Listerine Drinker Arrested for DUI

Old January 19th 05, 03:19 AM
Harry K

Denatured alcohol is alcohol which has been adulterated with additives
which will make you sick if you drink it, and/or make it unpalatable.

Damn, I -knew- that. I don't know where the H* I got the water bit.
Spent some time in a analytic lab.

Harry K

Old January 19th 05, 02:56 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article .com>,
> wrote:
>
>Motorhead Lawyer wrote:
>> C. E. White wrote:

>> alcohol
>> >
>> > I won't stay 200 proof for long. Once you open the bottle,
>> > it will suck moisture from the air and turn itself into 190
>> > proof (or less) just like Harry said.

>> No

>Yes.
>
>A cursory search of the web turns up thousands of hits on the
>ethanol/water azeotrope, and the method of manufacture of absolute
>alcohol, and how drinking liquors get their characteristic flavors.
>
>IIRC, a bottle of opened, lid-off abs. EtOH takes about 3-5 days to
>become 190 proof.

Under what conditions of temperature and humidity? Anyway, you're not
supposed to leave the lid off.
Old January 19th 05, 03:18 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

Harry K wrote:

> Denatured alcohol is alcohol which has been adulterated with

additives
> which will make you sick if you drink it, and/or make it unpalatable.

> Damn, I -knew- that. I don't know where the H* I got the water bit.
> Spent some time in a analytic lab.

You & me both, man. Only mine were R&D/analytical. It's amazing how
much you lose and how fast, isn't it? As Rod Stewart once said, "My
brain is like a sieve."
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; - I think)

Old January 19th 05, 05:46 PM
Bernard Farquart

"Motorhead Lawyer" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Harry K wrote:
>>
>> Denatured alcohol is alcohol which has been adulterated with

> additives
>> which will make you sick if you drink it, and/or make it unpalatable.

>> Damn, I -knew- that. I don't know where the H* I got the water bit.
>> Spent some time in a analytic lab.

> You & me both, man. Only mine were R&D/analytical. It's amazing how
> much you lose and how fast, isn't it? As Rod Stewart once said, "My
> brain is like a sieve."
> --

Oops, it really seems to be, since it was Thomas Dolby
who said it.

http://launch.yahoo.com/track/8769312

Bernard

Old January 21st 05, 05:26 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

Bernard Farquart wrote:
> "Motorhead Lawyer" > wrote in message

> > As Rod Stewart once said, "My
> > brain is like a sieve."
> > --

> Oops, it really seems to be, since it was Thomas Dolby
> who said it.

Dolby might have said it once. So did Roddy. Listen to the crappiest
album Faces ever recorded, "Coast to Coast Live". You know; the one
with 'stellar' bassist Tetsu Yamaguchi (or something like that - who
the hell *cares* how it was spelled?). As they're fumbling through the
setlist, Rod says what I said he did.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Haven't forgotten *that* much!)

Old January 21st 05, 05:47 PM

Motorhead Lawyer wrote:
> wrote:
> > Motorhead Lawyer wrote:

absolute
> > > alcohol

> > > No

> > Yes.
> >
> > A cursory search of the web turns up thousands of hits on the
> > ethanol/water azeotrope, and the method of manufacture of absolute
> > alcohol, and how drinking liquors get their characteristic flavors.

> Well, yeah, if you're willing to take a minute to do any actual
> *research* instead of talking out of your ass like I do. =:^(

Thanks
> for the correction.

No prob - and it's a hell of a lot nicer than the "STFW" comments you
mightget in other newsgroups. LOL.

> > IIRC, a bottle of opened, lid-off abs. EtOH takes about 3-5 days to
> > become 190 proof.

> And thanks for the info. I never leave the lids off.

Yup. For the folks that use 2-5mL each use, and open the bottle twice
a week, I'd say that those folks discard about half a bottle each time.
So there's some math to be done there, but I'm way too lazy. This was
before someone had the bright idea of storing the stuff over molecular
sieve.

> > E.P. (chemistry's my job, mon.)

> It was mine, too, for about 8 years out of college in R&D labs, but
> I've been a lawyer for over 20 years, so you can do the math about

the
> deterioration of common knowledge. I could still tell you how to

make
> phenolic plastic floral foam and synthesizing hindered amines, though

Day-to-day and theoretical minutae have a way of disappearing. Ask me
about the P-Chem classes I took so long ago. I can't even remember the
class titles.

HAND,

E.P.

Old January 21st 05, 06:07 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

> Motorhead Lawyer wrote:
> >
> > And thanks for the info. I never leave the lids off.

> Yup. For the folks that use 2-5mL each use, and open the bottle

twice
> a week, I'd say that those folks discard about half a bottle each

time.
> So there's some math to be done there, but I'm way too lazy. This

was
> before someone had the bright idea of storing the stuff over

molecular
> sieve.

Oh, yeah! Molecular sieves! Almost forgot about them little buggers!
Used to use 'em all the time! Not to mention gallons of various
chlorinated hydrocarbons ...

> Day-to-day and theoretical minutae have a way of disappearing. Ask

me
> about the P-Chem classes I took so long ago. I can't even remember

the
> class titles.

P-Chem was a lot like cabbage. I liked it well enough, but it didn't
like me!
--
C.R. Krieger
("Into the WayBack, Sherman!" - Mr. Peabody)