Kleen Wheels?

Old July 28th 04, 07:48 PM
Thundersmash

Default Kleen Wheels?

My '99 Audi A6 Quattro generates a significant amount of brake dust .. has
anyone used products like Kleen Wheels:

http://www.kleenwheels.com/

to deal with this? I'm curious about opinions on whether this is safe and
effective.

Thanks!

Old July 28th 04, 08:28 PM
Scott McKernon

The only thing that I would worry about would be overheating the brakes by
restricting the airflow.
Products like that have been around for years. The way I would address the
problem would be to
install a good set of low dust brake pads like PBR/Axxis/Repco Metal Masters
(pick one--they're all the same).

--
R. Scott McKernon
Store Manager

www.olyparts.com

Old July 28th 04, 08:52 PM
Dave LaCourse

Thudersmash writes:

>My '99 Audi A6 Quattro generates a significant amount of brake dust .. has
>anyone used products like Kleen Wheels:
>
>http://www.kleenwheels.com/
>
>to deal with this? I'm curious about opinions on whether this is safe and
>effective.
>
>Thanks!

It would work very well, until your discs are destroyed from over-heating.
Devices like this are not recommended by any mechanic I have ever talked with.
Such devices screw up the airflow to the brakes, causing a rise in temp.

My RS6 produces more brake dust than any disc brakes car I've ever owned (5
Audis and a Porsche with discs). I clean them twice a week. It's a bit of a
pain, however......d;o)

Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Old July 29th 04, 01:08 AM
Curtis Newton

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:28:09 -0400, "Scott McKernon"
> wrote:

>The only thing that I would worry about would be overheating the brakes by
>restricting the airflow.
>Products like that have been around for years. The way I would address the
>problem would be to
>install a good set of low dust brake pads like PBR/Axxis/Repco Metal Masters
>(pick one--they're all the same).

I hate the brake dust on my A4, are these pads 'rotor friendly'??

Old July 29th 04, 04:41 AM
Adam Schwartz

In article >,
Curtis Newton > wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:28:09 -0400, "Scott McKernon"
> > wrote:
>
> >The only thing that I would worry about would be overheating the brakes by
> >restricting the airflow.
> >Products like that have been around for years. The way I would address the
> >problem would be to
> >install a good set of low dust brake pads like PBR/Axxis/Repco Metal Masters
> >(pick one--they're all the same).

> I hate the brake dust on my A4, are these pads 'rotor friendly'??

I have installed the Mintex Red-box brake pads on my 2000 Audi S4 - Its
WAYYYY better than the factory pads. You still need to clean the wheels
every so often - but right now its been almost a month since I have
cleaned the wheels...

-Adam
Old July 29th 04, 02:02 PM
Scott McKernon

If you are using OE or better quality rotors like Brembo, Ate, Zimmermann
etc.,
wear should not be a concern. If your rotors are worn, replace them.
As Adam wrote, Mintex are also very good pads.
The problem with the OE stuff is that they all produce massive amounts of
black dust.
I recommended Metal Masters because in my experience, they produce the least
amount
of dust.

Old July 29th 04, 02:14 PM
spare-me-spam

Have been using PBR Deluxe on an E34 530, E46 323 and an A4.

Much, MUCH better as to dusting, and no rotor problems at all with
Bradi, Brembo, and BMW OE rotors.
--

ervers.com...

Old July 30th 04, 08:47 PM
C.R. Krieger

"Thundersmash" > wrote in message >...
> My '99 Audi A6 Quattro generates a significant amount of brake dust .. has
> anyone used products like Kleen Wheels:
>
> http://www.kleenwheels.com/
>
> to deal with this? I'm curious about opinions on whether this is safe and
> effective.

They're definitely effective. I got a pair on my 'newest' E28 BMW and
they work quite well. HOWEVER ...

They work by inhibiting airflow out of the wheel. While they're
vented, it's not enough to compensate in high speed braking or
repeated heavy braking such as you'd see in mountains, etc. I have
experienced fade from the OEM BMW pads in a few casual laps at Road
America and maybe one other time when I was driving 'briskly' on the
street. In normal ('sane') driving, though, I've had no problems with
them. I will be removing them for future track events.

IMO, a set of PBR (fka Axxis fka Repco) Metalmaster pads is a more
effective use of your funds. They cost nearly the same.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)
Old July 31st 04, 03:54 AM
Troy Bruder

Do you notice more dust on the front or rear?? My 03 A4 generates a TON of
brake dust on the rear rims... I think that's very odd..

"Thundersmash" > wrote in message
> My '99 Audi A6 Quattro generates a significant amount of brake dust .. has
> anyone used products like Kleen Wheels:
>
> http://www.kleenwheels.com/
>
> to deal with this? I'm curious about opinions on whether this is safe and
> effective.
>
> Thanks!

alfa speedline alloy wheels tjd Alfa Romeo 2 January 4th 05 07:47 AM
for sale: a set of 4 panasport 14x6 wheels for an alfa romeo bob wass Alfa Romeo 0 October 25th 04 08:54 PM
Silly question - can't get the wheels off my 156 JTS! Steve Knight Alfa Romeo 17 July 28th 04 08:53 PM
Alloy Wheels Tom Boltwood Alfa Romeo 14 July 4th 04 10:28 AM
GT Wheels on a 156 Graeme Cosgrove Alfa Romeo 1 May 15th 04 05:08 PM