e34 coolant warning

Old October 8th 04, 09:07 PM
mojo

Default e34 coolant warning

Just managed to sort a thermostat replacement problem (long story but
basic symptoms were heater blowing cold, temp needle cold etc).
Everything seems fine now with new t'stat and circulation. however,
now the only niggle i have is that the coolant level warning light on
the dash flashes and bongs. The header tank is full with coolant, the
heater works perfect, the temp needle is nicely sitting in the middle
of the guage and the bleed screw on top of the t'stat housing lets out
only coolant when opened... so i'm wondering what's with the warning?
do i have to reset it somehow or is there something else i'm missing.

tia

mojo
Old October 8th 04, 10:04 PM
Jeff Strickland

It sucks to be you.

You have to pull the sensor from the bottom of the radiator tank and clean
it, or maybe replace it.

You could try unplugging it and cleaning the connector pins just in case
there is a poor connection that makes the car think the radiator is empty.

The reason it sucks to be you is that you have to drain the radiator again

om...

Old October 8th 04, 10:33 PM
mojohotmail

Thanks for this but for crying out loud!!!!!!!!!!

do you mean there's a sense at the bottom of the actual radiator or
somewhere near/in/on/at/under the header/filler tank by the bulk head? in
other words, where exactly do i find this sensor doodah?

scuse the ignorance... but how come i have to drain the rad again?

thanks Mr Strickland...

mojo

Old October 9th 04, 01:26 AM
spare-me-spam

You don't. I don't know what the previous poster was thinking, but the
coolant level sensor is in the reservoir tank, not the rad.
--
. uk...

Old October 9th 04, 08:09 PM
mojohotmail

Just checked the header/res tank and the sensor's in there. a black plastic
hex nut holds it in. terminals and white plastic float thingy look okay but
will replace and see what happens.

thanks again
mojo

Old October 9th 04, 10:27 PM
Kyle and Lori Greene

"spare-me-spam" > wrote in message
> You don't. I don't know what the previous poster was thinking, but the
> coolant level sensor is in the reservoir tank, not the rad.
> --

Right. It's on the bottom of the expansion tank. If you don't drain the
coolant before you remove it, everything in the tank and in the system above
the hoses leading into it will drain all over your garage floor. I'm sure
Jeff just mis-spoke when he said radiator.

Kyle.

Old October 9th 04, 10:50 PM
mojohotmail

Hi

thanks for this but... it's not. on my model, it's in the top of the
expansion tank, right next to the filler cap thing. btw, the exp. tank
itself is situated at the bulkhead/beaneath the windscreen. i guess there
are maybe the same models out with some different design ideas or mods.

thanks

mojo

. ..

Old October 10th 04, 03:17 PM
Dick Schneiders

>hanks for this but... it's not. on my model, it's in the top of the
>expansion tank, right next to the filler cap thing. btw, the exp. tank
>itself is situated at the bulkhead/beaneath the windscreen. i guess there
>are maybe the same models out with some different design ideas or mods.

Yes, because they have different engines in them. There are several different
engines used on E34's and they all will have different designs. The E34 525i
has two different engines, M20 for 1989 and 1990 and M50 for 1991 to 1995.
Old October 10th 04, 03:22 PM
mojohotmail

sorry - thought i'd mentioned what mine is at some point. obviously
haven't - a big six 3.0 fwiw

thanks

mojo

Old October 11th 04, 05:44 PM
Jeff Strickland

Firstly, my car is the E36, and it could be different than yours, but I
don't think it is different.

Yes, there is a sensor about 1/3 of the way up the side of the tank.

"mojohotmail" > wrote in message
. uk...
> Thanks for this but for crying out loud!!!!!!!!!!
>

> do you mean there's a sense at the bottom of the actual radiator or
> somewhere near/in/on/at/under the header/filler tank by the bulk head? in
> other words, where exactly do i find this sensor doodah?
>
> scuse the ignorance... but how come i have to drain the rad again?
>
> thanks Mr Strickland...
>
> mojo
>

> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
> > It sucks to be you.
> >
> > You have to pull the sensor from the bottom of the radiator tank and

clean
> > it, or maybe replace it.
> >
> > You could try unplugging it and cleaning the connector pins just in case
> > there is a poor connection that makes the car think the radiator is

empty.

> > The reason it sucks to be you is that you have to drain the radiator

again

> > "mojo" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Just managed to sort a thermostat replacement problem (long story but
> > > basic symptoms were heater blowing cold, temp needle cold etc).
> > > Everything seems fine now with new t'stat and circulation. however,
> > > now the only niggle i have is that the coolant level warning light on
> > > the dash flashes and bongs. The header tank is full with coolant, the
> > > heater works perfect, the temp needle is nicely sitting in the middle
> > > of the guage and the bleed screw on top of the t'stat housing lets out
> > > only coolant when opened... so i'm wondering what's with the warning?
> > > do i have to reset it somehow or is there something else i'm missing.
> > >
> > > tia
> > >
> > > mojo

A6 (1996) brake pad thickness warning light? John Prendergast Audi 3 November 18th 04 12:22 PM
Coolant Leak: Alfa 87 Graduate KStone Alfa Romeo 1 August 23rd 04 06:46 AM
Coolant level going down very slowly Jorge Fonyat Audi 8 June 11th 04 01:15 AM
Coolant leak help... Quattro Audi 3 June 7th 04 10:24 PM
78 Audi 5000 Cruise Control Warning Light Problem TurboBanana Audi 2 May 25th 04 03:40 PM