Best year for a used wrangler

Old June 17th 05, 04:37 PM
lovs2fly

Default Best year for a used wrangler

Any advice on what year to look for in a used wrangler?

Thanks,
Dennis

Old June 17th 05, 04:52 PM
Pi-Eyed Piper

1989...then you'll get loads of experience changing almost every part on the
Heep within the first year.

Old June 17th 05, 05:01 PM
Jerry Bransford

At least a '91 or newer that starts the more reliable fuel injected 4.0L
engine. I would avoid any late eighties Wranglers since they have the
crappy troubleprone Peugeot transmission. If you want the better
riding Wrangler with the improved suspension, '97 or newer is a good
choice. My '97 has proven to be a great Jeep.

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old June 17th 05, 05:26 PM
Pi-Eyed Piper

my 89 has the ax15..

Old June 17th 05, 05:41 PM
Jerry Bransford

Early '89 Wranglers have the notorious Peugeot BA10, late model '89
Wranglers got the better AX-5 or AX-15 trannie.

Jerry

Old June 17th 05, 05:50 PM
Pi-Eyed Piper

I lucked out, I know. Overall, I've been pretty happy with my "carbed' 4.2L.
It's running decent.

Old June 18th 05, 12:11 AM
Norman

Old June 18th 05, 12:12 AM
Norman

"lovs2fly" > wrote in message
> Any advice on what year to look for in a used wrangler?
>
> Thanks,
> Dennis

Why is your search limited to a Wrangler?

Just Curious,
Norman
1982 CJ-7

Old June 18th 05, 07:07 AM
Robb S via CarKB.com

how much $$$$ would you like to spend? or does that matter? I have an old
JP magazine, that gives a breakdown of the different years and the good and
the bad. I'll dig it up, and post here tomorrow with the info. quite a few
people feel the 87-89 4.2L is Better than the 4.0L engine. I believe its the
same 4.2 used in the CJ's and has better low end torque. The 4.0 was started
in 90. In 89, the 4.2L was offered with a CARB and Fuel Injection. Sooooo,
if that was what you were interested in, I would suggest an 89 and up fuel
injected Jeep. The Carb is a piece of crap, and doing away with it is a pain
in the ass. Not to mention dealing with all the emission crap.
I'll write more tomorrow..
Ciao'