Saw the new '07 Sebring Thursday

Old October 28th 06, 09:08 PM posted to alt.autos.chrysler.sebring,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
Dori A Schmetterling

Default Saw the new '07 Sebring Thursday

I can't understand why anyone would do that. Old-fashioned brakes,
old-fashioned and dangerous construction, probably no seat belts or air bag.

DAS

---

[....]

Old October 28th 06, 09:18 PM posted to alt.autos.chrysler.sebring,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
Dori A Schmetterling

And no modern safety features (all cars, not just American).

DAS

---

[...]

Old October 28th 06, 10:41 PM posted to alt.autos.chrysler.sebring,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
Joe Pfeiffer

"Dori A Schmetterling" > writes:
> "Joe Pfeiffer" > wrote in message
> [....]
> >
> > My daily driver is a 1978 Chrysler Newport.

> I can't understand why anyone would do that. Old-fashioned brakes,
> old-fashioned and dangerous construction, probably no seat belts or
> air bag.

So, you're not terribly familiar with US cars, are you? Of the list
you suggest, only "no air bag" is accurate.
Old October 28th 06, 11:55 PM posted to alt.autos.chrysler.sebring,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
[email protected]

On 28 Oct 2006 15:41:09 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer >
graced this newsgroup with:

>"Dori A Schmetterling" > writes:
>> "Joe Pfeiffer" > wrote in message
>> [....]
>> >
>> > My daily driver is a 1978 Chrysler Newport.

>> I can't understand why anyone would do that. Old-fashioned brakes,
>> old-fashioned and dangerous construction, probably no seat belts or
>> air bag.

>So, you're not terribly familiar with US cars, are you? Of the list
>you suggest, only "no air bag" is accurate.

did the 78's have disk brakes? I thought they had drums?

Old October 29th 06, 12:05 AM posted to alt.autos.chrysler.sebring,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
Ray O

> wrote in message
> On 28 Oct 2006 15:41:09 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer >
> graced this newsgroup with:
>

>>"Dori A Schmetterling" > writes:
>>> "Joe Pfeiffer" > wrote in message
>>> [....]

>>> I can't understand why anyone would do that. Old-fashioned brakes,
>>> old-fashioned and dangerous construction, probably no seat belts or
>>> air bag.

>>So, you're not terribly familiar with US cars, are you? Of the list
>>you suggest, only "no air bag" is accurate.

> did the 78's have disk brakes? I thought they had drums?

Front disc brakes, rear drums.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Old October 29th 06, 01:06 AM posted to alt.autos.chrysler.sebring,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
DeserTBoB

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 21:08:57 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling"
> wrote:

>I can't understand why anyone would do that. Old-fashioned brakes,
>old-fashioned and dangerous construction, probably no seat belts or air bag. <snip>

Schmetterling has outed himself as someone who posts about things he
knows nothing about.

"Safety equipment" had progressively been mandated on US cars since
1966.

The '78 Newport has:

1.) Front disc brakes
2.) 6 passenger lap belts, front 2 passenger shoulder belts.
3.) Far beefier construction than the later M-body version that came
shortly thereafter. The Ms had one safety flaw that was serious: lack
of side impact protection. Earlier C-bodies didn't have a problem
with that.
Old October 29th 06, 11:01 PM posted to alt.autos.chrysler.sebring,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
Dori A Schmetterling

So you're telling me that crumple zones and were so developed then as they
are now? Internal cabin design to minimise injury?

DAS

---

Old October 30th 06, 02:44 AM posted to alt.autos.chrysler.sebring,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
Joe Pfeiffer

"Dori A Schmetterling" > writes:
> "Joe Pfeiffer" > wrote in message
> [...]
> >
> > So, you're not terribly familiar with US cars, are you? Of the list
> > you suggest, only "no air bag" is accurate.

> So you're telling me that crumple zones and were so developed then as they
> are now? Internal cabin design to minimise injury?

There were huge improvements made in the 1960s, with only incremental
changes since then. By the early 1970s cars had side-impact beams,
collapsible steering columns, and, yes, designed-in crumple zones
along with active safety features like vastly improved brakes compared
to a decade earlier.. Is it *as* advanced as a modern car? No. The
modern car is able to get comparable levels of survivability with less
material. But the difference is probably less than the difference
between a modern small car and an SUV. To put it another way, my
crumple zone isn't as well designed as a Honda's, but I've got a *lot*
of crumple zone.

Going over to the NHTSA's crash test data site, I compared a 1979
Newport (that was the earliest I could find; the 1979 was a redesign
going to Chrysler's old mid-size platform, so it's a smaller car than
my 1978) against a 2006 Civic. The only directly comparable data was
head injury; for the Newport, head injury indexes in left and right
front seats were 897 and 106. They tested two Civics and only gave
information for left side front and rear for both. For one, left side
front head injury criterion was 237 and rear was 751; for the other,
the numbers were 356 and 355. So the Honda scores better, but they
are close enough to have substantial overlap -- my passenger is in
better shape than the Honda's driver.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/databas...o.aspx?LJC=181
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/databas...ryvehicle.aspx

Incidentally, results for a 1979 Honda Civic showed head injury
criteria of 2029 and 2095 for front left and right seats.
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/databas...fo.aspx?LJC=94
Old October 30th 06, 03:12 PM posted to alt.autos.chrysler.sebring,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.nissan
Dori A Schmetterling

I accept your point about much of the progress having been made by the early
seventies, though I wonder if all the features actually helped (side-impact
beams are good only if designed correctly) but, anyway, the NHTSA's facts
speak for themselves.

It is interesting that you should take a Japanese car for comparison. When
I was following European crash test results in the nineties (usually
conducted by consortia of leading motoring organisations and trade mags or
newspapers) the Japanese cars performed poorly compared with European
models, and some European models performed markedly worse than others.
'American' cars (i.e. those made in the USA as opposed to made by
American-owned companies) were never tested because there were too few of
them being sold.

However, within a product line there would usually be improvements so that,
e.g. I would expect a Chysler of today (or of 5 years ago) to perform
significantly better than one of 20 years ago in safety and handling.

DAS

---