Keeping new leather seats from cracking

Old November 5th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.misc
[email protected]

Default Keeping new leather seats from cracking

I plan on purchasing a new Lexus with leather seats. It has disturbed
me to see so many pre-owned vehicles with leather seats (3-4 years old)
with cracks in the leather
I keep my cars for atleast 10 years and want to do my best to preserve
the leather.
There are so many products out there such as Lexol, Leatherique,
Armor-all leather cleaner etc.
Some are all-in-one products, some have seperate cleaner and
conditioner.
Please share your advice on keeping the leather seats in top condition.
Which products? How often to treat? etc.

Old November 6th 06, 05:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.misc
Ashton Crusher

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 19:01:48 -0500, wrote:

>On 5 Nov 2006 15:56:23 -0800,
graced this
>newsgroup with:
>
>>I plan on purchasing a new Lexus with leather seats. It has disturbed
>>me to see so many pre-owned vehicles with leather seats (3-4 years old)
>>with cracks in the leather
>>I keep my cars for atleast 10 years and want to do my best to preserve
>>the leather.
>>There are so many products out there such as Lexol, Leatherique,
>>Armor-all leather cleaner etc.
>> Some are all-in-one products, some have seperate cleaner and
>>conditioner.
>>Please share your advice on keeping the leather seats in top condition.
>>Which products? How often to treat? etc.

>autosport.com has an excellent leather cleaner and (separate)
>conditioner. Also, you can't go wrong with Lexol.
>
>There's no excuse for cracked leather seats. That's just because the
>owner is plain lazy. It only takes a quick swipe with a decent
>cleaner and conditioner about every 3-4 months to keep the leather
>soft.

I've used several varieties of all in one cleaner and conditioner and
my leather in my 99GT still looks fine as far as any cracking. It
does show some abrasion in one small area, probably from cheap
leather.
Old November 7th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.misc
[email protected]

On 6 Nov 2006 09:48:52 -0800, "Daniel" >
graced this newsgroup with:

wrote:

>> Please share your advice on keeping the leather seats in top condition.
>> Which products? How often to treat? etc.

>===============
>Leatherique
>Oil twice a year
>Prestine clean as needed for quicker light conditioning
>Leatherique is applied the reverse of most leather treatment products.
>The rejuvinating oil is allowed to soak in, lifting out impurities,
>followed by a light application of Prestine Clean, damp cloth and then
>buffing with dry cloth.
>Leaves no slick or glossy residue, deep cleans, conditions.
>Sun is hard on leather.
>I live in Southern California where the sun can get very hot, but I
>don't like tinited windows, so when parking I use sun shades, front,
>side and rear.
>I too have seen neglected leather destroyed by prolonged sun exposure.
>Leather stays like new.

sounds like a great product. Any recommendations where to get it?

tks
Old November 7th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.misc
Daniel[_1_]

wrote:
> On 6 Nov 2006 09:48:52 -0800, "Daniel" >
> graced this newsgroup with:

> >Leatherique
> >

> sounds like a great product. Any recommendations where to get it?
>
> tks

===========================
LEATHERIQUE, 106 Englewood Road Aiken S.C. 29803, (877)395-3366
http://www.leatherique.com/

BTW, last week Prestine Clean removed ink marks from a ball point pen
poking out of the pocket of my teen age passenger. Took a lot of
rubbing and several applications, but did remove it the next day,
without harming the finish or color.
Looks like some of the black dye from new clothes also rubbed off on
the leather - removed that rather quickly.
Leatherique is more costly than other products, but you probably only
need to purchase once a year.
Got their start rejuvinating cardboard hard leather in a classic
Jaguar, details are on the web page.

Old November 7th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.misc
Bob[_15_]

"Daniel" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> wrote:
> > On 6 Nov 2006 09:48:52 -0800, "Daniel" >
> > graced this newsgroup with:

> > >Leatherique
> > >

> > sounds like a great product. Any recommendations where to get it?
> >
> > tks

> ===========================
> LEATHERIQUE, 106 Englewood Road Aiken S.C. 29803, (877)395-3366

http://www.leatherique.com/

> BTW, last week Prestine Clean removed ink marks from a ball point pen
> poking out of the pocket of my teen age passenger. Took a lot of
> rubbing and several applications, but did remove it the next day,
> without harming the finish or color.
> Looks like some of the black dye from new clothes also rubbed off on
> the leather - removed that rather quickly.
> Leatherique is more costly than other products, but you probably only
> need to purchase once a year.
> Got their start rejuvinating cardboard hard leather in a classic
> Jaguar, details are on the web page.

I used those products on my 2003 ES300 with excellent results. The beige
leather now looks like new.

Adding Leather Seats to a 2000 Mustang Convertible Jay Honeck Ford Mustang 2 October 20th 06 03:16 AM
perforated leather seats and baby spills voony Honda 2 April 21st 06 03:08 PM
APC Seats for Wrangler [email protected] Jeep 5 April 1st 06 03:42 AM
leather seats? Susan Honda 6 February 7th 06 08:35 AM
Keeping Leather Seats Cool - Ideas? Andy Entrekin General 1 June 12th 04 01:41 PM