**** Troll Control ****

Old June 19th 05, 03:44 PM

Default **** Troll Control ****

It's obvious the problem is systemic, and the open nature of the group
also exposes the group to the behaviour we are observing.

This used to be (and can be again) an extremely enjoyable forum with a
wonderful, free-wheeling spirit. I must admit that my reaction to the
appearance of these 'contributors' was akin to that of a picknicker
finding ants in the potato salad; annoyance and revulsion but 'no big
thing'. At first I was shocked by the level of vitriole (and yes, even
self-loathing apparent in the poor little Golems rants). Then I was
slightly amused by the depth of the hatred and predictability of the
little misogynistic, racist, and otherwise altogether sociopathic twits
rantings. Now I find myself tired of and completely bored with it.

The ISP's of the abusing posters apparently don't care what they do as
long the bill gets paid. We've had some great suggestions on blocking
addresses and using killfiles, etc., but these are just remedial salves
for a spreading melanoma.

Hate to say it (mainly because I really don't have much time to do it)
but maybe the group should be moderated.

Thoughts? (yes, even you misconceived little darlings are welcome to
participate)

Old June 19th 05, 04:37 PM
John C.

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Hate to say it (mainly because I really don't have much time to do it)
> but maybe the group should be moderated.
>
> Thoughts? (yes, even you misconceived little darlings are welcome to
> participate)

Nah, the problem is akin to an ingrown toenail....a minor annoyance, that
will pass with time.
--
John C.
'03 Cobra Convt.

Old June 19th 05, 05:16 PM
tarzan

you must be referring to hurcast. This character never has anything good to
say. I agree with you guys, he's a slight pain but the good information
outweighs the bad.

Old June 19th 05, 07:20 PM
D.K.R.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Regarding troll-related conflicts, there are six groups into which users
might be classified:

* Trolls are users who actively provoke conflict.
* Trollhunters (or Trollbaiters) behave according to a principle of
"second strike". They do not initiate conflict, but escalate it once it
begins. Often they use other trolls as an excuse for their own
misbehavior, and in many cases, typecast a user as a "troll" regardless
of his or her intent.
* Ignorers seek to ignore the conflict, continuing with the topic
at-hand. They usually express a nonchalant disdain for the troll, but do
not seek actively to insult him or her. They behave like elders, issuing
simple words of wisdom such as "Do not feed the trolls." or other
phrases that generally mean the same thing: "Ignore the troublemaker and
he will give up and go away." (The phrase "Do Not Feed The Energy
Creature" or "DNFTEC" may be used, referring to a Star Trek episode in
which a creature deliberately caused antagonism in order to feed on the
psychic energy released) This type of response could be taken as
passive-aggressive Trollbaiter behavior.
* Moderators (not in the same sense as a "system moderator") seek
to resolve the conflict, making all parties happy, if possible.
* Bystanders withdraw from the conflict. In particularly bad cases,
they will leave the forum in disgust.
* Hijackers initiate an offtopic discussion in response to
provocative posts by a troll.

Old June 19th 05, 07:45 PM
SVTKate

> wrote in message
Thoughts? (yes, even you misconceived little darlings are welcome to
: participate)

I was not misconceived, my parents were married first.

I disagree, I think it would ruin the group if it were moderated.
If I wanted a moderated group, there are a zillion of them out there that I
could go to .

I want to be able to tell someone to F*** off if I want to without someone
cleaning out my post.

Meat and potatoes, not that reduced interest junk.

I'll just keep blocking and ignoring the little roaches.

Kate

Old June 21st 05, 10:56 AM
David M

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 07:44:53 -0700, effie_debow rearranged some electrons
to form:

> It's obvious the problem is systemic, and the open nature of the group
> also exposes the group to the behaviour we are observing.
>
> Thoughts? (yes, even you misconceived little darlings are welcome to
> participate)

The best way to get rid of it is to STOP TAKING THE BAIT and quit
responding to its posts, no matter what they are. If no one
is paying attention to it, it will eventually go away.

--
David M (dmacchiarolo)
http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled

trolls Merc Ford Mustang 1 April 28th 05 04:58 AM
YOU CAN'T DRIVE TOO SLOW Laura Bush murdered her boy friend Driving 93 April 21st 05 10:34 AM
1971 Alfa Spider 1750 - Front upper control arm locating washers... SteveC Alfa Romeo 11 December 2nd 04 03:52 PM
2004 Durango Limited Automatic Temp Control (ATC) Sven Dodge 22 May 23rd 04 07:26 PM