My 84 Vanagon backfires

Old April 1st 05, 05:29 AM
rodd

Default My 84 Vanagon backfires

Last summer while was driving on the high mountain roads of southeastern
British Columbia when the temperature would approach about 40 celsius at the
height of the day. At about this time the engine (1.9l with fuel injection)
would start backfiring about once every 10 to 15 minutes then it would stop
backfiring until the same time the next day. It hasn't happened since I came
back to the prairies. I fear this will happen again next summer when I go
back.
Does anybody have any advice on what the problem might be?
,Rod

Old April 1st 05, 07:32 PM
nono

hy
i am french, what mean "backfiring "
Z643e.862150$Xk.626248@pd7tw3no...

Old April 1st 05, 09:42 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, nono wrote:

>hy
>i am french, what mean "backfiring "

Explosion of unburned exhaust gas in the exhaust pipe/muffler.

"retour de flamme" from http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

Old April 1st 05, 11:22 PM
Nate Nagel

Technically, a backfire is through the carb but it's also sometimes used
as you describe.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old April 1st 05, 11:55 PM
Mystic

Tom's VR6 wrote:
> In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, nono wrote:
>

>>hy
>>i am french, what mean "backfiring "

> Explosion of unburned exhaust gas in the exhaust pipe/muffler.
>
> "retour de flamme" from http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr
>

>>"rodd" > a écrit dans le message de news:
>>Z643e.862150$Xk.626248@pd7tw3no...
>>
>>> Last summer while was driving on the high mountain roads of

>>southeastern
>>
>>>British Columbia when the temperature would approach about 40 celsius at

>>the
>>
>>>height of the day. At about this time the engine (1.9l with fuel

>>injection)
>>
>>>would start backfiring about once every 10 to 15 minutes then it would

>>stop
>>
>>>backfiring until the same time the next day. It hasn't happened since I

>>came
>>
>>>back to the prairies. I fear this will happen again next summer when I go
>>>back.
>>> Does anybody have any advice on what the problem might be?
>>>,Rod

My guess would be the high altitude and the temperature do not agree
with how your vanagon is tuned. Air pressure and temperature do make a
difference when it comes to engine firing problems.