Dang Fords

Old June 6th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default Dang Fords

Just replaced pow'r steering gear box, pump is now shot. Have a new
leak, heavy, below the tran fluid check stick. Looks to be tranny
fluid but pretty dark. Can anyone tell me my next nightmare?

Old June 7th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Well, it's not like the car was 15 years old or anything, right? Nothing is
forever......

I would hazard a guess that the old steering box mortally wounded the pump -
no surprise there if we delay needed repairs. For your transmission leak,
might I guess that the service history of the trans is a little sketchy - or
maybe non-existant? Dark fluid is a sign that it might be past due time to
remove the pan and offer careful inspection... it may already be too late.

My 92 had nearly 200,000 km on it when we waved goodbye. We sold it to
friends of my loving brides and they have had at least two years of
troublefree use..

I'm not one to put up with a truck that has problems... I maintain my units
religiously. To neglect a small problem is to allow it to turn into a big
one....

oups.com...

Old June 8th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Paul Dill > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Just replaced pow'r steering gear box, pump is now shot. Have a new
> leak, heavy, below the tran fluid check stick. Looks to be tranny
> fluid but pretty dark. Can anyone tell me my next nightmare?

Doesn't sound good. Unfortunately I don't think it would be very easy for
power steering fluid to be leaking over there.

Old June 9th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Paul Dill wrote:
> Just replaced pow'r steering gear box, pump is now shot. Have a new
> leak, heavy, below the tran fluid check stick. Looks to be tranny
> fluid but pretty dark. Can anyone tell me my next nightmare?

Yeah, 15 going on ancient. It maybe time to move on. The cost of
maintaining is far outweighing the cost of payment. The transmission
is slipping (a lot) and she having big trouble engaging into drive
after backing up. "The old nag just ain't got it in her no more". As
far as maintenance though I have had to keep up real strict regiments,
however it's becoming a fight I care not too win.
front U joint seized up this past day as well. She was a good truck
(sobbing in the background). Never mind the rust and the holes the
rust gave her all around the rear end. I really want to take her out
to my bud's farm and run her around his quad track just to make her
feel like a truck before I put her down. Maybe even take her off the
table top!!! That'll make her proud!