Why Manual Transmissions are superior

Old May 26th 05, 09:54 AM

>Only automatics will *never* ever get nearly as simple as the elegant simplicity of the standard 5 speed manuals. <

*5* speed? Is that some new fangled thing? All my manuals were 4-speed,
and I damn well learned to like it. In fact, if you revved it up enough
at a stop, you could start off in 2nd speed instead of 1st, so really
you were only using 2-3-4 speeds.

Old May 26th 05, 02:35 PM
Larry Bud

> The grade sensor doesn't cost much, I'm sure.

We in the auto industry try to save *PENNIES* on each piece, because
when you multiply that by 15 million units, it adds up to real money.

When I was back at Chrysler a few years ago, they had a program that
rewarded employees for coming up with cost reduction ideas.

Old May 26th 05, 04:39 PM

#1 Slush box means the same damn thing as automatic tranny.

#2 Just because slush boxes now have locking torque converters doesn't
mean that they are no longer slush boxes.

As it stands, it is you who are the ignoramous.

Old May 26th 05, 04:41 PM

#1 Slush box means the same damn thing as automatic tranny.

#2 Just because slush boxes now have locking torque converters doesn't
mean that they are no longer slush boxes.

As it stands, it is you who are the ignoramous.

THIS WAS IN RESPONSE TO:

<<<<Speaking of showing ignorance... The old 'slush box' thing went
out
back by the 80s at least. Modern autos have total lockup with only a
bit of slip during shifts. There is no realistic mpg advantage to
either one when driven for economy.

Harry K >>>>

Old May 26th 05, 09:22 PM
Roy Shroyer

"Magnulus" > wrote in message
. ..

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> You have an auto matic trans in your Volkswagen?! What a sacralige.

> What's a sacralige about it? I don't drive manuals. The same is true
> with most Americans. And FWIW, the automatic Volkswagens are just fine,
> thank you.
>
> The grade sensor doesn't cost much, I'm sure. Actually, automatic
> transmissions now days are far simpler mechanicly than the ones in the
> past,
> since they are now computer controlled.

a clutch is a heck of a lot cheaper to repair than a malfunctioning
automatic trans.

I've had bad luck with every brand of auto trans I ever had. They fail
mysteriously and often catastrophically.

And, MTs are just more intersting and fun to drive than autos IMO.

Old May 27th 05, 01:10 AM

Finally someone agrees with me.

Driving a car with an automatic slush box is not driving.

It's not about driving the car; It's about *being* the car.

Old May 27th 05, 03:22 AM
Old Wolf

Harry K wrote:

> Speaking of showing ignorance... The old 'slush box' thing went out
> back by the 80s at least. Modern autos have total lockup with only a
> bit of slip during shifts. There is no realistic mpg advantage to
> either one when driven for economy.

When I converted my car from auto to manual, the mileage
improved by 15% immediately. Also, for motorway driving,
overdrive in the auto was a longer ratio than 5th in
the manual. How do you explain that?

Old May 27th 05, 04:49 AM

This mans got a point here. Autos slush boxes are real gas guzzlers.
They aught to be banned from being sold. If you are too lazy to shift
gears, THAN DON'T DRIVE! Stay off the road!!! I don't want some lazy
dork with the slush box driving near me. Such idiot drivers are lazy
and inattentive.

<<<<When I converted my car from auto to manual, the mileage
improved by 15% immediately. Also, for motorway driving,
overdrive in the auto was a longer ratio than 5th in
the manual. How do you explain that?>>>>

It's official. Manual transmissions are making a comeback. Gordon McGrew Honda 44 March 28th 05 05:39 PM
Fluids/Additives for Manual Transmissions Death Technology 0 December 15th 04 12:10 AM
Shop manual price Black Bomb Corvette 1 August 11th 04 03:27 PM
Ebay auction 1993 626 Mazda Factory Service Manual Dale Alexander General 0 March 14th 04 05:11 AM