'90 MX5, cracks around door latch

Old October 29th 04, 02:33 PM
Tom Robeson

Default '90 MX5, cracks around door latch

I just bought a '90 Miata from a friend (he ordered it new,
took delivery in July '89-it has 142k miles) and there are
small cracks in the sheet metal around the latch on the
drivers door. What is the correct fix for this?

I have tons
of questions for the car, which as far as I can tell has
the following changes: Sebring supercharger, MSD ignition
control box, Koni shocks, larger radiator, roll bar,
different clutch and pressure plate, S.S. exhaust, motor
got new bottom end last year, and I can not think of the
brand of wheels on the car but my friend did comment that
they cost more than the cars trade in value!
All the work has been done at the original dealer, by the same
mechanic. Mobil One synthetic since day one. It has been auto
crossed a bit.
Thank you
Tom Robeson
Old October 30th 04, 01:44 AM
Chris D'Agnolo

Sounds like an awesome car, I'd love to know the athestetic condition and
how much you paid if you aren't offended by the question. I am a student of
miata pricing and I especially like the early Silverstone cars. Wish I could
help you on the body work question, sounds like bondo / primer and paint to
me.

If you haven't found it already, get to miata.net and imerse yourself, you
won't regret it! Also plenty of good help here but checking FAQ's at
miata.net first is always a good idea.

Enjoy,
Chris
92BB&T

om...

Old October 30th 04, 02:03 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2004-10-30, Chris D'Agnolo > wrote:

> Sounds like an awesome car, I'd love to know the athestetic condition and

aesthetic?

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I need to discuss
at BUY-BACK PROVISIONS
Old October 30th 04, 12:12 PM
Tom Robeson

Grant Edwards > wrote in message m>...
> On 2004-10-30, Chris D'Agnolo > wrote:
>
> > Sounds like an awesome car, I'd love to know the athestetic condition and

> aesthetic?

Just drove it last night, the wheels are Borbet, the car is in
excellent condition, my friend that had it is very particular
as reflected in his house and cars. The high miles are there
because he had it for 15 years and loved to drive it.

I have fixed cracks on other vehicles with the same problem, but
that would involved riveting a plate over the area. I just don't
want it to look like crap because the car is otherwise fine.
If I let it go then the edge of the door will someday tear out
around the latch.
Old October 30th 04, 02:15 PM
ROMAD

<< Just drove it last night, the wheels are Borbet, the car is in
excellent condition, my friend that had it is very particular
as reflected in his house and cars. The high miles are there
because he had it for 15 years and loved to drive it. >>

IIRC, you said that it was purchased in 1989, and had about 142,000 miles.
Sorry, but at less than 10,000 annual miles, that isn't "high miles' for the
age of the car. I would suspect that most 1990s are close to 200,000 miles; I
have almost 214,000. Of course that does include 1 round trip from California
to Ottawa, Canada for Northern Exposure; 1 round trip to Dallas, Texas for
MiataWorld; 1 round trip to Grand Junction, Colorado for a Flyin' Miata Open
House, and my daily driving.

Dennis B. Swaney
remove .zz to reply