Help With Dome Light Switch, Driver's Side, 93 YJ

Old November 12th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
D Gavilanes

Default Help With Dome Light Switch, Driver's Side, 93 YJ

I recently got my Jeep back from a shop after they replaced my Banks
TorqueTube header for the 4th time (part only under warranty, not
labor). In any case, I did not notice it at the time, but my dome light
switch is missing at least one wire, and when the door opens, the light
does not come on. Rolling the dimmer wheel to the click-stop causes the
light under the left dash to come on, but opening the door doesn't. Not
a big deal, except that my alarm monitors this door switch, and now my
alarm will reset itself, even when I have the door open and I'm getting
something out of the Jeep. Needless to say, the alarm goes off, while
I'm standing there with the door open. Which wires should be connected
to the two pin switch spade terminals on the driver side? Any help here
greatly appreciated.
Old November 13th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_8344_]

They may have pulled the fuse from the block that powers the dome light
via door switch ground.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old November 14th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Garth Almgren

On Nov 12, 3:35 pm, D Gavilanes > wrote:

> I recently got my Jeep back from a shop after they replaced my Banks
> TorqueTube header for the 4th time (part only under warranty, not
> labor). In any case, I did not notice it at the time, but my dome light
> switch is missing at least one wire, and when the door opens, the light
> does not come on. Rolling the dimmer wheel to the click-stop causes the
> light under the left dash to come on, but opening the door doesn't. Not
> a big deal, except that my alarm monitors this door switch, and now my
> alarm will reset itself, even when I have the door open and I'm getting
> something out of the Jeep. Needless to say, the alarm goes off, while
> I'm standing there with the door open. Which wires should be connected
> to the two pin switch spade terminals on the driver side? Any help here
> greatly appreciated.

As I'm sure you're aware, those wires designed to be easily unplugged
from the switch for when you are running doorless. One lead is the
"door ajar" buzzer for when your keys are in the ignition and the door
is open (I always leave this one disconnected). The other lead is the
dome light.

If the dome light lead has been disconnected, it should be hanging
from the loom behind the switch, or perhaps it was tucked up behind
the dash. Just shine a flashlight up there, and look for a wire with a
large plastic-covered terminal that isn't plugged into anything.

--
~/Garth - 1993 Wrangler S 2.5
{ }|||||||{ } "MukYJ"

Old November 16th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
D Gavilanes

Garth Almgren wrote:
> On Nov 12, 3:35 pm, D Gavilanes > wrote:
>
>> I recently got my Jeep back from a shop after they replaced my Banks
>> TorqueTube header for the 4th time (part only under warranty, not
>> labor). In any case, I did not notice it at the time, but my dome light
>> switch is missing at least one wire, and when the door opens, the light
>> does not come on. Rolling the dimmer wheel to the click-stop causes the
>> light under the left dash to come on, but opening the door doesn't. Not
>> a big deal, except that my alarm monitors this door switch, and now my
>> alarm will reset itself, even when I have the door open and I'm getting
>> something out of the Jeep. Needless to say, the alarm goes off, while
>> I'm standing there with the door open. Which wires should be connected
>> to the two pin switch spade terminals on the driver side? Any help here
>> greatly appreciated.

> As I'm sure you're aware, those wires designed to be easily unplugged
> from the switch for when you are running doorless. One lead is the
> "door ajar" buzzer for when your keys are in the ignition and the door
> is open (I always leave this one disconnected). The other lead is the
> dome light.
>
> If the dome light lead has been disconnected, it should be hanging
> from the loom behind the switch, or perhaps it was tucked up behind
> the dash. Just shine a flashlight up there, and look for a wire with a
> large plastic-covered terminal that isn't plugged into anything.
>

> --
> ~/Garth - 1993 Wrangler S 2.5
> { }|||||||{ } "MukYJ"

Garth, thanks for the reply. I didn't see wires that were disconnected
(I was suggesting that the mechanic disconnected the switch since the
door was probably left open all day, and they didn't bother reconnecting
the switch). In any case, do you know what the wire colors are for the
wires to that switch? I need to find those wires that belong to the two
spade terminals in the rat's nest next to the switch. Thanks in advance.

