Porsche 944 taillight question

Old January 13th 05, 03:02 PM
N8N

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Nate Nagel wrote:
>
> >> 944, but I imagine they're of standard European construction
> >> (lenses+reflectors as one component, bulb holder block as another
> >> component). If that is the case, then you can probably get away

with
> >> changing just the bulbholders and keeping your existing

lens-reflector
> >> units.

> > > Why would I need new bulbholders?

> 'Cause according to you, me and the application book we both use,

your
> outer red compartments presently take an R10W, single-filament bulb.

In
> the European setup, this position takes a P21/5W, dual-filament bulb.

The
> sockets are not compatible and cannot be rejiggered for

compatibility.

Unless I was misunderstanding an earlier part of the thread, or an
earlier respondent was in error, some of them used a P21W single
filament bulb which I have and which fits right in. I'd rather not use
dual filament bulbs if I can help it, my own opinion (which is worth
exactly what you paid for it) is the brake lights are more discernible
if they don't share taillamp real estate with parking lights anyway.

> > All right, now that this has been x-posted... anyone know what the

deal
> > is with the fog light switch? PET6 only shows one number for the

fog
> > light switch

> Does your Porsche Elektro-teilekatalog cover worldwide models, or

just
> North American ones?

I have no idea; I DL'd it from the YooKay.

No matter, I eventually ended up searching on eBay and found what I was
looking for on one of the European sites.

nate

Old January 13th 05, 03:38 PM
N8N

Ulf wrote:

> Nate, why do you worry so much about how it is in Europe? Just wire

it
> up as you see fit, no one would care! Rear fog lights isn't even
> something they check at safety inspections. Not to mention, when you

use
> them people hopefully won't be able to see which cluster is on

anyway...

I actually don't have to pass an inspection at all; the car was
inspected when I bought it so it's good for as long as I own it.
(Yeah, the state of MD is screwed up.) I just am kind of anal
retentive about such things, there's no good reason why I do things
just the way I do. Heck, it would be perfectly acceptable to hang an
add-on under the bumper; I just don't like the look. No better reason
than that

nate

Old January 13th 05, 03:38 PM
N8N

Old January 13th 05, 05:38 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, N8N wrote:

> I'd rather not use dual filament bulbs if I can help it, my own opinion
> (which is worth exactly what you paid for it) is the brake lights are
> more discernible if they don't share taillamp real estate with parking
> lights anyway.

That's actually incorrect. The opposite case is true -- reaction to brake
lights is quicker when they are combination brake/tail units. Your way
(with P21 bulb) would also take away your sideward visibility of the
taillamp/sidemarker, which is definitely a step backwards.

If you're going to do it, do it right.

DS
Old January 13th 05, 05:38 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old January 13th 05, 05:53 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, N8N wrote:

> Ulf wrote:

Y'know, Nate, I wouldn't have seen the latest repetition of Ulf's
monotonous idiocy if you hadn't quoted it here. Killfiles and news filters
are wonderful things. Of course there are excellent (and completely
obvious) reasons not to follow his puerile advice to just "wire it up as
you see fit". Too many people already behave like Ulf, treating their
cars' safety equipment as playtoys. If everyone did it...!

DS
Old January 13th 05, 05:53 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old January 13th 05, 07:55 PM
N8N

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, N8N wrote:
>
> > I'd rather not use dual filament bulbs if I can help it, my own

opinion
> > (which is worth exactly what you paid for it) is the brake lights

are
> > more discernible if they don't share taillamp real estate with

parking
> > lights anyway.

> That's actually incorrect. The opposite case is true -- reaction to

brake
> lights is quicker when they are combination brake/tail units. Your

way
> (with P21 bulb) would also take away your sideward visibility of the
> taillamp/sidemarker, which is definitely a step backwards.
>
> If you're going to do it, do it right.
>
> DS

Any reason for that assertion? I'm not questioning you, but it seems
counter-intuitive to me - it would seem on the face of it that a change
of state from "off" to "bright" would be more noticeable than a change
from "dim" to "bright." I realize we're digressing here, but I'd
honestly like to understand...

nate

Old January 13th 05, 07:55 PM
N8N

Old January 14th 05, 02:29 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, N8N wrote:

> > reaction to brake lights is quicker when they are combination
> > brake/tail units. Your way (with P21 bulb) would also take away your
> > sideward visibility of the taillamp/sidemarker, which is definitely a
> > step backwards.

> Any reason for that assertion?

Eyetracker research shows that observers' eyes "prime" on the taillamps
and react faster when a taillamp they're already paying attention to gets
5x brighter, than they do when the taillamp stays the same and another red
light comes on in a different location. The amount of difference is fairly
well related to the distance between the tail and brake functions, which
means Volvo has got it wrong.

Where to get Official Speed Limit Info [email protected] Driving 40 January 3rd 05 08:10 AM
E34 question Vernon Balbert BMW 11 October 27th 04 01:37 PM
JEEP question - 4.0 vs 4.0HO James Morrow 4x4 12 June 2nd 04 05:16 PM
FA: The Porsche Album "Die Porsche Kassette" Julian Standen Antique cars 0 February 27th 04 10:49 PM