Ignition or fuel?

Old October 19th 04, 03:41 PM
Chas Hurst

"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
> "Dana H. Myers" > wrote:
>
> >Chas Hurst wrote:
> >
> >> What Dana said.
> >> I'd try changing the fuel filter.
> >> Chas Hurst

> >I'd sort of suspect ignition before I'd suspect
> >running out of fuel.

> It may be. Should I tell them to test the ignition coil as
> per the manual, or just replace it to be safe? Anyone know
> how much the thing costs?
>
> Leon

When was the fuel filter last changed? When were ignition parts last
changed?
Ignition coils cost 10 times more than a fuel filter, that's one reason I
recommend changing the filter.

Chas Hurst

Old October 20th 04, 01:39 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"Larry Gadbois" > wrote:

>Hi Leon,
>
>You could have a dying coil pack. POPSTOY suggested that the terminals
>inside the coil pack can get corroded causing bad connections. Pull the
>wires and look for a white powder inside on the connectors.
>
>Water in the gas can cause this kind of problem. It accumulates in the
>bottom of the fuel filter as well as the bottom of the fuel tank. Sometimes
>that water can be sucked into the fuel flow at WOT. A alcohol fuel additive
>can be purchase that allows the water to mix with the gas and be burned
>without the backfiring.

The additive seems to have done the trick. At least I had no more
problems taking it out on the Interstate. With a drizzling rain,
the ignition is not likely to have improved. Also seems to explain
why I had hesitations at road roughness.

Thanks!
Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old October 20th 04, 01:51 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"Chas Hurst" > wrote:

>"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
.. .

>> >I'd sort of suspect ignition before I'd suspect
>> >running out of fuel.

>> It may be. Should I tell them to test the ignition coil as
>> per the manual, or just replace it to be safe? Anyone know
>> how much the thing costs?
>>
>> Leon

>When was the fuel filter last changed? When were ignition parts last
>changed?
>Ignition coils cost 10 times more than a fuel filter, that's one reason I
>recommend changing the filter.

It goes in the shop tomorrow and they will most definitely replace
the fuel filter (along with timing belt, its tensioners, water pump,
power window rollers, drive shaft, valve cover gasket, accessory belts,
water hoses, thermostat.) I am not yet sure about replacing the ignition
coil, especially since the fuel additive may have solved the problem.
Maybe I will just ask them to test it. I expect to be driving to
the state of Washington soon, so I would like to minimize potential
problems. It will probably already take me much more time than
people expect. )

Old October 20th 04, 06:13 AM
BRUCE HASKIN

Hi Leon,
When are you going to come to Washington ? If you come up from the
South, be sure you stop and see Mt. St Helens. It is still pushing up
Lava and it a sight you should not miss. Are you going to be in the
Seattle area ? I would like to talk to you and I will take you thru the
Musuem of Flight. ( I volunteer there.

Bruce RED '91

Old October 20th 04, 05:08 PM
BRUCE HASKIN

Hi Leon,

Sounds good. I will be looking forward to getting together with you.

Bruce RED '91

Old October 20th 04, 07:07 PM
Dana H. Myers

Chas Hurst wrote:

> When was the fuel filter last changed? When were ignition parts last
> changed?
> Ignition coils cost 10 times more than a fuel filter, that's one reason I
> recommend changing the filter.

If I'm going to experiment on the chance it's water in the
fuel system, I'd try a can or two of ethanol-based fuel
additive. Here in CA, we get to drink ethanol-dosed fuel
all year long, I rarely hear of issues with water in the
fuel system now. The biggest problem is for the gasoline
vendors to keep the fuel "dry" before selling it.

Dana
Old October 21st 04, 01:05 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"Dana H. Myers" > wrote:

>Chas Hurst wrote:
>
>> When was the fuel filter last changed? When were ignition parts last
>> changed?
>> Ignition coils cost 10 times more than a fuel filter, that's one reason I
>> recommend changing the filter.

>If I'm going to experiment on the chance it's water in the
>fuel system, I'd try a can or two of ethanol-based fuel
>additive.

Actually, the stuff I put in was methanol based. I forgot
the name. A four letter word with ee, IIRC.

Leon

Old October 21st 04, 04:07 AM
Chas Hurst

"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
news
> "Dana H. Myers" > wrote:
>
> >Chas Hurst wrote:
> >
> >> When was the fuel filter last changed? When were ignition parts last
> >> changed?
> >> Ignition coils cost 10 times more than a fuel filter, that's one reason

> >> recommend changing the filter.

> >If I'm going to experiment on the chance it's water in the
> >fuel system, I'd try a can or two of ethanol-based fuel
> >additive.

> Actually, the stuff I put in was methanol based. I forgot
> the name. A four letter word with ee, IIRC.
>
> Leon

I use rubbing alchohol. Cost 79 cents a pint at the super market. Methanol
can damage fuel injection components.
Alchohols prevent the freezing of water in your gas tank. They don't make
water mix with gas.

Chas Hurst