1994 Ford Explorer 4x4 Acceleration Hesitates from a stop

Old August 7th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
jsanders

Default 1994 Ford Explorer 4x4 Acceleration Hesitates from a stop

Here is the problem with a 94 ford explorer. Whenever the truck is
stopped, whether starting out from a driveway or an intersection, it
hesitates / cuts out for a second when you put your foot on the gas. It
doesn't seem to do this if you put your foot on the gas slowly and
gradually, but lets say if you put it on a bit more, it waits / cuts
out for a second then it goes. It doesn't do this when the truck is
moving.

I'm going to be changing all the fluids, and putting in new air and oil
filters tomorrow. Could this be a spark plug problem? Previous owner
said he changed the spark plugs, what if he didn't gap them properly?

Old August 7th 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
JohanB

Don't forget the fuel filter and check/clean the maf sensor

ups.com...

Old August 7th 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
jsanders

i'll see if i can get a voltmeter to check the MAF sensor tomorrow. I
thought the fuel filter was designed to last the life of the vehicle,
according to the service manual, and if it did need to be changed, that
the quick release clamps need to be changed too?

if so I can't really do it because this tune up has to be done quick
because its a friends explorer that i get for a couple of hours
tomorrow and it has to go on a semi-long trip for about a week. so i'll
deal with the MAF and the fuel filter when it gets back. Otherwise it
runs fine except the hesitation from a stopped position.

Old August 7th 06, 05:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
JohanB

I change them @ 30k because I'll buy gas wherever my tank is empty and
those are not always the high volume gas stations

I think 50K-60K is about the max for a fuel filter

I'm sure some people have a other view on this

ps.com...

Old August 7th 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
jsanders

unfortunately I don't have a torx security bit to get the MAF off, but
maybe when it gets back i'll modify one (have tons of torx). so with
the MAF, just spray some carb cleaner let it dry, might be the problem
with the hesitation (reading some other topics here). i've never taken
out a MAF before, is it fragile or dangerous?

Old August 7th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
JohanB

Yes , very fragile, no poking around with a sharp object, they sell special
MAF cleaner in a spray can

Is the air cleaner very dirty ???
That might be a clue, if they leak the maf gets dirty

ps.com...

Old August 7th 06, 06:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
jsanders

says in my chilton manual that i can disconnect the air cleaner to
throttle body air tube and the air cleaner housing to remove the MAF,
so then I just spray maf cleaner on the filament or all over or where?
i'll only do this if the tune up doesn't help the problem.

Old August 7th 06, 06:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
jsanders

and do i disconnect the negative terminal of the battery when i do this
also?

Old August 7th 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
JohanB

Yeah, IIRC just remove the rubber tube from the plastic airfilter cover and
clean it

Do you still have the 1 that is bolted to the lower part or the 1 with the
clips ??
Anyway, just make sure it is seated correctly with the new filter element to
avoid dirt leaking around the filter

ups.com...

/

Old August 7th 06, 09:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jimmy the Hand

> > > it
> > > gas.
> > > cuts
> > > is

> > > and
> > > owner
> > > properly?

Forget about the spark plugs unless you pull one out and it is
digustingly dirty. My '94 Explorer has the exact same problem. I
still haven't found the answer for it. The MAF is a great place to
start. Don't bother adapting any of your existing torx fittings for it
though. Just grab a punch and gently tap down the existing little
annoying middle tit on the two MAF sensor screws. They will crumble
like soft POS white metal that they are and you should be able to get a
regular torx on it after that(at least that's what I did). I'm not
guranteeing that this is going to fix your sluggish gas pedal(mine is
still like that) but it may help. Try what the other posters have said
first(because it is great information) and then post back with any
other problems. I'm not a mechanic but I have first hand experience
with the dreaded '94 Exlorer. Good luck.