cabling?

Old June 28th 06, 07:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default cabling?

Hi,

Does Honda only use one set of cabling in a certain type of car, and then
the difference in trim levels is only a matter of leaving out / installing
certain components?
If they use different cabling for different trim levels then installing for
instance auto cruise would be impossible later on....

Perhaps any links on where I could find this kind of cabling info?

Thanks,
Jan

Old June 28th 06, 12:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"JanN" > wrote in
l:

> Hi,
>
> Does Honda only use one set of cabling in a certain type of car, and
> then the difference in trim levels is only a matter of leaving out /
> installing certain components?

For the most part, yes. It's a lot cheaper that way.

However, wiring looms between different models are often quite different
(auto tranny vs manual, hatch vs sedan, 4-door vs 2-door, etc).

> If they use different cabling for different trim levels then
> installing for instance auto cruise would be impossible later on....

This is often possible...

> Perhaps any links on where I could find this kind of cabling info?

Not that I'm aware of, outside of workshop manuals that have electrical
information. If you haven't got one of those, you can get wiring
information by buying a short-term subscription to Honda's Techinfo site
he
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp

Probably your best bet is to find an example of your car with cruise at a
dealer or wreckers and ask to look under the hood, then compare the
connectors with your own car.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old June 28th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On 6/28/06 1:40 AM, in article
, "JanN"
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does Honda only use one set of cabling in a certain type of car, and then
> the difference in trim levels is only a matter of leaving out / installing
> certain components?
> If they use different cabling for different trim levels then installing for
> instance auto cruise would be impossible later on....
>
> Perhaps any links on where I could find this kind of cabling info?
>
> Thanks,
> Jan

My experience with adding options from higher trim levels, or just options,
on my Hondas has been that some of the wiring is already there, but where
there needs to be additional cables (e.g. fog light harness), they use a
through and through connection - disconnect the factory harness, plug it
into the option's harness, then plug that into the original terminal block.

Depending on what you plan to install, take a look at Majestic Honda's
accessory list and download the installation instructions. Honda is pretty
good about giving step by step instructions on running the wires,
connections, etc.

Old June 29th 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Thanks for the info. I'll check Majestic and go look for a manual.
Looking for an identical with this option (in my case auto cruise) at a
wrecker or dealer is impossible. This model Accord (1996 wagon) is
very, very rare in Europe, even the top of the range model did not come
with cruise standard.... The Accord 4 door version at that time was a
European Accord, this cannot be compared. Mine is built in the US
(Accord Wagon), 2.2l 4 cyl..
On Ebay stores it seems I can find the various cruise components:
motor, ECU, dash switch and steering controls. Now my challenge
is to figure out whether I can get this to work....
I would prefer this over an aftermarket cruise set.

Old June 29th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

JanN wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does Honda only use one set of cabling in a certain type of car, and then
> the difference in trim levels is only a matter of leaving out / installing
> certain components?
> If they use different cabling for different trim levels then installing for
> instance auto cruise would be impossible later on....
>
> Perhaps any links on where I could find this kind of cabling info?
>
> Thanks,
> Jan

---------------------------------

Normally I'm totally in favor of 'stock', but considering your location,
the rarity, and the amount of goofing around it's going to take, you
should go aftermarket. If you can get the Accord wiring manual, you
might be able to go DIY.

I'll send you a picture of the 'alarm harness' from an Accord Wagon. I
bought the whole thing (eBay) for my CR-V and just used the parts I
needed. I still had to buy the CR-V version of the 'install kit' but
when you see how many connectors is on this 'kit' (24), you'll see that
aftermarket may be the way to go. Maybe I should sell you this harness
so you won't have to chop up any of yours ? :-)
Picture coming separately.

'Curly'