Big Miata Problem- Update

Old September 7th 04, 02:45 AM
Clark Smith

Default Big Miata Problem- Update

Last I wrote my 2000 Miata was broken down (stopped running and would not
start) and towed to a dealer in Shreveport, LA. After changing out the fuel
pump relay and computer to no avail, they diagnosed the problem as damage to
the fusebox and wiring somehow caused by the after market alarm. They wanted
to replace the wiring harness which would not be covered by my extended
warranty, at a cost of approx. $3,000.

I picked the car up and trailered it to the dealer in Houston where the car
was purchased. They quickly found the problem- the bolts holding the A/C
compressor to the bracket had worked loose and fallen out. When the A/C was
turned on, the compressor came forward and broke off the crankshaft
positioning sensor. Replaced same and car now ok. They did have to replace
the computer, but only because the other dealer had shorted it out in their
troubleshooting attempt. The dealer found no damage to the wiring and
nothing wrong with the alarm. They fixed everything under warranty, cost $
zero. Go figure!

Clark Smith

Old September 7th 04, 03:34 AM
Dana Myers

Clark Smith wrote:

> Last I wrote my 2000 Miata was broken down (stopped running and would not
> start) and towed to a dealer in Shreveport, LA. After changing out the fuel
> pump relay and computer to no avail, they diagnosed the problem as damage to
> the fusebox and wiring somehow caused by the after market alarm. They wanted
> to replace the wiring harness which would not be covered by my extended
> warranty, at a cost of approx. $3,000.

This was at an authorized Mazda dealer?

> I picked the car up and trailered it to the dealer in Houston where the car
> was purchased. They quickly found the problem- the bolts holding the A/C
> compressor to the bracket had worked loose and fallen out. When the A/C was
> turned on, the compressor came forward and broke off the crankshaft
> positioning sensor. Replaced same and car now ok. They did have to replace
> the computer, but only because the other dealer had shorted it out in their
> troubleshooting attempt. The dealer found no damage to the wiring and
> nothing wrong with the alarm. They fixed everything under warranty, cost $
> zero. Go figure!

Wow. One dealer did the right job, and the other dealer is
stunningly incompetent. Then they wonder why I don't want to
take my car in for a $35 oil change.

I had a similar experience with a 2-week Geo Prism once.
Stunning incompetence at an authorized dealer.

Dana
Old September 7th 04, 05:10 AM
Chief_Wiggum

Did the imbecile's in La charge you anything ? If so, I hope you offered to
sue them unless they provide a full refund..

Glad to hear your car is running again though. It's always tough to know if
dealers like them are crooks, or just incompetent. Either way, the whole
thing should be reported to Mazda corp. The only way there is a chance of
wiping out dealers like this is if they know about them.

Old September 7th 04, 06:43 AM
Gus

"Chief_Wiggum" > wrote in message

> Either way, the whole thing should be reported to Mazda corp. The only
> way there > is a chance of wiping out dealers like this is if they know
> about them.

I'm not sure I can say I agree stongly enough. Write a letter to Mazda
Customer Service with copies to both dealers.

Gus (91 BRG)

Old September 7th 04, 03:31 PM
L. Santer

"Clark Smith" > wrote

> I picked the car up and trailered it to the dealer in Houston where the car
> was purchased. ... They They fixed everything under warranty, cost $
> zero. Go figure!

Memorable scene from National Lampoon's Vacation. Clark Griswold asks
the mechanic how much is the repair bill ..."How much you got?" is
the answer. Yep, you don't want to break down on the road.
Old September 7th 04, 06:14 PM
Chris D'Agnolo

Clark,

What Houston dealer was this, we should give them big POSITIVE attention for
this, as much as the LA place should get NEGITIVE!

Chris
92BB&T

om...

Old September 16th 04, 02:11 PM
Thomas Misek

Clark,

I, too, would like to know the name of the Houston dealer that you went to.

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message
> Clark,
>
> What Houston dealer was this, we should give them big POSITIVE attention

for
> this, as much as the LA place should get NEGITIVE!
>
> Chris
> 92BB&T
>
> "L. Santer" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "Clark Smith" > wrote
> >
> > > I picked the car up and trailered it to the dealer in Houston where

the
> car
> > > was purchased. ... They They fixed everything under warranty, cost $
> > > zero. Go figure!

> > Memorable scene from National Lampoon's Vacation. Clark Griswold asks
> > the mechanic how much is the repair bill ..."How much you got?" is
> > the answer. Yep, you don't want to break down on the road.

rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 10 December 2nd 04 06:19 AM
87 TBI Suburban bog / acceleration problem Michael Vosk 4x4 8 September 29th 04 04:55 AM
PCM problem update Lee3333 Saturn 0 September 11th 04 06:13 AM
Ion intermittent ignition switch problem ELY Saturn 3 August 14th 04 03:18 AM