gas prices too high or too low?

Old June 13th 04, 04:10 AM
ben

hate to tell ya but SUVs are different than minivans and station
wagons because they are considered trucks....

a truck by def of the federal gov. does not have too meet the same gas
and safety standards as a passanger car

"being classified as a light truck has its advantages. Trucks must
post a CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) of 20.7 miles per gallon
(with a very modest boost to 22.2 mpg by 2007), while that figure is
27.5 mpg for passenger cars; and until now light trucks have been
given breaks on tighter new air pollution regulations, although they
will soon be held to the same emissions standards as cars."

http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...1&article=6769

(which is why auto makers like classifying SUVs as trucks).....

the bottome line in a capitalist culture is all about $$$$$$$$$

Old June 13th 04, 05:15 AM
ben

if I wasn't such a nice guy, I might think:

1) ya drive a big old SUV to make up for sexual inadequacy,

2) or bet ya were a bully in school because it made ya feel like a big
important person,

3) or bet you are too dumb to make any reasonable intellectual
argument

but since I'm a nice guy and above all the childish name calling, I'll
leave ya with these thoughts...

gore is a typical politician (who lies for political gain, as all
politicans do), FYI I did not vote for him or clinton

second if ya like president bush jr ya have to realize in many
respects he will be considered to be much much much worst than clinton
(by future historians).

just think his moves to tear down the separation of church and state
is akin to what the taliban - this nation was set up so people could
live in a society free of a religious state church, with his
introduction of some ideas of religion (even though they may seem
moral and just), religious arguements tend to say one group is better
than another - look at the taliban their god was suppose to be
just.... I think it was president Lincoln hit the nail on the head
when he said how can the name of god be invoked by both sides (that
was of course during the civil war when both the north and south said
god was on their side)

second republicans (to be fare so are many politicans in democratic
party) are hypocrites, when they say they believe in the free market
system....

just think about their position on the current topic of SUVs, if they
had balls to stand up to corporate interests they could say that SUVs
should be treated just like CARS in the CAFE standards (if the playing
field were level, then the fleet of vehicles produced by the auto
makers would different since they would be taxed on producing
inefficent vehicles - there is a gas guzzler tax on cars that get poor
mileage, then should be one on SUVs), if people need a specific
vehicle for a particular use (like going off road) they would buy it
since they would use it and be willing to pay for it, the free market
would sort out what kind of vehicles get made in this case.

as it stands, auto makers produce lots of SUVs because of the CAFE
standard loophole,

"being classified as a light truck has its advantages. Trucks must
post a CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) of 20.7 miles per gallon
(with a very modest boost to 22.2 mpg by 2007), while that figure is
27.5 mpg for passenger cars; and until now light trucks have been
given breaks on tighter new air pollution regulations, although they
will soon be held to the same emissions standards as cars."

http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...1&article=6769

then secondly the general public buy into the tough image of SUVs....

http://www.phaster.com/counter-ads/counter-suvs.html

http://www.phaster.com/road_trips/ar...patriotic.html

Old June 13th 04, 05:15 AM
ben

Old June 13th 04, 05:32 AM
Dave Hill

> People don't NEED to be driving at all, so unless you have a bus pass
> you're just talking out of your ass.

Well actually, in our society today, where a horse-and-buggy is simply not
practical in most areas, and very few people have the luxury of living
within walking distance of their employment or recreation or even basic
supplies like groceries, and public transportation is not feasible for a lot
of folks--- most people *do* need to drive. Whether we like it or not, this
country's social, family, and work lifestyles are centered around personal
vehicles. But that issue wasn't my point. I'm not going to debate whether
it should be or not. Right now, it just is.

Conservation is the key word. Back in the late 1970s / early 1980s, we were
willing to conserve on gas. Cars became smaller, people drove fewer miles.
Now, it seems, we're not willing to conserve at all. That's not a good
thing.

Saying that people don't need to be driving at all, even if that *is*
accepted as truth, doesn't explain or even comment to my remark about SUV's.
I still don't understand why it's necessary to purchase (and drive) them as
often as people do, when a smaller gas-saving car would do just fine most of
the time. SUV's are gas hogs, and as such, they're worse for the
environment, much worse for the pocketbook, and they take up more than their
share of parking spaces and road space than a smaller car would do. If
there's a particular reason you disagree with that, it's cool with me, and
I'd like to hear it. But non-sequitor comments about driving in general
doesn't really enter into the debate, you know?

Old June 13th 04, 05:32 AM
Dave Hill

Old June 13th 04, 05:55 AM
ben

I'm not sure what the right price is, because it is a very complicated
issue, for example how does an economist value the harm caused by
pollution (there are some estimates, but it economics is not a hard
science unlike physics, where I can work out a solution and a second
party can confirm my exact calculation).

the national geo article said the real price of gas is about $4.00
bucks plus a gal, and just looking at the illustration I could think
of additional variable that would add to the cost, but I guess it is
as good of a 1st order approximation that one could agree upon.

doing a google search on a paper on the price of gas I found:

http://www.worldwatch.org/press/news/2000/09/28/

I should let it be know that not too long ago, I met the author of
this paper when he was in town (I get all kinds of journals and
worldwatch happens to be one of them), it was a most of the people
there were egg head types who worked at scripps and UCSD (don't know
why I got an invite but figure what the hey why not go for the food
and drinks).

to tell the truth I don't know that would be a fair and just price, I
just figure that it should be at least where it is now or higher.

as it stands the free market system is not in effect as far as gas
prices are concerned (most of the general public would not be able to
live their current life style if they had to pay the fair cost of gas,
they have grown addicted to oil)

when ya think about it critically the problem is akin to a drug
addiction, at some point we need to kick our national addiction to oil
and I think it would be better if we slowly learn to live within our
means rather than let external forces make changes for us, in
economics there are two sides of the equation supply and demand (I
think it best in the national interest to work on the lowering the
demand).

if it were up to me, I would make it a law that everyone one else pay
that higher price (and adjust it for inflation) the exclude myself
from paying anything for gas (ya know kind of like how congress
excludes itself from many laws it passes, for example I think they
have a separate retirement system, medical system, etc.).

Old June 13th 04, 05:55 AM
ben

Old June 13th 04, 10:56 AM
dcbryan

Brian-

Where the heck are you living that gas was $1.20 in '81? I started driving
in '87 and I clearly remember paying around 87 cents per gallon then.

-Dave

<snip>

Old June 13th 04, 10:56 AM
dcbryan

Old June 13th 04, 04:35 PM
Ron Tipton

>>People don't NEED to be driving at all, so unless you have a bus pass
>>you're just talking out of your ass.

Hummmm, speak for yourself. I suppose it may be that you don't NEED to
be driving. But I do. I'm disabled and cannot ride a bike or ever walk
more than around 1/4 mile without a rest. I also don't deal with heat
well. I live in a city (Knoxville, Tennessee) with very poor public
transportation and long hot summers. The nearest place to buy food is
a mile or so away, my work is seven miles away and the nearest public
transportation is about three mile away.

If I don't NEED to drive, explain to me how I get work, buy food, etc.
I suppose you could pass laws greatly limiting where folks like me can
live/work etc, or lock us up somewhere or just kill us, but lacking
these draconian measures I think that some of us do indeed NEED to drive.

Of course, I didn't mention all of the people who live in rural areas
with no public transprotation. How do you suggest they get around if
they don't NEED to drive?

Ron Tipton
Dragonhome.org