'96 Ford Probe won't smog due to lack of engine codes...

Old January 2nd 05, 12:59 AM

Default '96 Ford Probe won't smog due to lack of engine codes...

hi folks,

i have a 1996 2.0 liter 4 cylinder Ford Probe that will not pass
California smog because the computer is not storing any codes. it
passes the actual emissions tests with flying colors, the problem is
that the smog tech needs to see that the computer has gone through a
complete "drive cycle", otherwise it automatically fails the overall
test. about a month ago i had the air density sensor replaced and at
that point the computer was reset. the mechanic told me i needed to
drive for about 100 miles, at various speeds (around town and freeway)
and that should acccomplish the "drive cycle" and allow me to smog it.
well over a month later and about 700 miles it still won't smog due to
a lack of engine codes. the smog tech said it didn't have one single
code on the computer.

i have taken it to the Ford dealer repair shop (yeah i am going to get
gouged), and they seem to be stumped as well.

anybody ever heard of something like this or offer any advice? i really
like the car, and it runs superb, but that isn't helping with the smog
and registration.

should i take it to a Mazda shop instead (the engine and chassis are
actually Mazda)? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old January 2nd 05, 05:00 AM

On 1 Jan 2005 15:59:53 -0800, wrote:

>hi folks,
>
>i have a 1996 2.0 liter 4 cylinder Ford Probe that will not pass
>California smog because the computer is not storing any codes. it
>passes the actual emissions tests with flying colors, the problem is
>that the smog tech needs to see that the computer has gone through a
>complete "drive cycle", otherwise it automatically fails the overall
>test. about a month ago i had the air density sensor replaced and at
>that point the computer was reset. the mechanic told me i needed to
>drive for about 100 miles, at various speeds (around town and freeway)
>and that should acccomplish the "drive cycle" and allow me to smog it.
>well over a month later and about 700 miles it still won't smog due to
>a lack of engine codes. the smog tech said it didn't have one single
>code on the computer.
>
>i have taken it to the Ford dealer repair shop (yeah i am going to get
>gouged), and they seem to be stumped as well.

I think if you have less 70k miles the emission control system is
under warrenty per federal law. Plus, considering it's the People's
Republic of California it must be the big bad company's fault, so it
might have a longer enforced warrenty period.

Check with a consumer protection agency.

>anybody ever heard of something like this or offer any advice? i really
>like the car, and it runs superb, but that isn't helping with the smog
>and registration.
>
>should i take it to a Mazda shop instead (the engine and chassis are
>actually Mazda)? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

hth,

tom @
www.CarFleaMarket.com

Old January 7th 05, 03:09 AM

thanks for the suggestion. 1 week and $260 later my car passed the smog
inspection. the folks at the dealer had to call the Ford engineer's to
get it figured out. they never really gave me a straight answer about
what the problem was...something about an "obscure computer reset
failure". hmmmm....

Old January 7th 05, 06:21 PM
Daniel J. Stern

wrote:

> >thanks for the suggestion. 1 week and $260 later my car passed the smog

> $260 is pretty cheap compared to some of the horror stories I heard
> from failed car owners. In NJ, it seemed like the state was making
> money from failing cars.

When I was interning as an investigative reporter for the NBC-TV news
affiliate in Denver, we ran a story about a lady who was the original
owner of her 1981 Cadillac. It passed the tailpipe test with lots of room
to spare, but was denied an emission sticker because the "Check Engine"
light didn't come on when the ignition was first turned to "on". That was
because the car had no such light, and never had. She produced ample
documentation from the factory service manual clearly demonstrating there
was no such light on the car, and even a letter from GM's regulatory
compliance department stating the same. But Envirotest's infallible
database claimed the car had such a light, so the state wouldn't budge. In
the end, she wound up having to spend several hundred dollars to have a
Cadillac dealership disassemble the dashboard and physically prove the
nonexistence of any "check engine" light or space for such a light, under
the supervision of a Colorado state agent. All in order to get a smog
sticker for the low-original-miles, one-owner car that passed the tailpipe
test with room to spare.

