1995 Saturn - noisy valves ????

Old December 24th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Brian[_14_]

Default 1995 Saturn - noisy valves ????

I just bought a 95 Saturn SL1 - 1.9 SOHC. The valves sound noisy to me, almost like mechanical
lifters out of adjustment. Is this noisy valve train common to these 4 bangers ???? It's got plenty
of frest oil and a filter. The car has 145,000 miles....

Thanks
Brian

Brian..........

Kill filters - The Enema Of The Usenet !!!!!

Old December 27th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Lane

> Is this noisy valve train common to these 4 bangers ????

No.

If oil changes have been neglected or the oil level not kept up, what you
are hearing may be a worn timing chain. A noisy timing chain can signal
impending doom. You may want to have a Saturn mechanic listen to your motor
to diagnose it.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

Old January 1st 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

I agree. This is a timing chain. If the chain goes out then your
engine is toast. It is an interference engine. If the chain breaks
than the valves stop and the crank keeps turning.... bending the valves
and damaging the pistons. Not a difficult, but time consuming repair if
you are mechanically inclined and take your time. The hardest part is
getting the harmonic balancer off since it is torqued at 185LB. If you
don't want to do the job yourself it is about 750$ at Saturn and a
LITTLE less at an independent.
If you decide to do it yourself then check out another web sight,
www.saturnfans.com, They are loaded with advise and very knowledgeable
people. I had never replaced an engine before but after studying that
websight I bought another Saturn for my son and we put a JY engine in
with no problem and are going to tear the other one down to see what is
wrong with it.
Good Luck,
Rob