Herbie !!

Old June 8th 05, 04:36 AM
Scott H

"Tim Rogers" wrote ...

> "TerryB" wrote ...
> > I hope they don't drive it far with that engine tin missing. Notice
> > pic 113 from the link you posted, that the rear tin is missing in the
> > engine bay. You can see the ground!! Oh well, they got plenty of
> > money to fix it.

> http://public.fotki.com/PMS/vw_event..._tour_113.html
> ........Does anyone recognise those decals on the fan housing?

Just noticed this over at The Samba:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/banners/q...bie_header.gif

Their site and the logo:
http://www.qualitygermanautoparts.com/Mainframe.htm
http://www.qualitygermanautoparts.com/nltransblue.jpg

oldbug.com supplied the base cars and, according to them, FAT Performance built the engines for the Nascar Herbies and Disney built
the cars in house:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...ghlight=oldbug

--
Scott

Old June 8th 05, 05:25 AM
Joey Tribiani

"John Willis" > wrote in message

> Gee, do you, like, really think so? Like, really, I mean, it starts
> and runs without it, so, like, it must not be all that, like,
> important, right?

LOL...well John someone piped up in that thread at thesamba saying the rear
plate isn't needed...says hes in az and doesn't have one and his 1835 never
overheats..(*he said he has neither front nor rear breastplates)...so i
guess its not needed...cause i read it on the internet...<G>

Old June 8th 05, 02:15 PM
Wild Bill

When the Herbie Cruise stopped in Pensacola last Sat. Herbie was met at
a Rest Area 20 miles outside of Town. The car was driven at expressway
speeds and escorted into town by the Sheriffs Dept. basically nonstop as
all intersections were blocked by the Sheriffs cars. Herbie made the
trip without difficulty. When the Cruise stopped at Pete Moore VW we had
2 hours to take pictures and closely examine good ole # 53 and talk with
the Disney people and Dave from Karmann Ghia Parts and Restorations.
This car was classified as Herbie #9 the Junk Yard car. In the movie it
is seen as rusted and beat up in a Junkyard.
=A0=A0For the purpose of the cruise across America for the movie
promotion Herbie was given a fresh paint job and a new engine. The tin
was left off because the headers were scortching the paint off ad Herbie
was only supposed to be driven on and off the Trailer! The 25 plus mile
trip that Herbie made with us was the longest that the car had been
driven. All in all it was a great day for about a hundred club members
and their families and really cool being escorted through town with
About 50+ VW's and support vehicles. Thanks for the kind words Susan.

Be Cool.....AIRCOOLED !!

"Wild" Bill Tucker

President
Rare Air VW Club
Pensacola, Florida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug "The Grape"

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic

Rare Air VW Club Website:

http://www.devoted.to/RareAir

or

http://community.webtv.net/stlkikn/RAREAIRVWCLUBINFO

Old June 8th 05, 02:46 PM
johnboy

>http://public.fotki.com/PMS/vw_event..._tour_113.html

No wonder it's on a trailer - with idiocy like that it's going to be a toad
anyway.

Old June 8th 05, 02:48 PM
johnboy

"John Willis" > wrote in message

> Gee, do you, like, really think so? Like, really, I mean, it starts
> and runs without it, so, like, it must not be all that, like,
> important, right?

Oh yeah! I forgot! It flies, too!

Old June 8th 05, 02:54 PM
johnboy

"Wild Bill" > wrote in message

> Herbie was only supposed to be driven on and off the Trailer!

Slut

Old June 8th 05, 05:36 PM
TerryB

Joey Tribiani wrote:
> "John Willis" > wrote in message
>

> > Gee, do you, like, really think so? Like, really, I mean, it starts
> > and runs without it, so, like, it must not be all that, like,
> > important, right?
> >

> LOL...well John someone piped up in that thread at thesamba saying the rear
> plate isn't needed...says hes in az and doesn't have one and his 1835 never
> overheats..(*he said he has neither front nor rear breastplates)...so i
> guess its not needed...cause i read it on the internet...<G>

Yeah, that is why I have just spent the last couple weeks tracking down
flaps to put in my shroud. I have never had them and since they are
not needed any more <COUGH> I thought I would put them in so I could
look cool for having something no one else does. <COUGH> <COUGH>

I could spray them flat black so they can really not be seen, how cool
is that?

I am being mean here, guess I need to stop it before I offend someone.

Really though, I have just bought the flaps to put in. I don't have
the stat or the connecting rods, just the flaps for now. Will get the
rest as I can find it from someone who does not think it is gold. If
it is considered rare cause few people use them any more, does not mean
to me they should be priced through the roof. Geezzz!!! Now the stats
are kind of a different story, they are just expensive.