4.0L SOHC Cam Chain Problem

Old November 6th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Default 4.0L SOHC Cam Chain Problem

If you're familiar with these, I'm trying to understand how this works,
and what the problems are. Near as I can tell, it works like this:

There is a separate cam chain and tensioner for each head. The cam for
driver's side head is driven by a chain on the front of the engine,
while the cam for the passenger side head is driven by a chain on the
rear of the engine. A "jack shaft" apparently drives both cam chains.
The early tensioners and guides were not reliable, resulting in noise
as the chains chewed up stuff around them, resulting in metallic debris
in the oil.

The front chain assy can be repaired in the vehicle, but the engine has
to be removed to repair the rear chain assy. The chain tensioners have
been revised at least twice, as the original design and first redesign
were not reliable. Ford repaired these problems under warranty for 7
yrs or 70K miles, or some say 7 yrs or 100K miles.

Does this sound right?
-Paul

Old November 6th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

wrote:
> If you're familiar with these, I'm trying to understand how this works,

I found description of the the cam chains on all the engines at
AutoZone, including the V8 and both 4.0L V6 engines. Scroll down to
find the engine you're interested in:

http://tinyurl.com/y8euha

4.0L SOHC Engine (VIN E)

On the 4.0L SOHC engine, there are four chains which are used to time
the camshafts and balance the engine. There is a jackshaft mounted in
the middle of the engine block. The two camshafts are connected to the
jackshaft by two chains. The jackshaft is connected to the crankshaft
by a third chain. Also, a balance shaft assembly is chain driven off of
the crankshaft and timed to the rotation of the engine.

In order to remove either of the camshaft timing or balance shaft
chains, the jack shaft chain and sprockets must first be removed. Once
the jackshaft chain is removed, the left-hand camshaft and the balance
shaft chain can be serviced. In order to remove the right-hand camshaft
chain, the jackshaft must be removed. Additionally, in order to service
either camshaft chain assembly, the cylinder heads must be removed.

According to the manufacturer, the engine must be removed in order to
service the timing chain and sprocket assemblies.

Old November 9th 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Peterix

Hello,

Where can I confirm the warranty by intenet (I'm outside us...)

Regards

Old November 9th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Kenneth J. Harris

I remember seeing the letter about it quite a while back(this was for my
'98) but I don't think I still have it. The warranty was extended to 7
years or 70,000 miles. I think the time has run out by now in any
case--1998(or 1997 if it was purchased new in the fall of '97) to fall
of 2006 exceeds the 7 years.

Ken

Old November 14th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ollie

Google for 01M01 and 00M12