valve cover gasket and oil leak

Old July 22nd 05, 01:07 AM

Default valve cover gasket and oil leak

honda accord 4 cyl. automatic.
I had my valve cover gasket replaced. On the same day, I noticed that
I had a small oil puddle on the driver side. It was never there
before.

Can an improper valve cover gasket installation lead to an oil leak?
Before the
valve cover gasket replacement, I haven't seen any puddle of oil
underneath the
drip pan before.

Old July 22nd 05, 04:13 AM
sdlomi2

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> honda accord 4 cyl. automatic.
> I had my valve cover gasket replaced. On the same day, I noticed that
> I had a small oil puddle on the driver side. It was never there
> before.
>
> Can an improper valve cover gasket installation lead to an oil leak?
> Before the
> valve cover gasket replacement, I haven't seen any puddle of oil
> underneath the
> drip pan before.

You asked > Can an improper valve cover gasket installation lead to an
oil leak?<. Yes, it surely can. Why was it replaced to begin with? Just
curious. s

Old July 22nd 05, 04:43 AM

sdlomi2 wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > honda accord 4 cyl. automatic.
> > I had my valve cover gasket replaced. On the same day, I noticed that
> > I had a small oil puddle on the driver side. It was never there
> > before.
> >
> > Can an improper valve cover gasket installation lead to an oil leak?
> > Before the
> > valve cover gasket replacement, I haven't seen any puddle of oil
> > underneath the
> > drip pan before.
> >

>Why was it replaced to begin with?

Hello,

There was noticeable oil all around the valve cover gasket, but it
wasn't bad enough to drip on the floor to leave a puddle. It was
strange, that after it was replaced, that I would have a bigger
problem. Maybe I shouldn't have used
a aftermarket gasket.

Thanks for the answer. I'm gonna go buy a Genuine Honda gasket and
hopefully
that will solve the puddle problem.

Old July 22nd 05, 08:55 PM
ed

permatex....

Old July 22nd 05, 11:40 PM

Comboverfish wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > There was noticeable oil all around the valve cover gasket, but it
> > wasn't bad enough to drip on the floor to leave a puddle. It was
> > strange, that after it was replaced, that I would have a bigger
> > problem. Maybe I shouldn't have used
> > a aftermarket gasket.
> >
> > Thanks for the answer. I'm gonna go buy a Genuine Honda gasket and
> > hopefully
> > that will solve the puddle problem.

> The aftermarket gaskets I have seen for most Honda valve covers seem to
> be the same quality, maybe even the same part as OE. I think you
> pinched the rubber off somewhere, most likely on either end near the
> semicircle shaped cam cap areas. Luckily, there are built in rubber
> tabs that make verifying proper installation fairly easy. Look around
> the base of the cover for flat rubber tabs coming out of the gasket.
> If any of them are twisted or folded inward, then you need a new
> gasket. Make sure the rubber is pressed firmly into the groove all the
> way around and use sealer at the bases of each cam cap upon
> installation. You can place the cover on the ground and stand on it to
> seat the gasket better.

1) there's a plastic tab coming out of the cover. Must be the gasket.
2) I didn't see the mechanic apply silicone sealant to the cam bases.

Oil is splashed everywhere on the engine compartment. When I lift the
hood,
there's oil splashed on the hood.

I think a visit to the mechanic is in order.