Xpand Rally

Old January 17th 05, 06:06 AM
Magnulus

Default Xpand Rally

Anybody tried this game? In the US it would be an import, but it is
available on Amazon.com. I tried the demo and thought it was good. I like
the use of high dynamic range rendering, yet it isn't completely overkill
(it is resource intensive, though). The physics seem OK, but I'm not a
physics expert (the default FWD car in the demo was very twitchy under
acceleration, though). It seems to come closest to my "perfect rally sim"
in terms of features, especially the career mode.

Old January 17th 05, 08:37 AM
Alan Le

> Anybody tried this game? In the US it would be an import, but it is
> available on Amazon.com. I tried the demo and thought it was good. I

like
> the use of high dynamic range rendering, yet it isn't completely overkill
> (it is resource intensive, though). The physics seem OK, but I'm not a
> physics expert (the default FWD car in the demo was very twitchy under
> acceleration, though). It seems to come closest to my "perfect rally sim"
> in terms of features, especially the career mode.

I've nothing useful to say other than I'm interested in finding out if the
physics and FF are any different from the demo released way back when. I
thought the demo was kinda fun when I tried it (despite the marginal FF),
but I found it hard to play once I picked up RBR. Could just be that RBR's
default setups are more usable. Whatever it is, RBR is always a blast
despite the limited stages.

Alan

Old January 18th 05, 02:31 AM
Destroy

Try the newer Cross Rally Championship demo before picking up Xpand. CRC
had HDR also. Gfx aren't as nice as Xpand overall but the car handling
and physics are TONS better than Xpand.

Tweaking the car setups actually mean something in CRC. Xpand seemed
haphazard. Hint: you really have to spend the time to properly setup
your controller with the numerous sliders in the options menu.

Old January 20th 05, 07:13 AM
Magnulus

"Alan Le" > wrote in message
om...
> I've nothing useful to say other than I'm interested in finding out if the
> physics and FF are any different from the demo released way back when. I
> thought the demo was kinda fun when I tried it (despite the marginal FF),
> but I found it hard to play once I picked up RBR. Could just be that

RBR's
> default setups are more usable. Whatever it is, RBR is always a blast
> despite the limited stages.

For me what interests me most in Xpand Rally is the career mode and the
customization of the cars. I want another Need for Speed type game. But I
don't want the physics to be totally off, which is why I was a bit put off
by the frontwheel drive car in the demo. The FF seems OK.

Richard Burns Rally seems like a good enough game but I think the car
choices are too limited. The physics and stages seem realistic enough, to
me... but that's not really what I want in a game.