I own Toyota Tacoma LX 1996, does it sound like solenoid problem?

Old August 16th 05, 10:47 PM
Mark

Default I own Toyota Tacoma LX 1996, does it sound like solenoid problem?

I own Toyota Tacoma LX 1996.
The car has a problem.
After driving about 20 miles, wnen stopped; car would not start again.
I would have to wait for a while.
Apparently it is only after it cools off a little bit; I can start it
again.
I never have a problem early in the morning.

The mechanic so far has changed:
Batery.
Distribution cap
Distributor Rotor
Spark plugs
I beleive he has changed evrything there is to change, but could not
fix it.

The electronic diagnostic test he brought car to was about $80.00.
It came back and was told that changing catalityc converter can help.
That is about $500.00.
The mechanic gave up, and said I should bring it to Toyota dealer for
electronic test. Then tell results to mechanic.

Toyota service advised me not to do that, but just bring car to them
and they guarantee they will fix it. One thing they do not say is how
much it could be.

So, the friend of mine said; "go by "solenoid; it is pretty cheap.
Replace the old one. It is pretty easy job to do???"

I beleive this is what he said. I called Toyota parts and service .
They say the solenoid for this car is part of starter. Is not sold
separate.
I called AUTO ZONE parts store. They say "SOLENOID SWITCH is about
$60.00 and comes separate.

Any suggestions?

subject:
I own Toyota Tacoma LX 1996, does it sound like solenoid problem?

Old August 17th 05, 01:02 AM
fweddybear

>I own Toyota Tacoma LX 1996.
> The car has a problem.
> After driving about 20 miles, wnen stopped; car would not start again.
> I would have to wait for a while.
> Apparently it is only after it cools off a little bit; I can start it
> again.
> I never have a problem early in the morning.
>
> The mechanic so far has changed:
> Batery.
> Distribution cap
> Distributor Rotor
> Spark plugs
> I beleive he has changed evrything there is to change, but could not
> fix it.
>
> The electronic diagnostic test he brought car to was about $80.00.
> It came back and was told that changing catalityc converter can help.
> That is about $500.00.
> The mechanic gave up, and said I should bring it to Toyota dealer for
> electronic test. Then tell results to mechanic.
>
> Toyota service advised me not to do that, but just bring car to them
> and they guarantee they will fix it. One thing they do not say is how
> much it could be.
>
> So, the friend of mine said; "go by "solenoid; it is pretty cheap.
> Replace the old one. It is pretty easy job to do???"
>
> I beleive this is what he said. I called Toyota parts and service .
> They say the solenoid for this car is part of starter. Is not sold
> separate.
> I called AUTO ZONE parts store. They say "SOLENOID SWITCH is about
> $60.00 and comes separate.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> subject:
> I own Toyota Tacoma LX 1996, does it sound like solenoid problem?

Well, you need to clarify a little here. When you say it does not
start, does that mean it cranks over, but doesn't actually fired up and run,
or does that mean it doesn't even crank over? When cold, if it cranks
over and starts, then you get out of the car, go into the store and do what
you have to, come out and try starting it again, and doesn't....it sounds
more like you have a venting problem. Could also possibly be the fuel pump
is giving you trouble, but unlikely.
If if just plain doesn't turn over, which could happen seemingly at
random, that could be your starter. It may have a weak spot or dead
area.... sometimes rapping it (the starter that is)lightly with a hammer
will help get you going, after which you will need to replace the starter,
but it really sounds like the first case....

Good Luck

Fwed

Old August 17th 05, 01:11 AM
Mark

Thanks.

<<does that mean it cranks over, but doesn't actually fired up and
run>>
Yes, it cranks up.

It does happen when car is hot enough.
What is next thing? Is it a solenoid? Solenoid switch?

Old August 17th 05, 01:19 AM
Shep

Ok it cranks but doesn't fire, right? Has any one checked if it has spark or
injector pulse when this happens, these are basic first step issues.
ups.com...

Old August 17th 05, 05:40 AM
Mark

I know he has changed spark plugs

Old August 17th 05, 07:13 AM
Ryan Underwood

"Mark" > writes:

>Thanks.

><<does that mean it cranks over, but doesn't actually fired up and
>run>>
>Yes, it cranks up.

Well, you're either missing spark or fuel. I don't know your car, but crank
sensors (if you have a distributor-less ignition) love to act like this,
working fine one moment and nothing the next. The symptom of a bad crank sensor
would be no spark whenever you are having the no start condition, so check for
spark at that time, and if it is missing, consider replacing the crank sensor -
or perhaps having your other ignition components tested with more scrutiny.