So, why did they drop the headrest speakers ?

Old October 28th 04, 02:15 AM
Frank Berger

Worth a look, I guess. The headrests had cut-outs in the foam for speakers,
which I had to enlarge to put the 3.5 inch Infinities in, so imagine the
seat material should be a problem.

"Randy Maheux" > wrote in message
> At the risk if asking a really dumb question, is the upolstery material in
> front of the speakers perforated to let the sound out? My first Miata had
> the headrest speakers and there were perforations in the upolstery in

front
> of them. My 2003 has no such speakers, and there are no perforations in

the
> upolstery leather.
>
> Randy
>
> "Frank Berger" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message
> > > If you've delved into the headrest speaker issue, you've run into Jeff
> > > Anderson, he's the guru! You also know that a big part of why the std

> set
> > up
> > > sounds so bad is because the speaker wiring setup is most often all

> > screwed
> > > up (out of phase). Whatever you do, get his help to get the wiring

right
> .
> > > Secondly, I used his recomendation for people with an eye on value

> > (Maxx-5),
> > > he says that they sound as good or better than most speakers that

might
> > run
> > > you multiples more. I haven't heard all the available options, he has

> and
> > > haven't regretted taking his advice. He's a super nice guy, very

helpful
> > and
> > > reachable (at least he was at the time) thru miata.net. He fixes

several
> > > issues with the M1 factory stereo unit including the most frustrating

> one
> > > that keeps the unit from functioning when there's a touch of humidity

in
> > the
> > > air!
> > >
> > > Good luck,
> > > Chris
> > > 92BB&T

> > I've always been confused about this. I have a 96.5, which supposedly
> > doesn't have the wiring problem for which Jeff Anderson offers a fix. I
> > added Infinity 3.5" speakers to the driver's headrest (there was space

for

Old October 28th 04, 02:17 AM
Frank Berger

Old October 28th 04, 03:04 AM
L Bader

I'm not familiar with the strengths and/or limitations of the stock
stereo system. When I bought my '97 the original owner had already
installed a Blaupunkt head unit and disk changer, but not the
speakers.

Due to a dead left front channel, I upgraded the entire system. I
have installed a Kenwood Excelon MP3-capable head unit capable of
driving the 6-disk changer in the trunk. The headrest speakers are
Sony X-Plod 3-1/2s and the door speakers are Kenwood 6-3/4 components
with 1-1/2 tweeters.

The head unit allows me to cut all signal below 200Hz for the rear
channels, and because of the crossover in the components up front,
bass ferqs are generated soley by the 6-3/4s.

End result is a "forward" faded setting, with crystal clear sound at
80 mph with the topdown utilizing 60% of the headunit's capacity.
(And this is with the FM N/A Dual-Exhaust to boot!)

- L

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:47:39 -0500, "Frank Berger"
> wrote:

>"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message
>> If you've delved into the headrest speaker issue, you've run into Jeff
>> Anderson, he's the guru! You also know that a big part of why the std set

>up
>> sounds so bad is because the speaker wiring setup is most often all

>screwed
>> up (out of phase). Whatever you do, get his help to get the wiring right .
>> Secondly, I used his recomendation for people with an eye on value

>(Maxx-5),
>> he says that they sound as good or better than most speakers that might

>run
>> you multiples more. I haven't heard all the available options, he has and

>> haven't regretted taking his advice. He's a super nice guy, very helpful

>and
>> reachable (at least he was at the time) thru miata.net. He fixes several
>> issues with the M1 factory stereo unit including the most frustrating one
>> that keeps the unit from functioning when there's a touch of humidity in

>the
>> air!
>>
>> Good luck,
>> Chris
>> 92BB&T

>I've always been confused about this. I have a 96.5, which supposedly
>doesn't have the wiring problem for which Jeff Anderson offers a fix. I
>added Infinity 3.5" speakers to the driver's headrest (there was space for
>them but no OEM speakers). What I found was that they don't make a damn bit
>of difference. I had read reports of people adding headrest speakers and
>crowing that could hear the radio clear as a bell at high speed with the top
>down. In my case, the speakers are barely audible unless I scrunch down and
>put my ears directly in front of them. If I fade toward the headrest
>speakers to make them louder, I have to crank up the volume so that the door
>speakers still completely dominate. I can't get a comfortable balance, like
>in a regular car with front and rear speakers. I'm still using the stock
>front end and the OEM door speakers, so that could be an issue, but I don't
>see how. I would love it if someone could shed some light on this.

'97 STO, "Chouki"

// Change TEJAS to TX to reply via eMail //