99 Cherokee Stalling

Old September 26th 04, 11:14 PM
Yukon

Default 99 Cherokee Stalling

I've had great luck with this jeep until this month. It is only used on the weekends, maybe 50-100 miles a week. First, it started
to sputter a bit when it was warmed up and put in reverse only, but always came out of it and ran well. Then last week, after
sitting in the garage all week as it usually does, I get in it and try to start it, but all it does is turn over and nothing else,
like it is not getting gas. After trying for half an hour, I have it towed to the dealer. Next day they call and say it started
right up. They hooked it up to computers, say everything is fine. They check everything and recommend plugs, fuel filter, and clean
injectors. Worked good last weekend, started right up this morning, go to the grocery store, come out, starts right up, put it in
reverse, it dies. Try to start it 5 more times, and it just sputters. Let it sit a few minutes. It fires right up, and has been fine
all day. Kinda hard to trust it. Any ideas?

Old September 27th 04, 01:41 AM
Lon

Yukon proclaimed:

> I've had great luck with this jeep until this month. It is only used on the weekends, maybe 50-100 miles a week. First, it started
> to sputter a bit when it was warmed up and put in reverse only, but always came out of it and ran well. Then last week, after
> sitting in the garage all week as it usually does, I get in it and try to start it, but all it does is turn over and nothing else,
> like it is not getting gas. After trying for half an hour, I have it towed to the dealer. Next day they call and say it started
> right up. They hooked it up to computers, say everything is fine. They check everything and recommend plugs, fuel filter, and clean
> injectors. Worked good last weekend, started right up this morning, go to the grocery store, come out, starts right up, put it in
> reverse, it dies. Try to start it 5 more times, and it just sputters. Let it sit a few minutes. It fires right up, and has been fine
> all day. Kinda hard to trust it. Any ideas?

If you can turn the key on, let it set for a few seconds and then it
starts, most likely would be the check valve for the fuel pump.
Would also think any mechanic familiar with the Jeep would pull and
clean or simply replace the crankshaft position sensor. And check the
fuel pump volume. And look for bad grounds.
Old September 27th 04, 10:41 PM
Yukon

"Lon" > wrote in message news:zkJ5d.57324$wV.46795@attbi_s54...
> Yukon proclaimed:
>
> > I've had great luck with this jeep until this month. It is only used on the weekends, maybe 50-100 miles a week. First, it

started
> > to sputter a bit when it was warmed up and put in reverse only, but always came out of it and ran well. Then last week, after
> > sitting in the garage all week as it usually does, I get in it and try to start it, but all it does is turn over and nothing

else,
> > like it is not getting gas. After trying for half an hour, I have it towed to the dealer. Next day they call and say it started
> > right up. They hooked it up to computers, say everything is fine. They check everything and recommend plugs, fuel filter, and

clean
> > injectors. Worked good last weekend, started right up this morning, go to the grocery store, come out, starts right up, put it

in
> > reverse, it dies. Try to start it 5 more times, and it just sputters. Let it sit a few minutes. It fires right up, and has been

fine
> > all day. Kinda hard to trust it. Any ideas?
> >

> If you can turn the key on, let it set for a few seconds and then it
> starts, most likely would be the check valve for the fuel pump.
> Would also think any mechanic familiar with the Jeep would pull and
> clean or simply replace the crankshaft position sensor. And check the
> fuel pump volume. And look for bad grounds.

Thanx Lon, I'll ask him to check what you said. I talked to him today, and he said try dry gas first, and see how it goes.

1994 Cherokee stalling themophead 4x4 5 July 16th 04 07:07 PM
4WD (Cherokee?) recommendations please coyotefred 4x4 6 June 20th 04 04:13 AM
jeep cherokee pioneer? James Morrow 4x4 4 February 13th 04 08:43 PM