1997 Voyager Van Stalls then Starts

Old July 24th 06, 11:12 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
AMANDA MURPHY[_1_]

Default 1997 Voyager Van Stalls then Starts

My 1997 Plymouth Voyager Van (3.0 litre) will stall a couple times per day.
It can be at freeway speeds, or at idle. Mechanics can not diagnose it
because it has to be driven for a while, and they just let it idle or drive
it around the block once or twice.
It may start right up after the stall, or it could take 15 minutes or more,
but eventually starts. Spark? Fuel? Please help.

Old July 24th 06, 11:16 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
AMANDA MURPHY

BTW, the check engine never goes on, so there is probably no error code.
Thank you.

Old July 25th 06, 12:30 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

> BTW, the check engine never goes on, so there is probably no error code.
> Thank you.
>
> "AMANDA MURPHY" > wrote in message
> > My 1997 Plymouth Voyager Van (3.0 litre) will stall a couple times per
> > day. It can be at freeway speeds, or at idle. Mechanics can not

diagnose
> > it because it has to be driven for a while, and they just let it idle or
> > drive it around the block once or twice.
> > It may start right up after the stall, or it could take 15 minutes or
> > more, but eventually starts. Spark? Fuel? Please help.

Clean out the inside bore of the throttle body including the top and bottom
of the throttle blade. Take an old tooth brush or your husbands new one
which ever you prefer and a can of gum cutter or throttle body cleaner. Of
course the engine has to be when you do this.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old July 25th 06, 02:35 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
AMANDA MURPHY

Glenn,
What do you think is happening here in the throttle body? Is the butterfly
sticking? Why would the car start right up after sitting for 10 minutes or
so? Is there a sensor detecting a problem in the throttle body and shutting
off the car?
Thank you for your help.

Old July 25th 06, 03:38 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
AMANDA MURPHY

Ok, Glenn. I cleaned it all out. It had a coating of gum, but I can't see
how it was enough to restrict airflow. I mean, the car will die at 60 miles
per hour! Then maybe start right up.
Any other input?
Thank you for your help.
Amanda

Old July 25th 06, 05:41 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
AMANDA MURPHY

Thanks for trying. It stalled on me even with the clean throttle body. It
started after trying to crank the engine about 9 times. Not sure what to
do.

Old July 25th 06, 11:59 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

> Thanks for trying. It stalled on me even with the clean throttle body.

It
> started after trying to crank the engine about 9 times. Not sure what to
> do.
>

> "AMANDA MURPHY" > wrote in message
> > Ok, Glenn. I cleaned it all out. It had a coating of gum, but I can't
> > see how it was enough to restrict airflow. I mean, the car will die at

60
> > miles per hour! Then maybe start right up.
> > Any other input?
> > Thank you for your help.
> > Amanda
> >
> > "AMANDA MURPHY" > wrote in message
> >> My 1997 Plymouth Voyager Van (3.0 litre) will stall a couple times per
> >> day. It can be at freeway speeds, or at idle. Mechanics can not

diagnose
> >> it because it has to be driven for a while, and they just let it idle

or
> >> drive it around the block once or twice.
> >> It may start right up after the stall, or it could take 15 minutes or
> >> more, but eventually starts. Spark? Fuel? Please help.

That was the most common reason for that engine to stall, that would be the
first thing to do to try to eliminate the problem. If your car is stalling
just like that, then someone with a scan tool should be able to see what is
going on. You have so many post's in here and i dont remember if you said
you checked for any fault codes. And was there ever a scan tool connected.

Glenn

Old August 3rd 06, 06:25 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
CV

Hi Amanda,
You are reliving my 2000 van trouble. My trouble would occur as you
described but I noticed I was letting off of the throttle when it would
happen. Sometimes just lifting the pedal a bit and other times taking
my foot off to brake. I went through the battery of auto garage tests.
Replaced the fuel pump, filter, new plugs and wires, cleaned throttle
body and more. In the end my problem was the IAC (Idle Air Control
valve). It was dirty and sticking. I think I bought one at O'rielly and
I replaced it myself. Problem solved and not very expensive.
Chris

Old August 3rd 06, 07:25 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Abby Normal[_1_]

I went through this with my early Dakota, 3.9L V6. It ended up being 7-11
(Citgo) gas. After I went through that tank I put in Mobile gas and the
problem never resurfaced again. I don't have an answer for why either.
Just for giggles I tried it again about a year later and same thing
happened. Filled with Mobile gas and problem went away. It never
resurfaced again then I sold the truck about 2 years after. shrug....

ups.com...