Noise on front part of car and SES light

Old August 16th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Metalaid

Default Noise on front part of car and SES light

Hey guys!!
I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT. It has about 61k miles. I've done
maintenance on it regularly. Switched the head gaskets and components,
changed shock absorbers, etc. I do the oil and filter change regularly
so I can tell you that my car's engine is up and running.
I have two issues that are worrying me:

1. The car's "Service Engine Soon" light turns on periodically and
before it happens I feel a strange variation in the car's engine. A
small variation in the idle thrust of the car and then the SES light
comes on. After a couple of days it goes off and then back on. This
happens when the car is in Idle ie. I am parked somewhere with the
engine running for a while. I doesn't happen while driving. I checked
spark plugs, etc and everything looks good on the engine side. Very
strange issue. It doesn't affect me that much but it's an annoying
issue and I'm worried that it will escalate to something worse. I've
changed the spark plugs recently, wires like 2 years ago so I don't
know what else could be wrong. It seems more of an electrical problem
than an engine problem.

2. After a little while of driving my car around, there is a noise that
I start hearing from the front part of my car. It's a vibration noticed
when I accelerate the car or I am stepping over a bump on the road. It
doesn't happen when the car is stopped, only in motion. I checked the
lower end of the engine (where the muffler starts) for loose parts but
that doesn't seem to be. I wonder what else should I check. My mechanic
checked the transmition mount but he said they look fine to him.
It's really hard to replicate the problem while I am not moving the car
since it doesn't happen. I need to be driving it around so you can hear
the annoying noise.
Any suggestions on what can it be.

Regards and will appreciate any input you can submit.

Thanks much,
Teo