pinging maxpower

Old June 29th 05, 04:05 AM
rob

Default pinging maxpower

hey Glen, 2003 Grand caravan. friend has one with front brakes bad.....wife
driven so who knows....lol anyway 44,000 mi, fried pads, rotor, broke the
piston in the left front caliper. he was told the piston doesn't come
separate.....so he changed out the entire caliper. pedal goes to floor
obviously until bled but he bled it 12 ways to Sunday, still went to the
floor and has no more time to work on it, so took it to the dealer.

Now they attempted to bleed the entire system, and got the same results.
They attempted to order a master cyl. but got a red flag asking for call to
tech. After they called and stated what was going on, the guy at tech
said.......let me guess, the left front caliper was replaced, wasn't it?
after telling him yes, he proceeded to tell the dealership person that
there's an issue with the 2003's. if you get air in the system, it destroys
the hydraulic assist unit and it must be replaced. So they ordered it, and
told my friend they would have it done tomorrow. He called me tonight and
asked if I had heard of a hydraulic assist module. I hadn't, but not
turning wrench full time anymore, so there's lots of new stuff out there I'm
unfamiliar with. he states 900.00 including labor to replace it and turn
the rotors.

any ideas what this unit is they are replacing for him ?

Old June 29th 05, 09:59 PM
maxpower

"rob" > wrote in message
> hey Glen, 2003 Grand caravan. friend has one with front brakes

bad.....wife
> driven so who knows....lol anyway 44,000 mi, fried pads, rotor, broke

the
> piston in the left front caliper. he was told the piston doesn't come
> separate.....so he changed out the entire caliper. pedal goes to floor
> obviously until bled but he bled it 12 ways to Sunday, still went to the
> floor and has no more time to work on it, so took it to the dealer.
>
> Now they attempted to bleed the entire system, and got the same results.
> They attempted to order a master cyl. but got a red flag asking for call

> tech. After they called and stated what was going on, the guy at tech
> said.......let me guess, the left front caliper was replaced, wasn't it?
> after telling him yes, he proceeded to tell the dealership person that
> there's an issue with the 2003's. if you get air in the system, it

destroys
> the hydraulic assist unit and it must be replaced. So they ordered it, and
> told my friend they would have it done tomorrow. He called me tonight and
> asked if I had heard of a hydraulic assist module. I hadn't, but not
> turning wrench full time anymore, so there's lots of new stuff out there

I'm
> unfamiliar with. he states 900.00 including labor to replace it and turn
> the rotors.
>
> any ideas what this unit is they are replacing for him ?

There was an issue on the hydraulic assembly that would cause air to get
into the left caliper all the time and replacement of the hydraulic assembly
was the fix. But you say a brake job was done and the calipers were
replaced, there would be no need to replace the hydraulic assembly for that
reason.....it was not letting air get into the caliper......the person that
installed them got air in it, there fore why would the hydraulic assembly
need replacing????
The system needs to be bled with the scan tool that is the only way I have
had any luck with removing air from that system. someone better call the
Chrysler star center back up and talk to a different tech and tell them that
the air was not in the system until the caliper was replaced, and I bet you
get a different answer......and that would be to not replace the hydraulic
unit.

good luck

Old June 30th 05, 05:30 AM
rob

his words were "the bled it electronically" so that led me to believe they
used the scan tool. Still I'll let him know. he said they were to replace
it today, and now his wife is IMing me and stating they replaced it, and
turned the rotors, and now feel the master cyl is out ( still doing the same
thing) which is what he felt was the issue all along......

Thanks glen, I passed it along. thank god the guy knows alot about
cars.......he's already all over them on this one!

Old June 30th 05, 05:49 AM
rob

heres what he tells me now........"Well, after replacing the hydraulic
boost, they got pressure back in the system. Then the brake light came on
and stayed on. So another call to tech and they were informed that the
switch in the master cylinder tripped, and there is no way to reset it other
than replace the master cylinder. The service rep said he is going to try to
get the mastercylinder done for me as a freebie, since I'm already taking it
up the shorts for 900.00."

good lord I'm glad I don't live there!

Old June 30th 05, 11:48 AM
damnnickname

Well if there was no air in the system before it was worked on and now
there is, I would say it didnt need those parts, However, depending on the
milage of the vehicle, the technician that was bleeding the brakes after
the repair may have had the seal inside the master cylinder rip, which
would cause the pedal to go to the floor and the brake lite out. Me
personnaly, it didnt need the hydraulic assembly

Old June 30th 05, 11:51 AM
damnnickname

Rob, send me an e mail address and I will give you the procedures to bleed
the hydraulic assembly

Old June 30th 05, 03:32 PM
rob

nspctrguy at gmail dot com

lkaboutautos.com...

Old June 30th 05, 03:34 PM
rob

yeah their more he and I discussed it the more it sounded like master cyl.
he had the right idea from the get -go it sounds like.