Logitech MOMO vs older Guillemot Ferrari Wheel

Old March 4th 05, 09:37 PM
Howard Roark

Default Logitech MOMO vs older Guillemot Ferrari Wheel

Does anyone have experience with both these wheels? I've had the
Guillemot Ferrari wheel for years, and there's nothing wrong with it,
but I was curious as to whether a newer wheel like the Logitech MOMO
offers anything in the way of improvement? The only real complaint I've
ever had with the Ferrari wheel is that "notchy" feeling. If you've used
it, you probably know what I mean.

Anyone used both? How would you compare the two, both with regards to
build quality and gameplay. The sims I play most often are GPL with
various mods, and F1 2002 with various mods. I'd also be inclined to
check out GTR when it's available here.

Thanks for any insights.
Old March 4th 05, 09:47 PM
mcewena

Me.

I was quite happy with my TM/Guillemot wheel but bought a Momo when I
saw it on sale. I couldn't beleive the difference afterwards. The TM
felt heavy at a place like Zandrvoort, I often felt I couldn't steer
fast enough if the FF was turned on, Momo felt totally different, much
quicker wheel.

Now to be fair the TM was 2 years old at the time, now 2 years later
and I just raced Zandy again last night and sometimes if I steered
against the FF too fast the wheel didn't re-centre properly afterwards
(belt lose?).

Pedals are slightly child-like compared to TM but brake has a stiffer
feel then throttle which is nice.

The logitech drivers & button profiler software is much better (more
stable) then the TM stuff.

Old March 4th 05, 10:38 PM
Malc

"mcewena" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Me.
>
> I was quite happy with my TM/Guillemot wheel but bought a Momo when I
> saw it on sale. I couldn't beleive the difference afterwards.

Me too, when I first bought a wheel (after racing for years with a joystick)
I got a TM FF wheel & was very happy with the feedback (with the 10.xx
drivers) and really liked the meaty pedals. Unfortunately the pedal base
broke after 3 weeks & I replaced it with a Momo Force (red one). The pedals
were much lighter but adding a squash ball under the brake made a big
improvement, and while I was happy enough with the TM feedback the Logitech
wheel really is in another league. Noisy gears but really superb feedback.

After 30 months the Momo has a little play around dead centre and the squash
ball could do with replacing, but it's still absolutely solid, although
admittedly I look after it.

The drivers are imo more user-friendly than the TM ones, although it depends
on what you are used to I guess.

For gpl I use the following FF settings in my core.ini:

[ Joy ]
allow_force_feedback = 1
force_feedback_damping = 10.000
force_feedback_latency = 0.016
max_steering_torque = 300.000

I like the forces light enough to tell me what's going on without dictating
where the car goes, and with the squash ball it's very easy to consistently
apply the right pressure to the brakes, and modulate. The pedals are hinged
though, which is a little odd at first & not to everyone's taste but I find
them comfortable to use for extended periods.

If you are happy with the TM I'd say you won't be disappointed by the
Logitech wheel, and apart from the weight of the pedal springs I'd say it's
better in all respects.

The Momo /racing/ wheel (black one) has the same (or better) ff, but I
believe it uses plastic for things like the paddles & bearings rather than
cast alloy & ball bearings in the Momo Force. Longevity might be an issue,
but they are pretty cheap & still available ;-)

hth, Malc.

Old March 5th 05, 05:40 AM
Juan Vizoso

Hi Howard .. I have had both .. In my opinion the MOMO wins hands down ..
the Guillemot wheel had some worrying problems with centering and
oscillations , but what really impressed me was the accuracy of the MOMO ..
to put it succinctly ...

with the ferrari wheel maybe I got get down to within 6 inches of the apex
consistently, but with the MOMO it was within two inches every time ...

My only problem with the MOMO is the black dye in the hand-stitched leather
wheel makes a mess of my hands .. but it was apparently only a problem with
a few batches of leather.
Yep as the other guys say here, better software, better
config utilities and a good website for support.
Hasta la
vista, Juan.