I'm Not the Only One Complaining About MFFY Behavior

Old September 12th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

Default I'm Not the Only One Complaining About MFFY Behavior

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> Look for the follow-up next week.
>
> http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/146053
>
> George Perlmutter has a question that Road Runner can't answer.
> "When a car pulls up to a red light and stops one or two car lengths
> behind the car in front of them, don't they realize that they may
> cause the cars behind them to miss getting through the intersection? I
> often wonder why they do this," he wrote.
> If you leave a lot of space between your car and the one in front of
> it, tell us why. Write or e-mail Road Runner at the addresses at the
> end of this column, and we'll print some of the responses next week.
> --
> I'm a wreckless driver and damn proud of it!

What I've seen a lot of are cars that stop short behind another car,
and then creep forward to a reasonable distance after they've stopped.
the car following, if it's a stickshift, may choose not to do the same
to save wear and tear on the clutch. Happened to me quite a bit; I
will stop a reasonable distance (just enough that I can swing onto the
shoulder if I have to) behind another car, and then he'll creep forward
10-15 feet or more, leaving a huge gap between us. Not sure why people
do this, unless they're just completely unable to modulate their
braking.

nate

Old September 12th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Mike T.

What I've seen a lot of are cars that stop short behind another car,
and then creep forward to a reasonable distance after they've stopped.
the car following, if it's a stickshift, may choose not to do the same
to save wear and tear on the clutch. Happened to me quite a bit; I
will stop a reasonable distance (just enough that I can swing onto the
shoulder if I have to) behind another car, and then he'll creep forward
10-15 feet or more, leaving a huge gap between us. Not sure why people
do this, unless they're just completely unable to modulate their
braking.

nate

I do that often when I've got somebody tailgating me. As I stop, I watch my
mirror to make sure the moron behind me stops. After we're both stopped,
then I close the gap. -Dave

Old September 12th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

N8N wrote:
> Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> > Look for the follow-up next week.
> >
> > http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/146053
> >
> > George Perlmutter has a question that Road Runner can't answer.
> > "When a car pulls up to a red light and stops one or two car lengths
> > behind the car in front of them, don't they realize that they may
> > cause the cars behind them to miss getting through the intersection? I
> > often wonder why they do this," he wrote.
> > If you leave a lot of space between your car and the one in front of
> > it, tell us why. Write or e-mail Road Runner at the addresses at the
> > end of this column, and we'll print some of the responses next week.

> What I've seen a lot of are cars that stop short behind another car,
> and then creep forward to a reasonable distance after they've stopped.
> the car following, if it's a stickshift, may choose not to do the same
> to save wear and tear on the clutch. Happened to me quite a bit; I
> will stop a reasonable distance (just enough that I can swing onto the
> shoulder if I have to) behind another car, and then he'll creep forward
> 10-15 feet or more, leaving a huge gap between us. Not sure why people
> do this, unless they're just completely unable to modulate their
> braking.

I think that describes Mr. Perlmutter's confusion. A line of vehicles
may stop at a light and the leader creeps forward, across the stop
line, through the crosswalk and the ducklings follow and close their
gaps... until the one thoughtful driver chooses to just sit and wait
and creates the space Mr. Perlmutter finds so mysterious and difficult
to compensate for.

I don't think drivers leaving 1-2 car-lengths to their front at stop
lights is a common occurance... I've never noticed it anyway.
-----

- gpsman

Old September 12th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ed White[_1_]

I often see people stop short of the car in front, and then eventually
close up. I suspect they stop short becasue they are being cautious.
For people with automatics, closing up is no big deal, just ease off
the brakes. For manual transmission drivers, more work, and wear and
tear on the clutch is involved.

I don't get particualrly worked up about gaps, but I do try to minimize
them myself. I do wish people would watch the light and keep moving
through intersections when the light turns green. A number of the
lights in my area change as soon as they see a gap in the traffic. This
is particuarly true for left turn arrows. I have noticed that quite a
few lights are very sensitive to gaps. As long as cars are steadily
moving past the detector loop, the light will stay green for a long
time, however, as soon as there is a significant gap (as little as 1
car length), the light immeadiately changes back to yellow, then red.

I tend to get more worked up by the uber drivers that try to take
advantage of minor gaps to cut in line. I have to make a left turn onto
a entrance ramp to I-40 on my way home from work. It is very common for
cars to try and cut into the left turn lane at the last minute, often
wedging into the gaps (sometimes small gaps) between cars that have
been patiently waiting for the light to change. One day last week, I
even saw an idiot in a Honda create a second left turn lane. When he
actually got to the ramp he ran the other car onto the shoulder. All
this to save at the most 1 minute - and probably less. Now that was
true MFFY behavior.

Ed