1990 Honda Accord: trunk still leaks

Old September 28th 06, 02:15 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
John Smith[_6_]

Default 1990 Honda Accord: trunk still leaks

I have a 1990 Honda Accord DX. Few months ago, I found that its
trunk leaked. I caulked the tailgate light gasket. That fixed the
leaking problem of the driver's side but the passenger side still
leaked. I caulked it again, and eventually five times, to no
avail. I knew a new gasket would not help. But just to be sure, I
bought a new gasket from a Honda dealer to replace the old one.
And, as I had expected, it did not help.

There are two indentations on the edge (right and left) of the
trunk near the wheel. Now, when it rains, the right one is usually
full of water.

Any idea where it might be leaking?
Old September 28th 06, 05:34 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
TE Chea

| I have a 1990 Honda Accord
| its trunk leaked

same in mine ( japan made ), looks like a design flaw

Old October 1st 06, 11:29 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Cousin It

I had the same problem on my 91. I caulked the taillight gaskets and I also
caulked the seams in the rain gutter where the rear quarter panels are
joined to the trunk. Fixed my leaking problem.

Old October 2nd 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Frank Boettcher

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 21:15:48 -0400, John Smith >
wrote:

>I have a 1990 Honda Accord DX. Few months ago, I found that its
>trunk leaked. I caulked the tailgate light gasket. That fixed the
>leaking problem of the driver's side but the passenger side still
>leaked. I caulked it again, and eventually five times, to no
>avail. I knew a new gasket would not help. But just to be sure, I
>bought a new gasket from a Honda dealer to replace the old one.
>And, as I had expected, it did not help.
>
>There are two indentations on the edge (right and left) of the
>trunk near the wheel. Now, when it rains, the right one is usually
>full of water.
>
>Any idea where it might be leaking?

Tail lights can usually be eliminated if the leak occurs with the
trunk lid down. They usually fill up with water and then leak out
when you open and lift the lid. I had that problem and fixed it with
a combination of a new gasket and supplemental caulk.

Frank
Old October 16th 06, 12:35 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

sometimes the taillights fill up with water because the gasket sealing
the unit ages-not the gasket between the unit and the car. Then when
they get about half full they pour out into the trunk.

sometimes, as my 92 coupe, the rear window gasket ages and shrinks and
then rain sneaks down inside the car and lends on the wheel arch behind
the trim panel and then lands in the area you describe.

Remove as much trim as you can and then climb in the trunk during a
rainstorm (from the passenger compartment, leave the seat lowered) and
see if you can see where it is coming from.

HTH
norman

Old October 16th 06, 03:06 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_5_]

"...." > wrote in message
---snip---

> Remove as much trim as you can and then climb in the trunk during a
> rainstorm (from the passenger compartment, leave the seat lowered)
> and see if you can see where it is coming from.

Or have an assistant hose the area with a garden hose, while you watch from
inside.

Earle