2002 Trailer hitch

Old October 25th 04, 12:42 AM
Recoil Rob

Default 2002 Trailer hitch

My 2002 XLT came with a Class II, 1-1/4" receiver hitch. I'd like to
replace it with a Class III, 2" hitch.

Is it a simple matter of unbolting the original and bolting on the new
one or is there some welding to contend with?

Thanks, Rob
Old October 25th 04, 01:05 AM
John

Valley Industries makes exactly what you need for your 2002 - hitch # 82430.
Works great, got one myself, no drilling, no welding.
http://www.valleyorders.com/ISheets/82430.pdf

om...

Old October 25th 04, 03:05 AM
knagy389us

You're a little ahead of me, I'm planning the same, but too busy right now.
Pretty sure you can unbolt it and bolt on another. I've been looking and
there are not many that fit the Explorer. The nice one from Ford is like
$450, way too much, though it would fit the best. Let me know what you
find as I'm doing the same.

Ken

Old October 25th 04, 12:25 PM
fffffffffffffffffffffffff

On 2002 and later models the hitch receiver (either 1 1/4" or 2") is an
integral part of the frame - you cannot unbolt it. That is why I recommended
the Valley Hitch # 82430 in my previous e-mail (I also included a diagram).
It slides right into the existing factory 1 1/4" receiver, and then bolts to
it and to the frame.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old October 26th 04, 05:17 AM
Recoil Rob

Thanks, that's the info I was looking for..
Regards,
Rob

Old October 27th 04, 04:02 PM
SmartyPants

>> On 2002 and later models the hitch receiver (either 1 1/4" or 2") is an
>> integral part of the frame - you cannot unbolt it. That is why I
>> recommended
>> the Valley Hitch # 82430 in my previous e-mail (I also included a
>> diagram).
>> It slides right into the existing factory 1 1/4" receiver, and then bolts
>> it and to the frame.

I guess I misunderstood what a dealer said. I thought he said I could
remove the 1 1/4" receiver from where it bolted to the frame and replace it
with a 2" receiver on any 2002 and newer.
reply address bot resistant and human safe

Old October 28th 04, 02:08 AM
John

You could be very right - never thought of that approach. Certainly worth
looking into.

For me it was easier to just buy the new hitch from Valley.

Old October 28th 04, 12:10 PM
knagy389us

Hmm, guess I was also under the impression that the hitch could be
unbolted. I took a quick look and it looked to be bolted to the frame at
the ends. Ford also sells the bigger hitch which looks like a bolt on.
But the Valley Ind. is a good solution being cheaper and easier. I
misunderstood how it worked.

Thanks
Ken