Drive train noise in Jeep Liberty 4x4

Old March 3rd 11, 01:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Moses

Default Drive train noise in Jeep Liberty 4x4

I recently acquired a 2005 Jeep Liberty, 3.7 engine 4x4. Mileage is
going on 80k. I thought the noise I heard on dry pavement was due to
worn rear tires but tire change didn't affect the noise. You notice a
thumping noise at about 20 mph that increases in frequency and turns
into a whine at 45mph. At 60mph the whine is mostly not a problem.
I guess it's a bearing somewhere? Any advice? How costly to fix?
I do not thing it is a front wheel bearing as turns don't affect the
noise. The noise doesn't change with engine rpm, only speed.
Old March 12th 11, 05:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Spumolio

On Mar 3, 8:12*am, Moses > wrote:
> I recently acquired a 2005 Jeep Liberty, 3.7 engine 4x4. Mileage is
> going on 80k. *I thought the noise I heard on dry pavement was due to
> worn rear tires but tire change didn't affect the noise. *You notice a
> thumping noise at about 20 mph that increases in frequency and turns
> into a whine at 45mph. At 60mph the whine is mostly not a problem.
> I guess it's a bearing somewhere? *Any advice? *How costly to fix?
> I do not thing it is a front wheel bearing as turns don't affect the
> noise. *The noise doesn't change *with engine rpm, only speed.

Sounds like a u-joint. They go out. Not expensive and not that hard
for a DIY'er. Search for a how-to, there's lot's of them out there.