Old Tank Syndrome

Old July 6th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
JSCharter

Default Old Tank Syndrome

I've heard mention before about old tank syndrome. What parameters are
in place that lead to this problem so I can head such an event off?
Thanks for the help
Old July 6th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Koi-Lo

"JSCharter" wrote in message
I've heard mention before about old tank syndrome. What parameters are in
place that lead to this problem so I can head such an event off?
Thanks for the help

=====================
Few or no partial water changes over time. Water evaporates and leaves
behind the minerals and pollutants. These build up and build up until the
water in the tank is nothing like the water from your tap.

Do 50% or more water changes at least several times a month to prevent this
from happening.
--
KL....
Aquariums since 1952.

Old July 6th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Marco Schwarz

Hi..

I've heard mention before about old tank syndrome. What
parameters are in place that lead to this problem so I can
head such an event off? Thanks for the help

Well the expression "Old Tank Syndrome" seem to be more
popular to the North American Audience than (or then? -
will never learn to decide between both..) to the
continental Europeans.

Personally I've ever had tanks with "Old Water", too.

HTH.
--
cu
Marco
Old July 6th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Victor Martinez

Koi-Lo wrote:
Few or no partial water changes over time. Water evaporates and leaves
behind the minerals and pollutants. These build up and build up until
the water in the tank is nothing like the water from your tap.

This, IME, only applies to non-planted tanks.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 6th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Koi-Lo

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Koi-Lo wrote:
Few or no partial water changes over time. Water evaporates and leaves
behind the minerals and pollutants. These build up and build up until
the water in the tank is nothing like the water from your tap.

This, IME, only applies to non-planted tanks.

============================
Not true! All my tanks are planted and I've had the water change
drastically from what comes from my tap. When I broke my leg I couldn't do
water changes for weeks - about 2 months. OTS reared it's ugly head when I
started changes. I had to do a little at a time, like 20% every other day.
Even with plants water evaporates and more must be added.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old July 6th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Victor Martinez

Koi-Lo wrote:
Not true! All my tanks are planted and I've had the water change
drastically from what comes from my tap. When I broke my leg I couldn't
do water changes for weeks - about 2 months. OTS reared it's ugly head
when I started changes. I had to do a little at a time, like 20% every
other day. Even with plants water evaporates and more must be added.

I add water when I notice the level has dropped, perhaps once every
month or so? Don't really do water changes, perhaps once a year when I
decide to use the python to clean up some of the debris that tends to
accumulate in the forest of vals.
I've been operating like this for many years now with no issues.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 6th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Koi-Lo

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message

I add water when I notice the level has dropped, perhaps once every month
or so? Don't really do water changes, perhaps once a year when I decide to
use the python to clean up some of the debris that tends to accumulate in
the forest of vals.
I've been operating like this for many years now with no issues.

===========================
That's great. Our tanks need topping up at least once a week in my climate.
I vac the gravel at least twice a month, sometimes more often because
Goldfish are messy fish. ;-) I try to do water changes every week but in
the summer I only get to it 3 times a month. When I do the water changes
they're quite large, leaving only enough to cover the fish's dorsal fins.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old July 6th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
dc

JSCharter wrote in news:Xjarg.4966$Oh1.2766
@news01.roc.ny:

I've heard mention before about old tank syndrome. What parameters are
in place that lead to this problem so I can head such an event off?
Thanks for the help

Lack of water changing, mulm removal, and filter maintenance leads to a
large accumulation of undissolved waste particles and high concentrations
of dissolved nitrate (nitric acid) leading to a pH crash over time and a
gradual break-down of the biological filter.

Don't ignore your regular maintenance and you won't encounter this problem.
Old July 7th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
dc

Victor Martinez wrote in news:4h5aniF1p8d79U1
@individual.net:

Koi-Lo wrote:
Few or no partial water changes over time. Water evaporates and leaves
behind the minerals and pollutants. These build up and build up until
the water in the tank is nothing like the water from your tap.

This, IME, only applies to non-planted tanks.

That only applies to tanks that a very heavily planted and lightly stocked.

Even in that circumstance, if all you are doing is toping up for
evaporation you are still going to get a gradual build-up of dissolved
elements that plants do not remove.

More often than not, unless you have a ton of plants and only a few small
fish the amount of waste being produced in the aquarium still exceeds the
amount taken up by plants. A planted tank is not a complete ecosystem. The
conversion of nitrate into free nitrogen gas is not occurring.

Old July 7th 06, 10:35 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Dick

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 00:57:24 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

"dc" wrote in message
1...
JSCharter wrote in news:Xjarg.4966$Oh1.2766
@news01.roc.ny:

I've heard mention before about old tank syndrome. What parameters are
in place that lead to this problem so I can head such an event off?
Thanks for the help

Lack of water changing, mulm removal, and filter maintenance leads to a
large accumulation of undissolved waste particles and high concentrations
of dissolved nitrate (nitric acid) leading to a pH crash over time and a
gradual break-down of the biological filter.

Don't ignore your regular maintenance and you won't encounter this
problem.

I agree. My tanks are moderately to heavily planted,
with small fish and not overstocked, and I still do
partial water changes at least once per month. My
largest tank (only a 30 G) especially will experience
a pH drop if I don't keep up with it.

To add one more thing for the OP: It might be
worth running some basic water tests until you
get a feeling for the range of nitrates, pH, and
hardness in your tanks. My pH tends to run
high naturally (tap water is hard and alkaline) so
if I notice pH dropping I know I've let the
vacuuming go too long!

Gail

Might as well add my 2 cents.

I have read that the OTS is not detected by normal aquariam tests.
Some time back, one fellow wanted to test for the condition and found
the equipment ran into hundreds of dollars.

Since the fish are exposed to the change in density over time, current
stock will adapt, thus no warning.

Problems start with addition of new fish. The osmotic pressure in the
old tank is higher than what stock tanks, that is routinely serviced
tanks, are. The new fish cannot exchange their low pressure insides
with the new high pressure fast enough.

I don't "know" anything I have just written, I am merely parroting
what my miserable memory has stored from what others have written.

A Goggle search will bring more mystifying information.

dick