98/540ia timing cover removal ?

Old January 8th 05, 10:33 PM
zz

Default 98/540ia timing cover removal ?

I seem to have developed a nasty leak coming from the timing cover on the
drivers side on 98/540ia and i am trying to find out how difficult this is
to repair. Do I have to lift the engine to remove everything I need in order
to remove the cover plate(s). It is not clear in the manuals - I am not
going to replace the timing chain - just want to remove the covers (upper
and lower?) and replace the gasket to stop the bleeding... help please with
a little explanation of "how to"

thanks in advance --

Old January 8th 05, 11:06 PM
Kyle and Lori Greene

"zz" > wrote in message ...
>I seem to have developed a nasty leak coming from the timing cover on the
> drivers side on 98/540ia and i am trying to find out how difficult this is
> to repair. Do I have to lift the engine to remove everything I need in
> order
> to remove the cover plate(s). It is not clear in the manuals - I am not
> going to replace the timing chain - just want to remove the covers (upper
> and lower?) and replace the gasket to stop the bleeding... help please
> with
> a little explanation of "how to"
>
> thanks in advance --

Try tightening up the bolts on the cover before you go replacing the
gaskets. My 98 740iL (same engine) had a leak last spring. Tightened the
bolts and its been leak free since then.

Kyle.

Old January 9th 05, 12:57 AM
Jim Levie

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 16:33:06 -0600, zz wrote:

> I seem to have developed a nasty leak coming from the timing cover on the
> drivers side on 98/540ia and i am trying to find out how difficult this is
> to repair. Do I have to lift the engine to remove everything I need in
> order to remove the cover plate(s). It is not clear in the manuals - I am
> not going to replace the timing chain - just want to remove the covers
> (upper and lower?) and replace the gasket to stop the bleeding... help
> please with a little explanation of "how to"

The first thing I'd do would be to clean the engine really well to help in
determining where the leak actually is. There's not much room in that area
for close examination and the fan blows any oil that leaks all around,
making it difficult to determine the source. Watch things closely after
you've cleaned the engine and you should be able to spot the first
sign of oil leaking.

I say cleaning and looking is the first step because everytime I've
thought that I had a timing cover gasket problem on one of the in-line
sixes it has turned out to be something else. Typically it wound up being
something behind the crank pulley, which is just as bad to fix as if it
had been the timing cover gasket.

Yes, it can be done with the engine in the car. Everything on the front
has to come off, hoses, belts, fan, etc. Protect the radiator and your
hands with a heavy piece of cardboard, or take it out for a bit more
working room.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Old January 9th 05, 03:38 AM
zz

thanks , but I have cleaned and tried to retighten everything but it still
leaks -- so I was looking for an accurate answer as to whether I could do
replace/fix without raising the motor (not removing it), and just taking off
the normal ac/alt/waterpump/crankpulley ?

news

Old January 9th 05, 11:21 AM
Kyle and Lori Greene

I have repair instructions that I can email you. If you would like them,
send me your email address.

Kyle.

Old January 9th 05, 01:24 PM
John Burns

> Try tightening up the bolts on the cover before you go replacing the
> gaskets. My 98 740iL (same engine) had a leak last spring. Tightened the
> bolts and its been leak free since then.

But do NOT overtighten them! They're just going into aluminium and are
easy to strip.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old January 9th 05, 06:49 PM
zz

Hi Kyle - if you could send me the instructions you have I would very much
appreciate it.. I tried to look at an ETK cd but it looks like everything
applies to the 6 cylinder not the 8 cyl M62 engine - plsease send to

m...