My car tried to kill me AGAIN

Old October 20th 12, 08:04 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
The Real Bev[_5_]

Default My car tried to kill me AGAIN

On 10/19/2012 03:54 PM, Nick Naim wrote:

> "The Real Bev" > wrote:

>>> I had this happen many years ago on a 1976 Caprice Classic when I
>>> engaged cruise control and the pedal dropped all the way to the
>>> floor. Thankfully, using the brakes disengaged cruise. Not saying
>>> that is the problem, but does your vehicle also have cruise
>>> control?

>> It does, but it hasn't worked since before 2007.

> Perhaps it is still working in the back ground in a bad way. Was this
> car a previous wreck?

Nope. My mom bought it brand new in 1987 and had it maintained by the
dealer whenever she was supposed to. Odometer just hit 76,000 miles!

I think it just stopped working from disuse. She only drove it locally.

--
Cheers, Bev
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++
Old October 22nd 12, 05:07 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
jgar the jorrible

On Oct 20, 12:04*pm, The Real Bev > wrote:
> On 10/19/2012 03:54 PM, Nick Naim wrote:

> >> It does, but it hasn't worked since before 2007.

> > Perhaps it is still working in the back ground in a bad way. Was this
> > car a previous wreck?

> Nope. *My mom bought it brand new in 1987 and had it maintained by the
> dealer whenever she was supposed to. *Odometer just hit 76,000 miles!
>
> I think it just stopped working from disuse. *She only drove it locally..

It's easy to think low mileage cars aren't going to have problems, but
that disuse thing and local driving can be hard on them. Seals dry
out, connectors corrode, exhaust corrodes, plugs plug and on and on.
Usually nothing that isn't just a matter of throwing money, and still
cheaper than buying new, but those intermittent electrical problems
can be nightmares.

My first car was my mom's '65 Galaxy with 50K miles on it "it runs
beautifully!" The rivets in the worn-out brake pads had sliced the
rear drums in two... and I learned all about rebuilding gunked up
Autolite 4-barrels...

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.