it's springtime and fancy turns to......

Old April 5th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default it's springtime and fancy turns to......

wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> It looks very good!

Thank you

> Gothic-look?

Gangsta-Gothic-Rat look

> How many HP?

Hmm.. haven't dynoed it and the carbs are not tuned properly yet, but it
should make something between 150-180hp

>Size and carbs?

79*90.5 = something like 2033cc (welded crank)
Dual Dellorto 45
Custom made Cam, 310degrees duration, 10,8mm lift
1.25 rockers, bringing valve lift to 13.5mm
CR 10.3:1
EMPI heads, 40x35.5mm valves, professional porting and valve job, flowed
165hp at 12mm lift in a flowbench

> You have all that snow right now?

Yes, but it's melting fast. Lots of rain, but sometiomes it snows still.

> How many windows on the bus?

Umm.. 13?

Jan
Old April 6th 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Gary Tateosian" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks for the reminder. I actually find myself going one further
> lately. I leave the jack in place as well as the stands....just one
> more safety. Everyone work safe. Be safe. I am on my way to NY this
> week to bury my cousin who was in a boating accident this weekend in
> New Orleans. Remember, its not just yourself...there are many others
> that will be affected. It only takes one moment of inattention to take
> from this world something irreplaceable...

Sorry to hear this Gary....you know where everyone is, if you need
something...Prayers going out for you and your family.

Old April 6th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message
> Sneaks wrote:
> > ....workin' on the car in the driveway (for those of us without garages)

and
> > so this means it is the time for the annual Sneak's sermon. I have 2

words
> > for everyone:
> >
> > JACK STANDS
> >
> > Not blocks of wood. Not cinderblocks. Good, sturdy 4-point jack stands.
> > NEVER EVER just a jack. Please. To some this might be common sense or
> > standard practice, but just in case it isn't...yada yada yada.
> >
> > Ok. With that out of the way, hi everyone, I'm back I think. I hope.

Snow is
> > gone, work still taking all my time but hopefully the '68 will get some

love
> > this spring. I actually got it on the road for 20 days in the fall, but
> > still have tons to do. Hope all is well with everyone....
> >
> > Sneaks
> > '68 T1

> Hi Sneaks, and welcome back
>
> Things are rolling fast here for a change, busy at work, then come home,
> change clothes and head to the garage, to return home around midnight...
> then go to bed and wake up at 7, and repeat. Every day of the week.
> Except weekends, they are 100% garage time.
>
> Got my convertible "done" (if they ever are) and I'm now working on the
> bus I sold about a year ago.
>
> Got 16 work days left and about a month left of this crappy weather,
> then I'm all done with it.
>
> Jan

Thanks

What bus? The red one you dragged home a while back? I'm sooooo out of
touch! I painted the '68 last fall in the driveway, came out half-decent,
but I think I'm gonna reshoot it this summer now that I know more what I'm
doing. Still have the interior to do, minor brake work, and sort out the
motor some (dump the mechanical dizzy and get a VA). Have to hunt down some
parts and stuff (you know, the fun stuff). Whooohooo. Spent the winter
working the motorcycle in the bedroom and the bedroom itself. Anyway, I
guess I need to catch up on stuff, huh?

Oh, and if anyone has a complete fresh air box for a '68 T1 (I need it all,
vents, box, etc) for a reasonable price, I'm looking for one.

Sneaks
'68 T1

Old April 6th 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

wrote:
>>Gangsta-Gothic-Rat look
>>

> LOL I like it!

Most people seem to like the "ugliest bug in the country".

>>Hmm.. haven't dynoed it and the carbs are not tuned properly yet, but it
>>should make something between 150-180hp
>>

> The engine of my dreams!!! :-)

Mine too.. only next time I'll go even bigger and meaner, hehe.. in FL I
don't need to worry about stupid finnish laws...

> When you have a little time take a few pictures of the engine. I would
> love to se it!!! What a beast it must be!!!

It doesn't look like much. Nothing fancy. "Function before form", not
too many chromed dress-up items. No colors, just black and aluminum.
Well the alternator pulley is chromed and the lower pulley is shiny
aluminum. They were cheap and they do their job.

> Now I know why you want to take it with you.
> With that snow you shouldn't have cooling issues :-)

I can't get it past +84C in +5C weather. And that's teh record on a
longer, sustained highway drive at about 120kph. Usually it stays around
70C at normal highway speeds (100kph/60mph)
Cooling flaps are there, but there is no room for thermostat so they are
always fully open. The exhaust system comes in the way of the
thermostat, I haven't solved that little problem yet.

> With so many windows no need of an AC! LOL

Both cars have a BN4 gasoline heater....
We don't generally need AC.. we need heat

Jan
Old April 6th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

.... doesn't look like much. Nothing fancy. "Function before form",

I don't like cromed engines. I like them black with big carbs

Joćo

Old April 8th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Jan" > wrote in message

> Both cars have a BN4 gasoline heater....
> We don't generally need AC.. we need heat
>
> Jan

that will change in florida....<G>

Old April 8th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message

> "Jan" > wrote in message
>

> > Both cars have a BN4 gasoline heater....
> > We don't generally need AC.. we need heat
> >
> > Jan

> that will change in florida....<G>

LOL

.........It doesn't take long in 90+ degree heat and 90+ per cent humidity to
start wanting some snow!

Old April 8th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Tim Rogers wrote:
> "Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message
>
>>"Jan" > wrote in message
>>

>>>Both cars have a BN4 gasoline heater....
>>>We don't generally need AC.. we need heat
>>>
>>>Jan

>>that will change in florida....<G>
>>

> LOL
>
> ........It doesn't take long in 90+ degree heat and 90+ per cent humidity to
> start wanting some snow!

Snow will still be coming out of my ears for a good year or two after I
move. Sheesh.

I don't mind snow... on tv for example. If I want to go out in the snow,
I don't mind hopping on a plane and traveling to a place where there
is some. I just don't want to be stuck knee deep in the middle of it
with no alternative.

Jan
Old April 10th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message
> Tim Rogers wrote:
> > "Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message

> >>that will change in florida....<G>
> >>

> > LOL
> >
> > ........It doesn't take long in 90+ degree heat and 90+ per cent

humidity to
> > start wanting some snow!

> Snow will still be coming out of my ears for a good year or two after I
> move. Sheesh.
>
> I don't mind snow... on tv for example. If I want to go out in the snow,
> I don't mind hopping on a plane and traveling to a place where there
> is some. I just don't want to be stuck knee deep in the middle of it
> with no alternative.
>
> Jan

I thought we'd seen the end of it, but back to scraping the windows again
this morning..

James

Old April 11th 06, 09:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Sorry for ear that. I'm going to beach right now with my family and
dog. It is a nice weather right now :-)

Joćo