Ignition or fuel?

Old October 21st 04, 03:01 PM
Leon van Dommelen

"Chas Hurst" > wrote:

>"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
>news

>> >If I'm going to experiment on the chance it's water in the
>> >fuel system, I'd try a can or two of ethanol-based fuel
>> >additive.

>> Actually, the stuff I put in was methanol based. I forgot
>> the name. A four letter word with ee, IIRC.
>>
>> Leon

>I use rubbing alchohol. Cost 79 cents a pint at the super market. Methanol
>can damage fuel injection components.
>Alchohols prevent the freezing of water in your gas tank. They don't make
>water mix with gas.

Well, the manufacturer seem to think it does:
http://www.goldeagle.com/heet/

See in particular FAQ #1.

Leon

>Chas Hurst
>
>> > Here in CA, we get to drink ethanol-dosed fuel
>> >all year long, I rarely hear of issues with water in the
>> >fuel system now. The biggest problem is for the gasoline
>> >vendors to keep the fuel "dry" before selling it.

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old October 21st 04, 03:09 PM
Chas Hurst

"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
> "Chas Hurst" > wrote:
>

> >"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
> >news

reason

> >> Actually, the stuff I put in was methanol based. I forgot
> >> the name. A four letter word with ee, IIRC.
> >>
> >> Leon

> >I use rubbing alchohol. Cost 79 cents a pint at the super market.

Methanol
> >can damage fuel injection components.
> >Alchohols prevent the freezing of water in your gas tank. They don't make
> >water mix with gas.

> Well, the manufacturer seem to think it does:
> http://www.goldeagle.com/heet/
>
> See in particular FAQ #1.
>
> Leon

Maybe I'm just dense. Could you repeat, virbatum, the part that states that
"HEET" mixes or causes to mix water and gas?

Old October 21st 04, 03:49 PM
Southoceandrive

"Chas Hurst" > wrote in message

> "Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
> > "Chas Hurst" > wrote:
> >

> > >"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in

message

last

> reason

> > >I use rubbing alchohol. Cost 79 cents a pint at the super market.

> Methanol
> > >can damage fuel injection components.
> > >Alchohols prevent the freezing of water in your gas tank. They don't

make
> > >water mix with gas.

> > Well, the manufacturer seem to think it does:
> > http://www.goldeagle.com/heet/
> >
> > See in particular FAQ #1.
> >
> > Leon

> Maybe I'm just dense. Could you repeat, virbatum, the part that states

that
> "HEET" mixes or causes to mix water and gas?

HEET changes the molecular composition of water to gasoline, by adding some
Cs to the existing Hs and Os. Newly developed HEET2 changes the molecular
composition of lead to gold. Look for it soon at a dealer near you!

Old October 22nd 04, 01:55 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"Chas Hurst" > wrote:

>"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
.. .
>> "Chas Hurst" > wrote:

>reason

>> >I use rubbing alchohol. Cost 79 cents a pint at the super market.

>Methanol
>> >can damage fuel injection components.
>> >Alchohols prevent the freezing of water in your gas tank. They don't make
>> >water mix with gas.

>> Well, the manufacturer seem to think it does:
>> http://www.goldeagle.com/heet/
>>
>> See in particular FAQ #1.
>>
>> Leon

>Maybe I'm just dense. Could you repeat, virbatum, the part that states that
>"HEET" mixes or causes to mix water and gas?

I do not know whether I can do it virbatum, but in the question I
quoted it says,

>HEET contains special additives and methanol. When HEET is added
>to the gas tank, it sinks to the bottom and mixes with any water.
>Since both HEET and water are heavier than gasoline, they go to the
>bottom of the gas tank. HEET absorbs water and keeps it from freezing,
>and blocking the flow of gasoline through the gas line and fuel pump.
>When the vehicle is started, the additives, methanol, water, and
>gasoline are consumed during combustion inside the engine.

In other words, they physically mix in going together through the
fuel lines. This may not be chemical mixing, but I and they
never claimed that.

Your claim was:

>Alchohols prevent the freezing of water in your gas tank. They don't make
>water mix with gas.

Leon

Old October 22nd 04, 04:32 AM
Chas Hurst

"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
> "Chas Hurst" > wrote:
>
> >> Well, the manufacturer seem to think it does:
> >> http://www.goldeagle.com/heet/
> >>
> >> See in particular FAQ #1.
> >>
> >> Leon

> >Maybe I'm just dense. Could you repeat, virbatum, the part that states

that
> >"HEET" mixes or causes to mix water and gas?

