Any Decent Jeep Repair Shops in Ornage Co, CA. To Recommend?

Old July 14th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
D Gavilanes

Default Any Decent Jeep Repair Shops in Ornage Co, CA. To Recommend?

Greetings. I've decided to throw some more money at my YJ and see if I
can find a shop to pull the head on my 4.0L and do whatever is necessary
to get rid of the loud exhaust noise blowing into my exhaust manifold
from the engine. It sounds like one of the Autopia putt-putt cars at
Disneyland when it is under demand (I'm tempted to say that it sounds
more like an old truck in TJ, but someone might be offended and want it
deported). Funny thing is that my exhaust manifold is in perfect
condition. It's embarrassing to drive lately because of the noise. I
hear other Jeeps configured like mine, and all I hear is the rich
Flowmaster woofing, but mine makes a hell of a racket under my feet and
in front of the firewall. My "master mechanics" said that I had
sticking #3 and #4 lifters when they pulled my valve cover, but that
they couldn't do anything without pulling the head and sending it out.
They elected not to do that because they were afraid that they might
cause problems with my valves or other original components after
rebuilding the head.

Any validity to this? I really want to have this problem fixed.
Harvey's no longer exists, and I don't know if Mike opened up another
shop around here. Any recommendations for a good Jeep shop?

Regards,

Doug Gavilanes
Garden Grove, CA.
Old July 14th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Lifters make a clack clack clack noise when they are sticky.

You really sound like you could be describing a loose manifold, I would
put a wrench on a couple of the bolts just to see.... You also could
maybe spray some WD40 or carb cleaner carefully along the intake/exhaust
gasket as it runs to see if you get a sputter. If you do, you have
found the trouble.

If your head needs work, a compression test will tell you. You need to
do one before you tear into anything.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...

Old July 14th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

I've heard good stuff about Jeeps-R-Us in Laguna Canyon. I don't know the
full address, but they were on Laguna Canyon Road the last I heard.

ink.net...

Old July 14th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
c[_1_]

Could be a cracked manifold too. They are quite common on the 4.0

Chris

Old July 15th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Hugh B. Williams

Mike Romain wrote:
> Lifters make a clack clack clack noise when they are sticky.

Mike makes a schlorp-schlorp sound when he's gagging down mancock.

> You really sound like you could be describing a loose manifold, I would
> put a wrench on a couple of the bolts just to see.... You also could
> maybe spray some WD40 or carb cleaner carefully along the intake/exhaust
> gasket as it runs to see if you get a sputter. If you do, you have
> found the trouble.
>
> If your head needs work,

Mike'll suck on it until it spews.
Old July 15th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Doug Gavilanes

Default Any Decent Jeep Repair Shops in Orange Co, CA. To Recommend?

Manifold is fine (replaced multiple times - Banks TorqueTube a few
months old). If let to idle for a long time, eventually, one of the
lifters begins making a loud tap-tap-tap that sounds like a small hammer
on metal (like it's low on oil). It comes and goes randomly, but only
happens after idling a long time. That's my sticky lifters. When I'm
driving, I hear exhaust noise, same as if I had a cracked manifold, on
other side of firewall in front of my feet. I thought that my manifold
had cracked again for the fourth time, but it's fine. Cat converter and
Flowmaster are fine, too, but noise is right at engine. I've spent good
money too many times paying labor to replace the crappy Banks manifold
that keeps cracking, but this time the manifold is fine. I used to have
more power, and pulling onto the freeway at 65mph (3200-3300rpm) was
never a problem. Now I have to floor it to develop 60mph when I need to
merge. Sometimes it gets there, other times I'm lucky if there's light
traffic and I can get in at 50mph. Eight months ago this engine ran
great, like new, and delivered between 13.5 and 14mpg. Now I get 9.5mpg
since winter. I had noisy ignition (detected on AM radio - I suspected
bad cables), so shop changed plugs. Cables, distributor cap, and rotor
were said to be fine at the time. Tires are 33s, gearing is 4.11. My
performance is down, my mileage is down 17%, and the YJ is noisy.

Misc. unrelated work performed on YJ in last 9 months:
replaced tires - old 32" BFG ATs, AR aluminum rims, with new 33" BFG
ATs, AR steel rims. Yeah, added weight.
replaced old Con-Ferr double tube bumpers with Warn rock bumpers with
tire swing-out. Yeah, another 50 - 60 pounds for the swing-out.
replaced brake power booster and rebuilt 2 brake cylinders, changed
brake lines. Now it actually stops.
replaced old Dick Cepek shocks/3" springs with new Skyjacker 4" springs,
RS5000 shocks. Still rides like hell (yeah, I should have gotten the
RS9000 shocks).

Odometer difference doesn't account for gross difference in mileage -
I've checked with GPS unit, actual vs. recorded looks like about 95%,
not 83%.

I'll ask what the shop found when they checked the compression - they
say that they checked, but didn't report results on the receipt/summary.

Regards,

Doug Gavilanes
Garden Grove, CA.

Old July 15th 07, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I would first take a halogen light and inspect the distributor cap with
it looking for white spider web marks (arc shorts) or just throw the
sucker out....

Then I would use a quart of ATF in the oil and drive for 100 miles or
so, then change the oil to try and clean the junk out of that lifter.

You also 'will' have a noticeable power loss when going from worn out
32's to new 33's....

Then I would take a chunk of garden hose, hold it to my ear and run the
other end around the exhaust manifold and header when it is running and
noisy figuring the bugger broke for the 5th time.... Some breaks only
'show' under torque or heat load...

Mike