Doug
Old November 16th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Garth Almgren

On Nov 15, 4:37 pm, D Gavilanes > wrote:
> Garth Almgren wrote:
> > On Nov 12, 3:35 pm, D Gavilanes > wrote:

> >> I recently got my Jeep back from a shop after they replaced my Banks
> >> TorqueTube header for the 4th time (part only under warranty, not
> >> labor). In any case, I did not notice it at the time, but my dome light
> >> switch is missing at least one wire, and when the door opens, the light
> >> does not come on. Rolling the dimmer wheel to the click-stop causes the
> >> light under the left dash to come on, but opening the door doesn't. Not
> >> a big deal, except that my alarm monitors this door switch, and now my
> >> alarm will reset itself, even when I have the door open and I'm getting
> >> something out of the Jeep. Needless to say, the alarm goes off, while
> >> I'm standing there with the door open. Which wires should be connected
> >> to the two pin switch spade terminals on the driver side? Any help here
> >> greatly appreciated.

> > As I'm sure you're aware, those wires designed to be easily unplugged
> > from the switch for when you are running doorless. One lead is the
> > "door ajar" buzzer for when your keys are in the ignition and the door
> > is open (I always leave this one disconnected). The other lead is the
> > dome light.

> > If the dome light lead has been disconnected, it should be hanging
> > from the loom behind the switch, or perhaps it was tucked up behind
> > the dash. Just shine a flashlight up there, and look for a wire with a
> > large plastic-covered terminal that isn't plugged into anything.

> Garth, thanks for the reply. I didn't see wires that were disconnected
> (I was suggesting that the mechanic disconnected the switch since the
> door was probably left open all day, and they didn't bother reconnecting
> the switch). In any case, do you know what the wire colors are for the
> wires to that switch? I need to find those wires that belong to the two
> spade terminals in the rat's nest next to the switch. Thanks in advance.

No prob. I'll take a look when I get home tonight.

--
~/Garth - 1993 Wrangler S 2.5
{ }|||||||{ } "MukYJ"

Old November 16th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_8156_]

Most disconnect the door switches via pulling that fuse.

Old November 16th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Garth Almgren[_2_]

Around 11/15/2007 4:44 PM, I wrote:

> On Nov 15, 4:37 pm, D Gavilanes > wrote:
>> Garth Almgren wrote:
>>> If the dome light lead has been disconnected, it should be hanging
>>> from the loom behind the switch, or perhaps it was tucked up behind
>>> the dash. Just shine a flashlight up there, and look for a wire with a
>>> large plastic-covered terminal that isn't plugged into anything.

>> Garth, thanks for the reply. I didn't see wires that were disconnected
>> (I was suggesting that the mechanic disconnected the switch since the
>> door was probably left open all day, and they didn't bother reconnecting
>> the switch). In any case, do you know what the wire colors are for the
>> wires to that switch? I need to find those wires that belong to the two
>> spade terminals in the rat's nest next to the switch. Thanks in advance.

> No prob. I'll take a look when I get home tonight.

The lights are connected to the yellow wire, and the buzzer is the black
wire with a light blue stripe. Both should be coming off that thick loom
that heads to the back of the tub:

http://www.mukyj.com/images/DoorSwitch.jpg
(Flash washed out the color, but that's a yellow wire)

--
~/Garth - 1993 Wrangler S 2.5
{ }|||||||{ } "MukYJ"
Old November 16th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_8158_]

The door switch is nothing more than just a ground for the dome light
which is powered all the time by it's own fuse, separate from the headlight
control switch.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old November 16th 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Bertie the Bunyip

"L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III" > wrote in
:

> The door switch is nothing more than just a ground for the dome
> light
> which is powered all the time by it's own fuse, separate from the
> headlight control switch.

Ooops, wrong Billy!

Bertie

Old November 16th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Bertie the Bunyip

"L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III" > wrote in
:

> Most disconnect the door switches via pulling that fuse.

You mean you don't know how to replace a fuse.

Bertie>