Switching to electronic ignition on a 72 van

Old June 7th 05, 08:25 PM
Mike

Default Switching to electronic ignition on a 72 van

Has anyone done this and what components did you use?

Old June 7th 05, 09:12 PM
Jan Andersson

Mike wrote:

> Has anyone done this and what components did you use?

what do you mean by electronic ignition?

1. simple points replacement unit with no "brain" (Pertronix is my
favorite, Compufire is just as popular and Bugpack's Accu-Fire is a
re-packaged Compufire)

2. CDI kit, uses either points or the above setup, gives out more
powerful spark (Tiger and Lumenition I think)

3. MSD or equivalent "BOX" that does the same as above but offers
features like adjustable rev limiter, multiple spark etc. (MSD, Crane
Cams)

4. Programmable ignition that uses some or all of the above and can be
programmed with a laptop, and is often used with other engine management
systems like programmable fuel injection etc. (Motec, Hestec, many
others)

Jan
Old June 8th 05, 01:58 AM
Karl

Or..... swapping in 79-83 Calif version true electronic ignition. Drop-in swap.......

Old June 8th 05, 05:03 PM
Christian M. Mericle

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 23:12:01 +0300, Jan Andersson
> wrote:

>Mike wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone done this and what components did you use?

>what do you mean by electronic ignition?
>

>1. simple points replacement unit with no "brain" (Pertronix is my
>favorite, Compufire is just as popular and Bugpack's Accu-Fire is a
>re-packaged Compufire)

<snip>

I had a Pertronix on my bus but fried it by using the quick start
setting on a battery charger. Have points in there now but will
probably go back to a Pertronix sometime.

-- Christian
'71 Bus - Turtle

Save Darfur -- http://www.savedarfur.org/
World Vision (Darfur) -- http://donate.wvus.org/OA_HTML/xxwvi...item=107218 2