Jeep Accident - into mine shaft

Old May 11th 05, 08:03 AM
Rusted

Default Jeep Accident - into mine shaft

Here is a photo for you

http://home.comcast.net/~rmontierth/...ruckinhole.jpg

That is a photo I of a vertical mine shaft, at the bottom (approx 60 feet
but the photo does not look like it), is a willy's pickup. It is usually
difficult to see the jeep, but this guy was able to get a good photo of it.
A neighbor of mine actually was driving, went over a hill (tailing pile),
through a fence, and into the shaft. The jeep had a well build cage that
kind of rattled it's way to the bottom saving both of their lives. The
passenger was able to climb out of the shaft using the fence that was drug
down with them, and call for help. The driver was rescued approx 8 hours
later by search and rescue who had to extract him from the wreck. This
must have happened close to 15 years go, it is just a story that has
recently surfaced again because someone else notice the jeep in the mine.
Thought I would share.

Old May 11th 05, 09:07 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I think it happens often. I could only find one Jeep in this
Colorado mine shaft page:
http://mining.state.co.us/abanondonedmines/danger.html The last one I
remember was in California, where two people in a Jeep survive the fall,
but a week latter start a fire as a smoke signal, it did bring the
rescuers that found their suffocated bodies.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 11th 05, 10:17 PM
K Horner

Many years ago, I was stationed at an air base in the high desert. We would
occasionally help out on search and rescue. We responded to a missing dirt
bike rider. Seems the night before he had been drinking and took off on the
bike. Anyway, we found him later that day. He had ridden into a vertical
shaft. After we repelled down and lifted him out on a stokes, his buddies
waned us to winch out the bike. Guess its still there. Probably should try
to find it some day just to see.

.. .

Old May 11th 05, 11:57 PM

That would make a darn good entry in a 'worst stuck' photo contest.
TrailMarker

What is a TJ? Brian Foster Jeep 23 January 22nd 05 06:06 AM
Jeep VS others Elliot Westcott Chrysler 64 December 19th 04 02:22 PM
Chrysler to show Jeep pickup and "FirePower" sports car concepts inDetroit MoPar Man Chrysler 4 December 10th 04 07:45 PM