Body off how to ?

Old March 4th 05, 06:24 PM
tricky

Default Body off how to ?

Ok got most of the bolts undone or ground off.

Looking from the inside of the car where the heater chanel meets the
floor pan, some places I can see it move, some place have been welded
over in a pretty messy patchwork inside and out.

As I have never seen a body off before, I am a bit confused as to which
parts stay with the floor pan/chassis and which parts I need to grind
off the welds so they will stay with the body.

I will probly end up replacing the heater chanels any way, but as part
of the learning process I want to seperate the body without just
chopping through !

Yes I have ordered the bugme video's and yes I will be ordering the
panels but till they arrive I am stuck waiting impatiently !!

I have seen and read sites in the past, but now I want one I cant
remeber where they are !!!! argghhhh

Any links ? please !!!

oh yeah -- found one , no pictures , and it said half a days work !

Cheers
Rich
Old March 4th 05, 07:15 PM
Jan Andersson

tricky wrote:

> Ok got most of the bolts undone or ground off.
>
> Looking from the inside of the car where the heater chanel meets the
> floor pan, some places I can see it move, some place have been welded
> over in a pretty messy patchwork inside and out.
>
> As I have never seen a body off before, I am a bit confused as to which
> parts stay with the floor pan/chassis and which parts I need to grind
> off the welds so they will stay with the body.
>
> I will probly end up replacing the heater chanels any way, but as part
> of the learning process I want to seperate the body without just
> chopping through !
>
> Yes I have ordered the bugme video's and yes I will be ordering the
> panels but till they arrive I am stuck waiting impatiently !!
>
> I have seen and read sites in the past, but now I want one I cant
> remeber where they are !!!! argghhhh
>
> Any links ? please !!!
>
> oh yeah -- found one , no pictures , and it said half a days work !
>
> Cheers
> Rich

My friend's site:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/kaissu/resto1.htm

I have helped him with the metal work and I built the engine. (Which to
my knowledge hasn't run yet)

We lifted the body off together.

Hope these pics help a little.

Jan
Old March 4th 05, 08:29 PM
tricky

Thanks Jan

That helped for the floor pan. I have lots of UN-welding to do !!!

Very nice job, by the way ! when will the end of the project be posted ?

Any idea of the front mounting bolts for the 1303 ?

Rich

Old March 4th 05, 08:48 PM
Jan Andersson

tricky wrote:

> Thanks Jan
>
> That helped for the floor pan. I have lots of UN-welding to do !!!

> Very nice job, by the way ! when will the end of the project be posted ?

I dunno, they just had their SECOND baby a month or two ago. Apparently
he's been busy with other things

I did go help him put the engine in, we didn't finish the wiring yet and
I think the dual carbs are off at the moment.
I did break in teh cam when I built the engine and ran the engine a
little. So basically it's ready to run, save for some fine tuning and
new exhaust. I gave him a temporary exhaust to play with, until we find
time for me to come over and build him the final one, tailor made to fit
the car and stay hidden out of sight.

He is very dedicated and shows great attention to detail. It will be a
sweeeeetttt bug.

He just needs to pick up speed a little
But with a nother newborn in the family I can understand how he might
have difficulties finding the time.

> Any idea of the front mounting bolts for the 1303 ?
>
> Rich

I don't think there's much difference. Two on each side under the car,
very close to each other, and maybe one inside the car, on top of the
tunnel.

Jan

Old March 4th 05, 09:28 PM
Bob Johnson

Might take half a day to think about the work! 8>0.

Click on http://www.thebugshop.org/goresto.htm, search for heater channel
repair.

Old March 4th 05, 10:04 PM
tricky

got his site mirrored on my harddrive :-) Great site !

I search it earlyer for body off etc - no luck on details.

Will try heater chanels in a bit

Cheers
Rich

Old March 4th 05, 10:08 PM
tricky

Yeah, baby's tend to take priority, then you have to wait for them to
grow up !

My car isnt good enough to give it that much restoration. I will just do
the main parts and use it or sell it and look for a better one.

I have got plenty of grinding to do that will last me a few days,
hopefuly the bugme vid's will be here by then.

Thanks again

Rich

Old March 4th 05, 11:30 PM
Bob Johnson

I can't figure how even the expert restorers keep the insides of new heater
channels from continuing to rust as there's no way to get primer and paint
in there to cover the welds.

Factory cars were dipped in vats of both.

BJ

Old March 5th 05, 10:35 AM
tricky

http://www.superbeetles.com/Tech_talk/jun.htm

someone posted this for me on another forum.
Thought I would post it here too.
Hope it helps someone.

Rich

Old March 5th 05, 11:49 AM
Jan Andersson

They drill holes through which they feed flexible straws in, and spray
rust preventive wax through it. There's a nozzle at teh end of teh straw
that creates a sideways pattern for the spray.

Oh yea, who am I kidding. I'm not a pro. Bet 80% of them don't bother

Jan

Bob Johnson wrote:

> I can't figure how even the expert restorers keep the insides of new heater
> channels from continuing to rust as there's no way to get primer and paint
> in there to cover the welds.
>
> Factory cars were dipped in vats of both.
>
> BJ
>
> "tricky" > wrote in message
> > got his site mirrored on my harddrive :-) Great site !
> >
> > I search it earlyer for body off etc - no luck on details.
> >
> > Will try heater chanels in a bit
> >
> > Cheers
> > Rich
> >

> > Bob Johnson wrote:
> >
> >> Might take half a day to think about the work! 8>0.
> >>
> >> Click on http://www.thebugshop.org/goresto.htm, search for heater channel
> >> repair.

Can a type 2 body be removed from the frame for body work? [email protected] VW air cooled 2 February 6th 05 12:49 AM
Body Work by Bambi Jeepster Jeep 3 January 6th 05 11:02 AM
New valve body part number for infamous transaxle problems at twice the cost John Hupp Saturn 3 December 8th 04 04:04 PM
Body Shop Adviice James Sutherland Dodge 12 October 25th 04 08:56 PM