I Must be Getting Slow

Old August 16th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
[email protected]

Default I Must be Getting Slow

How are people doing 1:12's at the Canada track in the FIA 2005 rFactor
F1 mod? I've seen that online. I suppose there are probably people
doing 1:10's! Well, I'm stuck at around 1:18 at best. I had several
racecast world records in F3's, McLarens, etc., so I can drive OK.

Is this a setup deal? If it is, does anyone have a link to a fast
setup? It sure doesn't feel like I'm leaving six seconds on the table!

What are the real F1 lap times at that track?

Pat Dotson

Old August 16th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Emma Ward

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> How are people doing 1:12's at the Canada track in the FIA 2005 rFactor
> F1 mod? I've seen that online. I suppose there are probably people
> doing 1:10's! Well, I'm stuck at around 1:18 at best. I had several
> racecast world records in F3's, McLarens, etc., so I can drive OK.
>
> Is this a setup deal? If it is, does anyone have a link to a fast
> setup? It sure doesn't feel like I'm leaving six seconds on the table!
>
> What are the real F1 lap times at that track?
>
> Pat Dotson

For me I seem to lose the back end all the time,

Mainly under braking, and it's not down to brake bias !

Old August 16th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Chad Rogers

Pat,

There is plenty of cutting that takes place I am sure. It seems that there
is no out of bounds. Not to say that guys aren't fast, but the game issues
no warnings that I have seen.

Chad

Old August 16th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Chad Rogers

I agree that it's a great mod, I am not sure it's a viable online one
however. I am a sim veteran as you are and I find it damn hard to make good
laps over and over by myself let alone with other cars on the track. I
think for me this one will be reserved for the offline driving and being
amazed at how damn fast those cars really are.

Chad

ups.com...

Old August 16th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
IMac

On 16 Aug 2006 05:25:35 -0700, wrote:

>How are people doing 1:12's at the Canada track in the FIA 2005 rFactor
>F1 mod? I've seen that online. I suppose there are probably people
>doing 1:10's! Well, I'm stuck at around 1:18 at best. I had several
>racecast world records in F3's, McLarens, etc., so I can drive OK.
>
>Is this a setup deal? If it is, does anyone have a link to a fast
>setup? It sure doesn't feel like I'm leaving six seconds on the table!
>
>What are the real F1 lap times at that track?
>
>Pat Dotson

Well, that's a relief! If a veteran of Pat's experience and
reputation in the racesim world is noticing this too, then I don't
feel so bad!

Haven't spent too much time with the 2005 mod, but I'm definitely
confused with the laptimes I've noticed in the 1979 mod. I've been
running Monte Carlo in the Ferrari for the last week (and loving it!),
but my best lap is somewhere in the 1:33 range. Seen many folks on
RSC and online talking about times in the 1:24-1:25 range with a best
somewhere around 1:23. I've watched a replay of Greger Huttu's 1:23
lap and frankly, it doesn't look all that different to what I'm doing
with the same setup. Okay, perhaps he brakes a few metres later on
corner entry and gets on the throttle a few metres earlier on exit,
but I would think that that would only account for 3-4 seconds (at
most) over a single lap. While I'll never be mistaken for an alien, I
honestly didn't think I sucked enough to be 10 seconds a lap slower at
Monaco! As for Kyalami, my best laps are only about 3 seconds slower
than the real fast guys.

Montreal could be a question of corner-cutting, but given the nature
of the track I don't think it would be an issue at Monaco.

What about aids? Could the super fast lap times be down to the aids
being used? Personally, in the 1979 mod, I don't use any aids while
in the 2005 I'm using traction control only.