DS
Old January 7th 05, 08:49 PM
Roger Maxwell

I can't believe we don't have emissions testing in my county yet. When I get
behind a gross polluter, I wish we had it. There are lots of people around
here that will inspect a vehicle without INSPECTING it.

Roger

n.umich.edu...

Old January 7th 05, 09:50 PM

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 12:21:39 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"

wrote:

>> >thanks for the suggestion. 1 week and $260 later my car passed the smog

>> $260 is pretty cheap compared to some of the horror stories I heard
>> from failed car owners. In NJ, it seemed like the state was making
>> money from failing cars.

>When I was interning as an investigative reporter for the NBC-TV news
>affiliate in Denver, we ran a story about a lady who was the original
>owner of her 1981 Cadillac. It passed the tailpipe test with lots of room
>to spare, but was denied an emission sticker because the "Check Engine"
>light didn't come on when the ignition was first turned to "on". That was
>because the car had no such light, and never had. She produced ample
>documentation from the factory service manual clearly demonstrating there
>was no such light on the car, and even a letter from GM's regulatory
>compliance department stating the same. But Envirotest's infallible
>database claimed the car had such a light, so the state wouldn't budge. In
>the end, she wound up having to spend several hundred dollars to have a
>Cadillac dealership disassemble the dashboard and physically prove the
>nonexistence of any "check engine" light or space for such a light, under
>the supervision of a Colorado state agent. All in order to get a smog
>sticker for the low-original-miles, one-owner car that passed the tailpipe
>test with room to spare.
>
>DS

State running laws like this is a conflict of interest. Cars of some
of the biggest purchase a person makes, so they are some of the
biggest revenue generators for sales tax. Therefore, if you force
people to get rid of older cars faster, you have to buy more newer
ones faster.

Hmmmmmm...... sounds like a problem. Now if a slick set of lawyers
were interested in getting some money, this could be a nice lawsuit.

Just thinking.......

later,

tom @
www.MedicalJobList.com

Old January 29th 05, 11:32 PM
TheSmogTech

Hello putt,

It is possible your vehicle has an earlier model of the OBD II Engine
Control System. These computer systems were not designed to work with
the new California State mandated smog machine systems. There are
simply two solutions to this problem. First you may see the vehicle's
dealer/manufacturer and explain your problem. They may be able to
re-program your engine computer to function with the new smog
equipment. Your second option is to have your vehicle inspected by the
State Referee's Office. They may bypass the smog equipments OBDII
connection system and PASS your vehicle. You may reach the Referee's
Office at (800)622-7733.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If there is anything I can
help with in the future, don't hesitate to e-mail.

For more information you may want to locate a reputable smog service
center in your area by simply typing in your zip code in the Smog Shop
Locator search section at www.smogtips.com

Sincerely,
Alec - SmogTips Support www.smogtips.com

Humor of the Week - Presented by Harry from Glendale,CA

A husband and wife find an ostrich and decide to keep her. Their
walking her down the street one day when a neighbor notices them and
stops to ask what their doing. The husband explain to the neighbor that
they found this ostrich and they are taking it on a walk. The neighbor
tells them that they should take the ostrich to the zoo. The husband
and wife think about it and continue to walk down the street. One week
later this same neighbor runs into this husband and wife at the movie
theaters, again with the ostrich. Surprised,he runs up to them to ask
them what in the world they're thinking and why they haven't taken the
ostrich to the zoo yet. The husband answers "we took her to the zoo
yesterday. Today we thought we'd take her to the movies."

Old February 1st 05, 10:35 PM

A Ford Probe that still runs? Man call up guiness. Those things are
frikin money pits. Had a 92 that went through 5 sets of front axles.
The back rear quarter window broke, $1400.
Sell it, Burn it, Kill it....