Stratus humming in front end

Old March 1st 05, 08:14 AM

preedRI wrote:
> I have the exact same problem happening on my 93 plymouth

sundance/duster,
> but its a recent problem. Do you think my barrings are also the

problem,
> and if so how can i fix it?

46 posts???? WOW, I wish I had this much response to my MS Access
problem..

Anyways, the problem was the front right bearing.

And the winner is, Maxpower (Goog thing too, I don't need to send him
the bill)

Thanks everyone!

Don

Old March 1st 05, 10:32 AM
maxpower

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> preedRI wrote:
> > I have the exact same problem happening on my 93 plymouth

> sundance/duster,
> > but its a recent problem. Do you think my barrings are also the

> problem,
> > and if so how can i fix it?

> 46 posts???? WOW, I wish I had this much response to my MS Access
> problem..
>
> Anyways, the problem was the front right bearing.
>
> And the winner is, Maxpower (Goog thing too, I don't need to send him
> the bill)
>
> Thanks everyone!
>
> Don

And I was gonna work overtime to have to pay it

Old March 1st 05, 04:28 PM

Jack Idler wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > preedRI wrote:
> > > I have the exact same problem happening on my 93 plymouth

> > sundance/duster,
> > > but its a recent problem. Do you think my barrings are also the

> > problem,
> > > and if so how can i fix it?

> > 46 posts???? WOW, I wish I had this much response to my MS Access
> > problem..
> >
> > Anyways, the problem was the front right bearing.
> >
> > And the winner is, Maxpower (Goog thing too, I don't need to send

him
> > the bill)
> >
> > Thanks everyone!
> >
> > Don
> >

> 47, 48, 49....
>
> Well, maybe the real winner is you.
>
> I'd be interested in knowing about the repair. Any comment on how

bad the
> bearing really was? Any wheel looseness? Any effort by the repairer

> verify your suspicions about which bearing it was?
>
> TIA

I looked over the wheel pretty good before I ever posed the question
here. The wheel was fine, no movement or play at all. The steering
was also fine and the car drove straight. All we had was the noise.

I finally took it to a shop and had them put the bearing in because I
could not get the axle nut off (that's a story all in itself). I had
everything else off but that. They had a little trouble with that, but
otherwise no news from the shop....... oh, except for the fact, they
said I need new brakes, caliper, and the disc turned ($300).

Don

Old March 2nd 05, 10:24 AM
maxpower

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Jack Idler wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > ups.com...

> > > sundance/duster,
> > > problem,
> > >
> > > 46 posts???? WOW, I wish I had this much response to my MS Access
> > > problem..
> > >
> > > Anyways, the problem was the front right bearing.
> > >
> > > And the winner is, Maxpower (Goog thing too, I don't need to send

> him
> > > the bill)
> > >
> > > Thanks everyone!
> > >
> > > Don
> > >

> > 47, 48, 49....
> >
> > Well, maybe the real winner is you.
> >
> > I'd be interested in knowing about the repair. Any comment on how

> bad the
> > bearing really was? Any wheel looseness? Any effort by the repairer

> > verify your suspicions about which bearing it was?
> >
> > TIA

> I looked over the wheel pretty good before I ever posed the question
> here. The wheel was fine, no movement or play at all. The steering
> was also fine and the car drove straight. All we had was the noise.
>
> I finally took it to a shop and had them put the bearing in because I
> could not get the axle nut off (that's a story all in itself). I had
> everything else off but that. They had a little trouble with that, but
> otherwise no news from the shop....... oh, except for the fact, they
> said I need new brakes, caliper, and the disc turned ($300).
>
> Don

No winner....just alot of good input from everyone....

Old March 2nd 05, 08:03 PM
maxpower

"Jack Idler" > wrote in message

> > > I looked over the wheel pretty good before I ever posed the question
> > > here. The wheel was fine, no movement or play at all. The steering
> > > was also fine and the car drove straight. All we had was the noise.
> > >
> > > I finally took it to a shop and had them put the bearing in because I
> > > could not get the axle nut off (that's a story all in itself). I had
> > > everything else off but that. They had a little trouble with that,

but
> > > otherwise no news from the shop....... oh, except for the fact, they
> > > said I need new brakes, caliper, and the disc turned ($300).
> > >
> > > Don

> > No winner....just alot of good input from everyone....
> >

> This must be 55!
>
> Glenn, I'm still thinking about this one.
>
> Last summer, I had a front bearing on a minivan that had been singing at

me
> for a few weeks.
> I used the "turn one way, turn the other" method to convince myself the

bad
> one was on the left
> because it got noisier in a right turn. I already had a bearing so took

the
> vehicle in to the
> dealership to get it changed out before a trip. I asked the tech. to

drive
> the van first to confirm my
> diagnosis, which he did, and changed the left bearing. Didn't help.
>
> We got the vehicle up, drove the front wheels and listened on both

knuckles
> with a stethoscope.
> The new one on the left was quiet, of course. The right one had been the
> growler. Another bearing
> on that side fixed it.
>
> I'm convinced there's a bit more too this than there is as with a couple

of
> tapered rollers running on
> a spindle and where the old method of detection was pretty absolute. As
> Bill Putney explained, there
> are some moments of force working here and I think it matters, too, where

in
> the bearing the first distress
> begins.
>
> Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, if I hear a bearing and it sounds like

it's
> on one side or the other,
> well, maybe it is, maybe it isn't...and that takes us back to about post
> number 3... ..but at least there's
> a good way to confirm it.
>
> That's all from me, folks.

Your still thinking about it?? Damn im trying to get that out of my head ,
This has been one of the most confusing post I ever replied to. Bill makes
alot of sense and I can understand what he is saying, But like I said, I
only work On Chrysler Products, I cant compare them to GM or Ford or
whatever. Just seems to me that a bearing is a bearing., When ever I hear a
bearing noise that is loud enough to hear or feel I just drive the vehicle
and load and unload from side to side. Now if the noise is very slight, I
will have to use the stethoscope or electric ears to pinpoint