Crooked Steering Wheel

Old February 9th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Crooked Steering Wheel

My steering wheel on my '99 GMC Yukon is crooked. It is turned a few
degrees to the left when the truck is travelling down the road straight.
Tires are worn evenly, and the front end is lubed every 5k miles or so. The
vehicle has 51k miles. I know an alignment should fix this, but why would
the steering wheel do this? Does this mean a steering component on one side
has more wear than on the other? Seems to me that if all steering
components were wearing evenly, the wheel would stay centered, but perhaps
the toe would be off, for instance. I don't remember any of my cars doing
this, except if I had an alignment and they didn't center the wheel. Any
ideas?

Old February 9th 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Does it do it on all roads? Many vehicles will do this on crowned roads.

--
Steve

Old February 9th 06, 12:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Does a different driver drive this truck at times? maybe a young teen?
Sounds to me like someone hit a curb or something with the frontend.
Some roads are pretty rough lately, maybe you have hit a bad pot hole
or two.
You did not mention if the truck has always had this problem.

Old February 10th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

No, no other drivers. It just recently developed the problem, which is why
I'm puzzled about it. I don't remember any potholes that I hit hard enough
to cause something like this and I'm sure I didn't hit any curbs.

oups.com...

Old February 10th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"WaterWatcher" > wrote in message
. ..
> No, no other drivers. It just recently developed the problem, which is
> why I'm puzzled about it. I don't remember any potholes that I hit hard
> enough to cause something like this and I'm sure I didn't hit any curbs.
>
> "ferretkona" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Does a different driver drive this truck at times? maybe a young teen?
>> Sounds to me like someone hit a curb or something with the frontend.
>> Some roads are pretty rough lately, maybe you have hit a bad pot hole
>> or two.
>> You did not mention if the truck has always had this problem.

Add up the wearable parts on the front end. Then total the' little
wears' for each component, realizing that for ~6-7 years it has been driven,
and wearing, while possibly rolling along a road crowned down to the right
and with steer. wheel being pulled--ever so slightly--to the left to offset
the crown, and it can very well be there from normal wear. (If the wear
concerns you, and with only 51k miles on a '99, I'd love to relieve your
concerns by purchasing it. HTH, s

Old February 10th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

If not worn or broken parts, check for tire pressure if you havent
allready.

Old February 10th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

A low tire can cause it.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's