> I do not know whether I can do it virbatum, but in the question I
> quoted it says,
>
> >HEET contains special additives and methanol. When HEET is added
> >to the gas tank, it sinks to the bottom and mixes with any water.
> >Since both HEET and water are heavier than gasoline, they go to the
> >bottom of the gas tank. HEET absorbs water and keeps it from freezing,
> >and blocking the flow of gasoline through the gas line and fuel pump.
> >When the vehicle is started, the additives, methanol, water, and
> >gasoline are consumed during combustion inside the engine.

> In other words, they physically mix in going together through the
> fuel lines. This may not be chemical mixing, but I and they
> never claimed that.
>
> Your claim was:
>
> >Alchohols prevent the freezing of water in your gas tank. They don't make
> >water mix with gas.

> Leon

I'll stand by my statement. There's nothing in your quote from "HEET" that
states water and gas mix, although it is stated that "HEET" keeps water from
freezing-which is what I stated.
You need a course in reading comprehension.

Old October 22nd 04, 01:05 PM
Leon van Dommelen

"Chas Hurst" > wrote:

>"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
.. .

>> >Maybe I'm just dense. Could you repeat, virbatum, the part that states

>that
>> >"HEET" mixes or causes to mix water and gas?

>> I do not know whether I can do it virbatum, but in the question I
>> quoted it says,
>>
>> >HEET contains special additives and methanol. When HEET is added
>> >to the gas tank, it sinks to the bottom and mixes with any water.
>> >Since both HEET and water are heavier than gasoline, they go to the
>> >bottom of the gas tank. HEET absorbs water and keeps it from freezing,
>> >and blocking the flow of gasoline through the gas line and fuel pump.
>> >When the vehicle is started, the additives, methanol, water, and
>> >gasoline are consumed during combustion inside the engine.

>> In other words, they physically mix in going together through the
>> fuel lines. This may not be chemical mixing, but I and they
>> never claimed that.
>>
>> Your claim was:
>>
>> >Alchohols prevent the freezing of water in your gas tank. They don't make
>> >water mix with gas.

>> Leon

>I'll stand by my statement. There's nothing in your quote from "HEET" that
>states water and gas mix, although it is stated that "HEET" keeps water from
>freezing-which is what I stated.
>You need a course in reading comprehension.

Maybe it is just that I don't take it virbatum, but figure out
what it really means.

Old October 25th 04, 10:27 PM
Larry Gadbois

It is correct that the added alcohol will sink to the bottom and mix with
the water. All alcohols are "hydrophilic." Alcohols readily absorb water.
When alcohol is mixed with water it lowers the freezing temperature of the
water and prevents it from freezing and blocking the fuel flow in cold
weather. This is not the only benefit from adding an alcohol dryer to the
gas tank.

As the fuel sloshes around in the tank while driving, the water at the
bottom of the tank will often be sucked into the gas line. Some may be
trapped by the fuel filter, but some usually makes it into the engine where
it can displace the gasoline and cause misfiring. Alcohol is a lower
specific gravity than water and will mix more readily with the gasoline. If
enough alcohol is present to absorb all the water, the effect is a general
distribution of the water through the gas while the mixture is sloshed
around. The effect allows the water to be drawn out of the tank without
interfering with combustion.

Rubbing alcohol is available in many configurations. The cheap stuff is
usually a petroleum distillate called isopropyl alcohol and is 70% alcohol
and 30% water. This solution with high water content will burn without
problems in an alcohol lamp. The water is evaporated as steam into the air.
Isopropyl (or propanol) is not the best choice for adding to the gas tank
due to it's high water content. It will work as an antifreeze.

Ethanol gasoline is sold in many states. It is a mixture of gasoline with
10% to 15% ethanol alcohol. It is unnecessary to add additional alcohol for
reasons of "drying" or antifreeze protection to this type of gasoline.

Old October 26th 04, 01:30 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"Larry Gadbois" > wrote:

>As the fuel sloshes around in the tank while driving, the water at the
>bottom of the tank will often be sucked into the gas line. Some may be
>trapped by the fuel filter, but some usually makes it into the engine where
>it can displace the gasoline and cause misfiring. Alcohol is a lower
>specific gravity than water and will mix more readily with the gasoline. If
>enough alcohol is present to absorb all the water, the effect is a general
>distribution of the water through the gas while the mixture is sloshed
>around. The effect allows the water to be drawn out of the tank without
>interfering with combustion.

In any case, it seems to have solved my problem. Haven't had a hiccup
since.