96 Explorer JBL System Replacement

Old July 30th 06, 08:02 AM posted to rec.audio.car,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jeff[_8_]

Default 96 Explorer JBL System Replacement

Hi Folks,

I am considering replacing the stereo in my 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
with a navigation unit. I have heard many stories regarding the complexity
of this system and would like any input anyone has to offer before I start.
It has the JBL system with subwoofer, rear seat controls, power antenna, and
CD changer

I would like to install a unit that utilizes the factory amp and subwoofer
if possible. If there a harness available that will allow me to plug and
play into the factory system without much rewiring. I understand I will
lose my rear seat controls and CD changer.

I also hear the power antenna trigger is a little different on these models,
and uses a 5V trigger. Will this be a problem when keeping this antenna and
installing an aftermarket radio?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

--
Jeff Warren

Old July 30th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.audio.car,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Captain_Howdy[_1_]

If you're thinking about doing this just to add navigation, I would look at
other options such as the Garmin Streetpilot and Magellan Roadmate. They are
removable so there is no need to worry about them being stolen. You can use
them in more then one car which makes them great if you ever go on a fly then
rent a car vacation. If you own a boat or a bike you can use them there also.
They also support worldwide mapping along with marine maps ( I know the Garmin
supports marine and aviation maps). Garmin and Magellan maps are a lot cheaper
and far more often updated vs maps for in car units such as Alpine or Pioneer.

Old August 15th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.audio.car,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Al Williams

Goto the Crutchfield Web site and use the pop-up menus to choose the car
year, make and model, and get a list of equipment that's designed to fit it.
You can also call them up and talk to pretty knowledgeable people. They are
by far the best place to go for advice and support:

www.Crutchfield.com

--
Allan Williams