1994 Ford Explorer 4x4 5 speed not engaging in 4hi or 4low

Old November 26th 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
medic

Default 1994 Ford Explorer 4x4 5 speed not engaging in 4hi or 4low

transfer case problem not engaging in 4hi or 4 low light stays on wont
turn off uless you turn car off, here a clicking in back panel , had
truck serviced ,ford states that cant tell me what problem is. dealer
said they need truck for a couple days to diagnose , any suggestions.
thank you

Old November 26th 06, 07:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

medic wrote:
> transfer case problem not engaging in 4hi or 4 low light stays on wont
> turn off uless you turn car off, here a clicking in back panel , had
> truck serviced ,ford states that cant tell me what problem is. dealer
> said they need truck for a couple days to diagnose , any suggestions.
> thank you

That's a pretty common problem. Here's a page with all the info you
need to fix it:
http://tinyurl.com/y9d8bu

Excerpt:
4X4 Shift Motor Rebuild
This is a general how-to thread for fixing the transfer case shift
motor for the 4X4 models. Many posts on this site have been great
sources of information, but pictures are worth thousands of words. I
wanted to put something up for people to point others to when they have
4X4 problems. So here am going to list some key words to help the
searchers:
Transfer Case Electric Shift Motor 4X4 4x4 4WD 4wd 4X Borg Warner 13-54
BW1354 BW13-54

First thing is where is that 4X4 shift motor? You have to crawl
underneath and look at the back of the transfer case (which is behind
the transmission).

Old November 27th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

> wrote in message
oups.com...

medic wrote:
> transfer case problem not engaging in 4hi or 4 low light stays on wont
> turn off uless you turn car off, here a clicking in back panel , had
> truck serviced ,ford states that cant tell me what problem is. dealer
> said they need truck for a couple days to diagnose , any suggestions.
> thank you

That's a pretty common problem. Here's a page with all the info you
need to fix it:
http://tinyurl.com/y9d8bu

Excerpt:
4X4 Shift Motor Rebuild
This is a general how-to thread for fixing the transfer case shift
motor for the 4X4 models. Many posts on this site have been great
sources of information, but pictures are worth thousands of words. I
wanted to put something up for people to point others to when they have
4X4 problems. So here am going to list some key words to help the
searchers:
Transfer Case Electric Shift Motor 4X4 4x4 4WD 4wd 4X Borg Warner 13-54
BW1354 BW13-54

First thing is where is that 4X4 shift motor? You have to crawl
underneath and look at the back of the transfer case (which is behind
the transmission).

Before taking the motor off and taking it apart I strongly suggest doing the
'ol tap it with a hammer (very gently) trick while someone is pushing the
button. It worked for me (once, anyway).