IMac
Old August 17th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Garrot[_2_]

Uwe Schürkamp wrote:

> Have you checked which driving aids are allowed on the servers? It's
> sure easier to drive with traction control ;-)
>
> cheers, uwe

That would be more realistic too as F1 cars have traction control.
Old August 17th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David G Fisher

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> How are people doing 1:12's at the Canada track in the FIA 2005 rFactor
> F1 mod? I've seen that online. I suppose there are probably people
> doing 1:10's! Well, I'm stuck at around 1:18 at best. I had several
> racecast world records in F3's, McLarens, etc., so I can drive OK.
>
> Is this a setup deal? If it is, does anyone have a link to a fast
> setup? It sure doesn't feel like I'm leaving six seconds on the table!
>
> What are the real F1 lap times at that track?
>
> Pat Dotson

I read this thread yesterday and decided to give Montreal a run. I beat the
WR time with a 111.4 so I guess I should comment on this topic. It's not
listed at Racecast yet because my Racecast account is on the fritz the past
couple of days and my times are all screwed up. Adam is working on it.

I use medium TC. No aids. This week I also posted the Racecast WR time at
Nuerburg and the second best time at Northamptonshire. The only place at
Montreal where someone can cut to gain time is the last chicane before the
front stretch. The game willl give you a warning and not count the lap if
you cut too much though. When approaching the WR time, I had to assume that
others had pushed the in game penalty system to it's limit, so that's what I
did. Mid 112's were no problem though even when I ran a perfect line
throughout the track, including the chicane. I'd like to see ISI make an
adjustment there in their next update, but then any cars that get offline
due to traffic or an honest mistake will likely be hit with an unfair track
cutting penalty. In real F1, quite a few drivers have trouble there in the
race each year, which is probably why ISI has the penalty system set the way
it is. Maybe some speed bumps that wouldn't cause damage to your car when
taken at low speeds would be an option. Similiar to those in the grass at
the last chicane at Toban.
--
David G Fisher

Old August 18th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
[email protected]

How about a replay and a setup? Have you tweaked the setup
extensively?

I just don't see a 1:11 happening for me without some major change. I
mean, unless there is some blatant track cutting going on. I've
already tried putting two wheels in the grass through the S-turns with
no major gains. I did get down to a 1:16.5, but that was on a clean
lap, and that's still 5 seconds off the pace!

OK, how about answering this... In what gear are you taking the
S-turns? I'm dropping to 1st for what is probably about turn 5 or 6,
and for the last hairpin before the long straight. I'm in second
through all the other S-type turns. I could probably blow through them
in third but not while hitting a realistic apex. From what I saw
online, there didn't seem to be a lot of track cutting going on.

Most of my gains were found tweaking the differential. I found that
with traction control enabled the car is more comfortable with full
power lockup and no coast lockup.

Pat

Old August 19th 06, 08:18 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
[email protected]

OK, I'm not so slow after all. Read on RSC where you can turn
incremental boost up and down. It's at 5/10 by default. I bumped it
up to 10 and ran a 1:14 on my second lap.

So turn up your boost!

Secondly, my throttle pot is hosed, so I'm running at about 80%
throttle most of the time. Gonna have to get it fixed.

David G Fisher, please post a replay of that 1:11 lap somewhere so we
can see your awesome driving technique!

Pat Dotson

wrote:
> [...]

> > front stretch. The game willl give you a warning and not count the lap if
> > you cut too much though. When approaching the WR time, I had to assume that
> > others had pushed the in game penalty system to it's limit, so that's what I
> > did. Mid 112's were no problem though even when I ran a perfect line
> > throughout the track, including the chicane. I'd like to see ISI make an
> > adjustment there in their next update, but then any cars that get offline
> > due to traffic or an honest mistake will likely be hit with an unfair track
> > cutting penalty. In real F1, quite a few drivers have trouble there in the
> > race each year, which is probably why ISI has the penalty system set the way
> > it is. Maybe some speed bumps that wouldn't cause damage to your car when
> > taken at low speeds would be an option. Similiar to those in the grass at

A/C: freon additives and the slow leak les Technology 3 April 20th 06 06:08 PM
'05 slow throttle Richard Minami Ford Explorer 1 September 30th 05 04:54 AM
Noise at slow turns Ct Midnite BMW 2 June 1st 05 04:02 AM
Question for People Who Slow Down and "Let Them In" Usual Suspect Driving 43 February 24th 05 11:27 PM
Slow wiper 2.0L 01 Jetta auto [email protected] VW water cooled 6 February 6th 05 09:11 PM