2002 Dodge Grand Caravan

Old June 3rd 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan

I bought it couple of months ago. It did not come with owners manual.
Just ordered one.

A yellow engine light on the information panel stays on all the time. I
noticed it after 50 k miles. A friend of mine said that it is probably
the warning to get 50 K inspction done, and that I have to reset the
computer?

Can any body tell me how to reset the computer?

Old June 3rd 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

--

"naeem_akhtar" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I bought it couple of months ago. It did not come with owners manual.
> Just ordered one.
>
> A yellow engine light on the information panel stays on all the time. I
> noticed it after 50 k miles. A friend of mine said that it is probably
> the warning to get 50 K inspction done, and that I have to reset the
> computer?
>
> Can any body tell me how to reset the computer?

The yellow lite is telling you that there is a malfunction with the emission
system and needs tending .

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old June 3rd 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

disconnect the battery for 2 minutes and it will reset the pcm so no lite
is on please note it will take up top 1500 miles for the computer to
relearn operation . if the lite comes on soon after then u have a hard part
failing and it needs to go in and have it looked at
turn the key on and off three times then bac on and then look at the
odometer if u see a po then a number ,right it down it's the fault ocde for
the service lite coming on

Old June 5th 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 15:33:03 -0400, philthy > wrote:

>disconnect the battery for 2 minutes and it will reset the pcm so no lite
>is on please note it will take up top 1500 miles for the computer to
>relearn operation . if the lite comes on soon after then u have a hard part
>failing and it needs to go in and have it looked at
>turn the key on and off three times then bac on and then look at the
>odometer if u see a po then a number ,right it down it's the fault ocde for
>the service lite coming on

I don't believe that the key on/off sequence will give you error codes
on the 2002 Caravan.

This vehicle uses the OBDII system. It was only the earlier OBDI
system that allowed for the key switching to access error codes.
The error codes can only be accessed by using a reader device
connected to the access port.

By holding down the trip odometer reset with key off, you can get
error codes but only for the instrument cluster.

Doug

Old June 5th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

naeem_akhtar wrote:
> I bought it couple of months ago. It did not come with owners manual.
> Just ordered one.
>
> A yellow engine light on the information panel stays on all the time. I
> noticed it after 50 k miles. A friend of mine said that it is probably
> the warning to get 50 K inspction done, and that I have to reset the
> computer?
>
> Can any body tell me how to reset the computer?

Go to Autozone. They will reset it for you for free.

They will also read the code and tell you exactly why the light came
on, rather than guessing why.

Old June 5th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

--

"Ether Jones" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> naeem_akhtar wrote:
> > I bought it couple of months ago. It did not come with owners manual.
> > Just ordered one.
> >
> > A yellow engine light on the information panel stays on all the time. I
> > noticed it after 50 k miles. A friend of mine said that it is probably
> > the warning to get 50 K inspction done, and that I have to reset the
> > computer?
> >
> > Can any body tell me how to reset the computer?

> Go to Autozone. They will reset it for you for free.
>
> They will also read the code and tell you exactly why the light came
> on, rather than guessing why.

You would be wasting your time having someone reset it. If there is a
problem it will stay on. Resetting it will do nothing because it will go
back on again. You need to find out what the problem is and get it fixed in
order for it to stay off

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old June 10th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

maxpower wrote:
> --
>
> "Ether Jones" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > naeem_akhtar wrote:
> > > I bought it couple of months ago. It did not come with owners manual.
> > > Just ordered one.
> > >
> > > A yellow engine light on the information panel stays on all the time. I
> > > noticed it after 50 k miles. A friend of mine said that it is probably
> > > the warning to get 50 K inspction done, and that I have to reset the
> > > computer?
> > >
> > > Can any body tell me how to reset the computer?

> > Go to Autozone. They will reset it for you for free.
> >
> > They will also read the code and tell you exactly why the light came
> > on, rather than guessing why.
> >

> You would be wasting your time having someone reset it. If there is a
> problem it will stay on. Resetting it will do nothing because it will go
> back on again. You need to find out what the problem is and get it fixed in
> order for it to stay off

What you say is true if there is a hard failure.

If the failure was an intermittent, then you definitely want to reset
it; especially if you will be driving the car for a while before making
repairs.

Old June 10th 06, 10:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

--

"Ether Jones" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> maxpower wrote:
> > --
> >
> > "Ether Jones" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...

manual.

time. I

probably

> > > Go to Autozone. They will reset it for you for free.
> > >
> > > They will also read the code and tell you exactly why the light came
> > > on, rather than guessing why.
> > >

> > You would be wasting your time having someone reset it. If there is a
> > problem it will stay on. Resetting it will do nothing because it will go
> > back on again. You need to find out what the problem is and get it fixed

in
> > order for it to stay off

> What you say is true if there is a hard failure.

Well why do you think the code has not cleared? a hard fault wont clear
until the problem is fixed. FInd out what the fault code is!!!

Old June 10th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

maxpower wrote:
> --
>
> "Ether Jones" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > maxpower wrote:
> > > --
> > >
> > > "Ether Jones" > wrote in message
> > > oups.com...

> manual.

> time. I

> probably

> > > You would be wasting your time having someone reset it. If there is a
> > > problem it will stay on. Resetting it will do nothing because it will go
> > > back on again. You need to find out what the problem is and get it fixed

> in
> > > order for it to stay off

> > What you say is true if there is a hard failure.

> Well why do you think the code has not cleared?

>From the way you framed the question, you seem to be implying that only

hard failures cause the check engine light to come on and stay on. Was
this your intent? In my experience with my Caravan, when an
intermittent failure occurs, the failure code is latched by the
computer, and the check engine light stays on until you retrieve the
code and reset it.

> a hard fault wont clear until the problem is fixed.

No one disgrees with this.

> FInd out what the fault code is!!!

Of course. Clearing the code without reading it first would be
foolish. As I said in my previous post: "They will also read the code
and tell you exactly why the light came on, rather than guessing why."